Domain hosting

I don't know if this is in the right place but sorry if it isn't.

My friend and I have just started a new business and want to create a blog (and later, a website) but we haven't got a huge amount of money. We rely on donations at the moment.

We will be uploading lots of videos to the blog. so we need speed, reliability and performance.

Bluehost offered us hosting for £236 for a year, and condering we have only just started, may sound good, but we haven't got the money yet!

We are hoping to create the blog with WordPress.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    £236?! You're having a giraffe, surely? You don't need to go anywhere near three figures.

Videos can and will eat a large amount of data and bandwidth, but these days you don't need to worry about that, just upload them all to a YouTube channel you can create (and if you want, unlist them so they don't show up in the search), then just embed the videos in your blog posts.

Most providers will provide WordPress as part of the offering anyway, you usually just tick a box in the control panel to say I want this, that and the other. Or failing that you can install it manually.
  • tommy2k8
    tommy2k8 Posts: 96 Forumite
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    £236?! You're having a giraffe, surely? You don't need to go anywhere near three figures.

Videos can and will eat a large amount of data and bandwidth, but these days you don't need to worry about that, just upload them all to a YouTube channel you can create (and if you want, unlist them so they don't show up in the search), then just embed the videos in your blog posts.

Most providers will provide WordPress as part of the offering anyway, you usually just tick a box in the control panel to say I want this, that and the other. Or failing that you can install it manually.

Thankyou for the advice, yes you did see right, £236!
    Anyway, which provider would you go with? I was thinking 1and1.
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Or self host, https is easy even these days with letsencrypt, and as stated you can host videos on youtube. A raspberry pi would be sufficient to host a basic website.
  • tommy2k8
    tommy2k8 Posts: 96 Forumite
    Thankyou for your advice, we will look into it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure