Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bluenose123
    • By Bluenose123 10th Feb 19, 10:05 AM
    • 26Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Bluenose123
    Buy to Let in North East
    • 10th Feb 19, 10:05 AM
    Buy to Let in North East 10th Feb 19 at 10:05 AM
    I am looking to purchase a buy to let property in the North East around the Durham/Darlington area for under 100k.
    Looking on Rightmove you can get modern 2 and 3 bedroom properties in the area well under 100k so looking for areas towns villages that let out well and those to avoid.

Would be interested to hear from any landlords in the North East .
Page 2
    • Bluenose123
    • By Bluenose123 11th Feb 19, 9:56 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Bluenose123
    Thanks Fiisch. Main reason for County Durham is price but I also like the area which is important as we aim to move back to the uk in 5 to 10 years time.
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 11th Feb 19, 10:46 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    Thanks Zero Sum . Middle of nowhere is great for me as used to live in Mid Wales and 10 miles round trip to nearest shop but thats not going to be great for buy to let so will need to look at a compromise . Would therefore prefer somewhere where we could find working tenants easily and low crime area. Seaham looks nice and by the sea which is a bonus but possibly outside our price range as prefer newer properties and think they would let easier. Are you from the area and do you have property you rent out . Would be interested to hear your thoughts on which areas we should be looking at and also places to avoid . From doing my own research I have heard that places like Stanley, Esh Winning, Easington Lane, Peterlee and Wheatley Hill should be avoided but great to get views from anyone from the area..
    Originally posted by Bluenose123
    Im originally from the East Durham area, dont have any BTL's
    Most of the area are pit villages with quite a bit deprevation. Seaham probably is the best in that area which i guess is reflected in prices. Peterlee isnt actually that bad. Its the main town in east durham. Its got some rough parts (1970's brutalist council estates) but also some decent areas that edge on castle eden dene. Although these will be in the 120k - 140k price bracket. Along with pockets of new build estate in areas that were once less desireable than they are now.

Houghton is not a bad shout. Its got a small town centre, a few pubs including a wetherspoons.
    Centrally located between Sunderland & Durham. Not too far off A1 for access to Metro centre & newcastle

Any of the villages with a few miles from Durham city which look cheap, avoid. You cant be that close to a nice place like Durham & be cheap without a reason. My inlaws are from that area & some of the surrounding areas arent great.

Further west im not that familiar with but you are getting more out in the sticks & a bit more rural.
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 12th Feb 19, 6:09 AM
    • 792 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    Another thing to consider is Council Tax. In Durham its quite expensive as most of the areas also have parish precepts. Houghton is actually part of Sunderland who have the cheapest council tax in the north east.
    • Bluenose123
    • By Bluenose123 12th Feb 19, 7:35 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Bluenose123
    Thanks . I have been looking at streetcheeker when
    Looking at properties https://www.streetcheck.co.uk/postcode/dh58dp so can see stats on the area. The property I have seen in Houghton Le Spring is on kirklea road . Anyone know that part of town and if so what's it like.
    Last edited by Bluenose123; 12-02-2019 at 7:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,510Posts Today

5,798Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin