Do charity shops mind if you find work shortly after starting work with them?

If someone started volunteering for a charity shop, but then shortly after found employment, do the charity shop management look poorly at that? Has anybody here been in this situation and how was it?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Got2Save wrote: »
    If someone started volunteering for a charity shop, but then shortly after found employment, do the charity shop management look poorly at that? Has anybody here been in this situation and how was it?
    It depends on a whole range of other aspects.

Ultimately does it matter?
  • Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite
    Wouldn't of thought so.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    If a charity shops looks poorly on somebody gaining paid employment, they aren't being very charitable are they?
  • Why not ask them outright - if doing it for a reference you are best trying to get hold of their policy anyway, nowadays, I'm afraid.

Reference giving isn't a statutory duty.

I recently started a month long temporary job which gave out brand new uniform/safety boots whether they are inconvenienced or not.

With reason, you look after number one.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Until recently I was a volunteer manager, recruiting and managing volunteers. Not only was it hard to find volunteers to begin with, it was hard to keep them. Unless it was a retired person, they usually left for paid work. Its expected. It was sad to lose a good volunteer but I felt happy for them.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Surely if a charity shop takes on an unemployed volunteer, they should be expecting them to be looking elsewhere for paid employment?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    People have all sorts of reasons for volunteering, and charities know this.

Some charities will spell out the minimum commitment they're looking for - we ask for one shift a month (it's not retail), for at least a year, because there's some initial training we provide and it takes time for you to be really useful.

Having said that, our volunteers are ... volunteers! So we completely understand if 'life' gets in the way, or you find our work is not for you, or you do get a job. We just ask you to think before you volunteer about what you can commit to - and if you're planning to go round the world in six months time, and you told us that, we'd respectfully suggest that now is not the time to start volunteering with us.

So yes, ask what commitment they're asking for. If they're vague, explain your situation. But remember, you are a volunteer. :-)
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • I think you just need to be honest with people. If you tell them that you are happy to volunteer but may find it difficult once you find work, that's perfectly fine.
  • ...and if you could find it in your heart to do something like a shift a month (on a Saturday or Sunday maybe?) I'm sure they would be delighted. AND it would help the charity........
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure