Serious issues with solicitor

curtis122
curtis122 Posts: 177 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 7 December 2019 at 11:55AM in Insurance & life assurance
My father has gone to a legal company to get a contract raised that puts his property in a trust that means in the event of his death his house comes to myself and his partners daughter.

He has paid out more than £7k for a contract that was raised with numerous errors, they still address them in the incorrect names whether on the phone or in letters despite telling them its wrong many times.

A representative has come round to their house for us to sign contracts and do an ID check which ended up being wrong as he had not spoken to a solicitor as part of the ID check which he would have known when he was leaving that appointment despite saying that it was all done and ok. Several more appointments were made and at the last minute cancelled (on the day) this has cost me money as self employed. They now have cancelled the next appointment 3 days before saying that they can no longer do ID checks at a home and we now have to at our expense travel 50 miles to their office or go to another solicitors and pay at our expense for them to do an ID check.
The whole experience has been shocking and we all now have little confidence in them that when that contract needs to be actioned that it is correct and will be ok.

My question is can we change solicitors at this late stage? Given their service can we leave and get our money back?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Why does he need a trust to do that? Can't he just put it in his will?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Are they an actual firm of solicitors or are they a will writing company?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    7K for assuming it is a will, you been ripped off.

I got quoted 1 k for will writing and changing my parents property to tenants in common.

Ended up doing it myself and getting a free will from a solicitor as part of charity
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • curtis122
    curtis122 Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 December 2019 at 1:38PM
    I believe they are a legal firm that have solicitors they use.
    It is not a will its setting up a trust and just putting in a will could mean its contested or if either of them were to remarry for example.

The property is effectively being moved into our name so no-one can touch it if circumstances change but is it possible if you are unhappy with them and their service to leave them and get your money back and go to someone else?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure