Only cruises - cruise deals for all

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    zolablue25 wrote: »
    Looks like a good deal GM4L, but we wouldn't want to be away for Xmas. We're a bit traditional for that sort of thing.

Good point regarding indoor pools but also, my wife has said that she would like to walk about on deck in the evening without feeling cold (I know, not really helping am I!).

I appreciate you taking the time to help even if it appears that I am only bringing problems!

I nearly booked us on the Queen Vic over the weekend. Cunard were having a sale and there was, what I thought to be, a good deal. Showed my wife the ship and she cooed all over it but my daughter said 'I think that's too posh'. She was probably right, I don't suppose they are particularly great for families with young kids, so I left it.

It's your cruise and with 2 women to please you cannot afford to make any mistakes.

I know what you mean about too posh it is not for every one and with kids it is important to make sure they have a ship that is suitable so needs research.
    We do like posh but not every trip this time we have just booked Azamara allthough this is resort casual the product is a step beyond our known comfort zone but feels like it will fit, if we are wrong then at least we have tried.
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thomson Dream
    8 December
    Caribbean
    14 nights
    £599

Gill's Cruises
  • Mands
    Mands Posts: 740 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Azamara is small and looks a bit special(only just started the research) but not for everyone, no fancy shows or rock climbing walls here.

I've sailed Azamara and, in all good conscience, I couldn't recommend it for a family with children.

There are no children's activities that I'm aware of; no child or teenager friendly areas of the ship apart from a ping-pong table on the open pool deck. The decor is dark and quite formal even though the dress code is resort casual.

We enjoyed our Azamara cruise (Western Med) but I'd be concerned that a child would be underwhelmed by the ship. There were about half a dozen on our cruise but they were traveling as part of a large family so the children were able to keep each other entertained but even then there were some looks of disapproval from other passengers.

There would also be the issue of paying a (semi) all-inclusive rate when the child wouldn't get the benefit of some of the amenities.

Sorry, the ships are lovely but I'd suggest the OP looks at a different cruise line.

Mands
  • getmore4less
    No one recomended this trip for anyone for that matter its just a deal for people to consider.

You may have mixed up the sub thread of zolablue25 with the general this is a deal posts.

Usefull info for those with kids that might have taken a look.
  • Mands
    No one recomended this trip for anyone

Glad we're in agreement that it's not suitable for zolablue's circumstances; it did look like you were suggesting it as an option.

Hope you enjoy your cruise; the Journey is a lovely ship.
    Mands
  • I don't know if this is the right place to post so apologies in advance but all these crusie deals everyone is posting about sound great.

My fiancee and I are want to go on a cruise for our honeymoon for the middle of March.

Has anyone got any suggestions of where we should go and any advice on picking a particular kind of ship and cruise company.

We are not fussed where we go and with which cruise liner as long as we don't have to dress formal for every dinner.

I am assuming the deals in march are going to be dearer than december/January?

Any suggestions on where to look for the deals like teletext would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks:j
  • Mands
    My fiancee and I are want to go on a cruise for our honeymoon for the middle of March.

Has anyone got any suggestions of where we should go and any advice on picking a particular kind of ship and cruise company.

We are not fussed where we go and with which cruise liner as long as we don't have to dress formal for every dinner.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding :-)

If you can spare some time then it's worth getting to know the profiles of some of the cruise lines, that way you'll have an idea if they fit into what you might be comfortable with.

You say you don't want to dress up every night. Even the very formal lines don't tend not to expect formal dress each night so if you, or your partner, want the chance to dress up some nights then that's an option.

Things you might want to consider:

Do you want a big ship with lots of entertainment or a small ship where the ship itself and your fellow passengers are more important? The range is, in broad terms, from 6k to a couple of hundred.

Do you want fixed dining where you sit down to eat with the same people at the same time each night or do you want to have some flexibility?

Have you thought where you want to cruise? In March the two biggest options are a rather cool Med or the Caribbean at the end of their season. There's always the Baltic, Asia, southern hemisphere if they don't appeal.

Have you got any idea of budget? If so, and based on the considerations above, folks here might have some suggestions.

In the meantime it'd be worth checking out somewhere like VacationsToGo profiles of the different cruise lines. No connection with them other than as a happy customer.

http://www.vacationstogo.com/cruise_lines.cfm

Happy researching!
    Mands
  • getmore4less

Mands has covered a lot of things but the y key will be,

whats the budget.

First time pick can be a nightmare and will take time to get it right.

There are 3 componants to the total

Up front cruise/flight costs

On board spends

On shore spends

these all vary a lot from ship to ship and itinerary

Also you might want to consider the age profile of the pax, for some itineraries it won't make a lot of difference but others it will.

March should be OK price wise nearer the time, there will be the odd deal.

I think the Easter holidays are going to be busy this year with the extra holiday so that might reduce the demand for March.

where do you fancy going?
  • Thanks guys for all the useful tips they are much appreciated.

We have a budget of around £1K each including flights but that's not set in stone.
    We don't mind where we go a cool med (but only if there's lots of entertainment on board) the carribean or anywhere else in the world.
    Probably on top of our cruise budget we would need about £500 each for on board/on shore spends.
    We don't mind formal dress for the odd evening but not every night.
    We are a young couple so it would be nice if there was a mixture of ages on board.
    As I am a fussy eater a good choice of foods or restaurants to eat at on board would be good.

Apart from my tastes in food I am open to any suggestions you kind folks have.

P.S. Can you find cruise bargains like you can holidays e.g. through teletext etc. and are the last minute deals posted on holiday sites about 2 weeks before like ordinary holidays are? I do know my folks have gone to Majorca for a month before and while they were there booked a cruise from palma for a week for something silly like £200 the day before departure???
  • getmore4less
    edited 29 November 2010 at 3:33PM
    I will think about the rest of the questions but here is the teletext link for on-line access part way down for the cruise pages, many but not all deals end up here.

http://www.teletextholidays.co.uk/TV_Text_Offers/

hint : if you know a bit of HTML you can set up tout own page to downloads the tv images and make up your own pag(es) withh them all on for easy access,, I have them in a tab group so can see the lot in a few seconds.

Do you have a date in mind(to fit with the wedding?) Would going before be a problem

OK to give an example of what might be possible(not saying this is the right or nesy option or agent just an example)
    http://www.planetcruise.co.uk/offers/pando_transat1.php?cmp=eml357
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport