PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land registry information

I've just been looking at the land registry online (http://www.landregisteronline.gov.uk/) and it looks really good.

In the first instance I want to purchse all of the relevant documents for my flat. Will the title register contain plans of the property boundary? For example http://www.landregisteronline.gov.uk/lro/resources/example_register.pdf doesn't contain any plans. I assume that it will contain plans.

Edit: I've worked it out now and I want the title plan.
http://www.landregisteronline.gov.uk/lro/examples.htm

Eventually I want to purchase the deeds to the other 8 flats and the neighbouring 6 houses so I can fully unravel the garage situation.
Happy chappy

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I would get both parts - for £4 you know what's what. It will show if there was a covenant put on your flat allowing someone else to use the garage or similar.

I would guess the person you bought off had a long standing unofficial arrangement that allowed someone to use the garage - this is not your problem.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the info. I've actually just downloaded the deeds to all 9 flats and 3 houses to try and work out what is what. Noone else is shown as owning my garage, but 4 garages are unaccounted for!
    Happy chappy
  • silvercar
    I would guess that the developer sold the flats with a garage available as an extra on the purchase price. Some of the original purchasers bought and some didn't leaving the developer with 4 unsold garages. The freeholder probably leased/ rented these 4 garages out.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • tomstickland
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Something like that maybe. The main thing is that I've found no anomalies in the deeds with regard to my garage.
    Happy chappy
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Silvercar may have a point. there are garages at the back of my development, that I could have chosen to buy one if I wanted. A parking space was 23k though, so god knows what the garages would have cost. obviously no chance. Presumably the freeholder contines to own them till they get purchased?
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • tomstickland
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I've been a bit stressed about this garage thing TBH. Tonight I'm having a beer for the first time in a week and it's becoming clearer now. The deeds show it clearly as mine, legally it's watertight. All I need to do is locate any current user and find out what's going on. If I receive no info within 2 weeks then I'm going to force entry and see what's inside. If it does contain anything then I'm going to ask the solictor to write to the vendors explaining that I'm taking possession of my garage and asking them to confirm that they have no knowledge of what's in it or who might own the contents. #

My current suspicion is that the vendor might just be wanting to hold onto the garage. The other option is that they genuinley don't know anything about it and it was sold by a previous vendor.
    Happy chappy
  • Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Ah, the value of beer to give insight into the troubled world around us! ;)

If you could bottle it, you'd make a fortune. :j

Oh, someone thought of that already. :mad:

:beer:
  • silvercar
    Legally its yours. You can force entry to your own property any time you want. Also, the vendor was supposed to leave you with vacant possession ie they should have cleared out the garage - bill them for any clearance you need to do.
  • tomstickland
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes, I'm happy with that. I'm just going to move a bit gently at first, just in case someone is using the garage in the best of faith, but legally in the wrong.
    Ah, the value of beer to give insight into the troubled world around us!
    Black Sheep Golden Sheep Pale Ale
    Mmmmmmmmmmm
    £4 for 3 bottles at Tesco at the moment.
    Happy chappy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport