Npower Obscenities – is it just me?

Comments

• ChrisDB
    ChrisDB Posts: 11 Forumite
    DawnCrush wrote: »
    I would hate any action to result against you if you are unable to prove your case - as proving your case is about the only defence you could have if action were taken against you. Whether you prove it or not, it can became very expensive fighting it, as MSE Martin will no doubt attest to in his attempt to fight another place, where a gentleman's retreat on both sides was the sensible resolution in the end.

Thanks DawnCrush for all your information! With regards to the point about proving my case, thankfully I don't have to do this. Although I have a screenshort of the obscenities on the Xoserve database, Npower's complaints team spotted and confirmed what I saw when I was on the phone to them. They didn't admit or deny it was their wrong doing at that point and 15 days later they said it was fixed and the complaint was closed. Yes, clearly I'm still angry about it because of the casual nature in which Npower took this. More than one person I mentioned this to said that I should take legal action but I just wanted to leave. This post wasn't about getting Npower to take further action but more to find out if anyone else had experience this problem. I'd rather not feel like I was the only victim, especially as my dealings with their complaints team had always been polite. I had no idea an Npower rep was likely to visit this forum. It's rather too late for an apology and the case is closed so this is just the aftermath - am I the only one? We'll see. Perhaps others are yet to find out and they'll find this post in the future.
  • ChrisDB
    D_M_E wrote: »
    If you want to get a quick response, try posting an image of what they have done on their social media profiles - that should get their attention and may also get you replies by more people who have found the same thing.

Nice idea! Although unfortunately there's enough of my correct address left between the obscenities and I wouldn't want this out in the public domain. I considered attaching an edited version on here but a) it would seem wrong to edit it because then someone might think I simply added the obscenities myself and b) I wondered if the obscene words in an attachment would break forum rules.
  • ChrisDB
    Smodlet wrote: »
    OMG. I am in the process of switching away from nPower right now. One shall see what one shall see but I am no stranger to their complaints procedure...

Hopefully it will go smoothly for you. Have you ever tried asking to speak to someone in authority in their complaints department? I did wonder about doing that but I didn't think it would do much good.
  • ChrisDB
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but it's difficult to apply obscenity filters to addresses. The good people of Cockermouth for example would have difficulty in getting services. And I remember a true story in Computer Weekly about 20 years ago when Scunthorpe Council introduced a new email system, and no emails were getting through.

I had a very firm row with my IT department, when they were blocking me sending or receiving spreadsheets containing hardcore tonnages.

Thanks Nick! 20 years ago I used to work for a company that had 'analysis' in their business name. When they installed software to check rude words when staff surfed the internet I was pulled in and asked to explain why I was regularly visiting a website with 'anal' in it. I simply had my browser set to the company home page. So they changed the software to be more sensitive and not pick up parts of words. Something like Cockermouth falls into the same category. Since it was possible to fix this 20 years ago I assume it's a lot more sophisticated now.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    This is interesting.

However it normally takes 28 days + to get it changed so you have been quite lucky.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 July 2019 at 11:09AM
    ChrisDB wrote: »
    Hopefully it will go smoothly for you. Have you ever tried asking to speak to someone in authority in their complaints department? I did wonder about doing that but I didn't think it would do much good.

Thank you, ChrisDB. If I get any sshh, I will post back here if I may? I have spoken to nPower's complaints team a dozen times at least, I should think and have found them mostly OK but occasionally indifferent, as you have.

Please do not take this as a criticism but one thing I have not done is walk away with no compensation. Many times they have written to me to advise they are closing a complaint; if I did not consider it resolved, I told them to open it up again pretty darned quick and they have.

You really need to show them who is the customer and my default setting is to escalate at the drop of a hat; it does tend to focus their minds. I take the same approach with my telecoms provider; it is sometimes the only way to get their attention and having such words on a file is the very depth of unprofessionalism. I think it was Houbara who mentioned the consequences for the perpetrator.

I was once spoken to as if I were something this little creep called Paul had stepped in. I was incensed. It was years ago and I can still remember his name and the amount I received. He thought he was fireproof because he was the only person in the whole of nPower who knew about solar panels. I had to wait forever to speak to a manager but, when I did, I had the whole of my last bill refunded to my account, over £100; that is how bad he was so it is worth holding your ground.

If you can be bothered, I hope you too can obtain some compensation for the shock and distress this horrible revelation must have caused you.
  • Smodlet
    AndyPK wrote: »
    This is interesting.

However it normally takes 28 days + to get it changed so you have been quite lucky.

Lucky? Given the circumstances, I doubt nP could fix it quickly enough!
  • ChrisDB wrote: »
    Thanks DawnCrush!

Sadly, even when confronted with the evidence, Npower didn't give me the impression they were taking this seriously. I'm sure they could have fixed the problem over the phone when I first reported it but they said it would be resolved in 7 to 10 working days. They took 15 days, which doesn't strike me as a company taking this issue seriously. And with no apology either, what am I left to think?

I have no idea what Npower have done to find the culprit responsible for the obscenities and I don't suppose I will ever know. Since their actions ensured I was unable to switch suppliers for 15 days until they resolved it, perhaps Npower promoted the person responsible because it kept my business for longer.
    At BG you would have received both an apology, by a telephone chat from the manager , and a small compensation of £30.
    This seems to be standard amount for customer complaints like yours. .. It is straightforward to find out exactly who was involved. In this business all data is retrievable quickly. All call centre staff are recorded in every conversation, something which they make you aware of at the start of the call
  • Smodlet
    Houbara wrote: »
    At BG you would have received both an apology, by a telephone chat from the manager , and a small compensation of £30.
    This seems to be standard amount for customer complaints like yours. .. It is straightforward to find out exactly who was involved. In this business all data is retrievable quickly. All call centre staff are recorded in every conversation, something which they make you aware of at the start of the call

One would certainly hope so at least of the big 6. As for the others, I would not like to hazard a guess. All I can say is, my experience with nPower has been pretty much as Houbara describes except the default amount used to be £25 rather than £30.
  • Hello. Could someone please offer some advice in regards to my Gas supplied by N Power.

In May I decided to switch suppliers - to save annually on my bills. Two months later, I contacted NPower as they still had not settled my final bill and I had received an email apologising for the delay.
    I contacted them and this prompted them to open a complaint.
    In a nut shell it appears that for two years they have estimated my meter readings, even though I had a SMART meter fitted two years ago with the understanding that it would provide daily meter readings for both Gas and Electric. (Electric has been working fine so they tell me)
    For the past two weeks I have been speaking with them whilst they invetsigated the problem. It appears that I have had an incorrect gas meter fitted and it has NEVER been connected to the SMART meter and therefore they have always taken estimated readings, they have never asked me to provide actual readings warning me that they are only taking estimated readings!!
    In a phone call last night they informed me that I owe them £87 for the first year and a further £50 to finalise the account. Both of which I am refusing to pay.
    My onine NPower account has also showed me in credit with my gas and I was not to know any different.
    To settle the matter I have insisted that they pay me compensation to the value of £150. I am now waiting to see if this happens, if they refuse then they will forward me to the Omsbudman.
    Has anyone any advice or been in a similar situation? As I feel baffled with my rights over this!
    Many thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport