Work colleague block booking desired holiday dates

Comments

• Mulder00
    Mulder00 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    inglorius wrote: »
    I know what I'll be doing next year when the holiday planner goes up in January
    You seem more concerned around wanting to take leave just to spite your colleague, rather than plan holidays for when you want to take them.

I suspect that if your colleague booked leave in February, you would probably find a reason to be unhappy about that too.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2018 at 4:25PM
    NeilCr wrote: »
    I still think the OP should try sorting this out amicably first without taking nuclear options.

These two have to work together and if they go tit for tat it will only get worse As a manager I’d be highly unimpressed if two of my managers couldn’t work this out between them.

And, yes, I agree that it was not good the way the other person booked their leave. But, we still don’t know, as far as I can see what the leave policy is. The OP has been asked a number of times but is yet to reply

Of course you do that first. Goes without saying. I work in a team of 5 never needed much input from any managers. In fact we would tell them they are not welcome. But over the years we have the odd selfish person. We reciprocate the selfish as an object lesson and it always works.

Even first come first served is a weak management system. As you can get one person book all the time of first around bank holidays or school.
  • Mulder00 wrote: »
    You seem more concerned around wanting to take leave just to spite your colleague, rather than plan holidays for when you want to take them.

I suspect that if your colleague booked leave in February, you would probably find a reason to be unhappy about that too.

You've not obviously read or understood my post to form your own conclusion on this. Why would I be bothered about February, its the prime bank holiday weeks that I originally posted about
  • In my previous job the managers used to swan in and out of the office, take extended breaks and rub it in the noses of the people under them.

Not saying that you are that type, but I learnt two things in that job:

1. Many people adopt the "I'm alright attitude" and if you can't negotiate with them, join them (to an extent).

2. Dog eat dog world.

You've either got to accept that you lost here (play the game better next time), or realise that it isn't a game you want to play and rise above it/let other people play their game.

Agreed, I've moved on now at least I have an understanding now of my colleagues self motivated attitude which I will take as a learning for future use. Thanks for the balanced reply.
  • scd3scd4 wrote: »

Even first come first served is a weak management system. As you can get one person to book all the time of first around bank holidays or school.

Agreed, as in the case in question here. Certain people will always exploit the system where they are allowed to their own advantage.
  • Smidster wrote: »
    I would as yourself is this an argument that you really want to get into.

If you have a particular reason why you really want a particular date then have a word to see if you are able to come to a compromise but otherwise I would let it go and make a mental note to be first next year.

Agreed, have moved on now but made a mental reminder of how my peer behaves in situations like this for future reference. Thanks for the sensible advice.
  • scd3scd4 wrote: »
    I would book the next three years off and see how they like it!

At my work we share and have a casual chat.

Is sharing a difficult concept.

Sharing is a difficult concept for some people yes I agree, especially in this instance.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mulder00 wrote: »

Based on their latest replies I think your assessment is correct.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Mulder00
    Mulder00 Posts: 508 Forumite
    inglorius wrote: »
    You've not obviously read or understood my post to form your own conclusion on this. Why would I be bothered about February, its the prime bank holiday weeks that I originally posted about
    I read it all and understood it all. You are upset that your colleague went and booked all of their leave without having any holidays planned in that time. You do not have any holidays planned in that time either, so want to do the same thing to them next year.

From everything you have said, it seems like you have had a brief discussion about it with them, but with no viable option or plan (e.g. wanting to take any specific time off for any specific reason), but you were quick to complain pretty high up in management about it.

Plan your holidays for the year and then see where the overlaps are, and then have the discussion with your colleague if there are any overlaps. You might find that there are no overlaps.

I was using February as an example that you are more upset about the principle, rather than having any specific need or requirement to book off what you seem to think are "prime" dates (they are not in my mind because holidays are super expensive at those times).
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would've thought that, expecially over the Easter period, it would've been good management to suggest that one person should be allowed one week and another the other.

As far as the other days go, I think around bank holidays are the worst times to have off.

The other times to avoid are the school holidays.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure