Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 20th Oct 06, 11:54 AM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Do You Need Financial Advice? When To Get It, When Not To Get It Discussion Area
    • #1
    • 20th Oct 06, 11:54 AM
    Do You Need Financial Advice? When To Get It, When Not To Get It Discussion Area 20th Oct 06 at 11:54 AM

    This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

    Do You Need Financial Advice? When To Get It, When Not To Get It Article

    To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply
    Report inappropriate posts:

Page 14
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 12th Feb 19, 9:56 AM
    • 5,282 Posts
    • 8,715 Thanks
    Where should she be looking for advice in relation to her situation, and in particular taxation (for instance will her ISAs lose their “tax free” status once she moves?
    Originally posted by KittaKatta
    She may want to try a forum for UK-Swiss expats or ask some friends in Switzerland for a recommendation. Be cautious however as there are a lot of sharks in the expat market, even in a country like Switzerland which you'd assume would have a high standard of regulation.

    They will still be ISAs but that will have no meaning within the Swiss tax system; they will be taxed the same as any other offshore investment.

    Is it preferable for her to keep the house in the UK and rent it out, or would it be preferable to sell it)?
    If she had a few hundred grand in cash right now would she invest it all in a single buy-to-let property in a foreign country? And why the UK in particular? Because ignoring capital gains tax and similar issues, it's the same decision from an asset allocation perspective.

    In addition to the usual risks and hassles of asset-specific risk, voids, bad tenants, maintenance, etc, she will also have the issue of either running the property or finding a decent letting agent from 500+ miles away, and staying up to date with taxation and legislation issues in a foreign country.

    This assumes she won't want to ever return to the property or use it as a pied-a-terre. And the other benefit of keeping the house is that with a UK residential address she can open new accounts in the UK and keep her money within the UK regulatory system if she prefers (a limited number of providers will potentially accept business from Swiss residents if they have a UK address).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,283Posts Today

7,736Users online

Martin's Twitter