Scammers

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've never seen any correlation between the 'about your recent accident' scam calls, and the actual number of accidents had.

In fact, when DH receives these calls, he invites the caller to tell him whatever they know about this accident.

Yesterday he had one of the Microsoft scammers on the phone. He doesn't use Microsoft, but he was happy to try clicking and keying a few things, which of course did not give the expected results. When he was invited to download software he declined (obviously), and at that point the caller started swearing at him! He asked to speak to a supervisor, who ALSO swore at him. :eek:

Here's a heartwarming story.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've only ever had a couple of scam calls that have got through TPS & BT told me how to deal with them, so they are no problem.

I never used to have these calls on my mobile either, until some idiot hit my car & my insurance company insisted on having my mobile number. Within a couple of weeks I was getting several a day. They die off after a few weeks & then start all over again, the same caller several times a day, even when I've told them to go away. I don't have a contract as it is barely usable at home, so I can't block the calls but I have found the most effective method to get rid is to answer the phone with "Who's speaking please?" in a very discouraging tone. I often hear "eh, eh" followed by hangup.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I got rid of my landline two years ago- bliss! Saved a fortune too!
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've got a BT call blocker phone. Works like a charm. Not one scammer has got through to me and there have been a whole lot of attempts - you can see the numbers that have tried on the display.

You need the right package from your landline provider (caller display) but I get this free with BT.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    NeilCr wrote: »
    I've got a BT call blocker phone. Works like a charm..

It is a real pain in the … for genuine callers trying to phone you :money:
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • billn
    billn Posts: 318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I don't get many scam calls at all but when I do get a call from a number I don't recognise I answer but do not speak straight away and they or a computer dialer usually hangs up.

I am a bit disappointed that I don't get the "your computer has gone wrong" calls anymore, the last one I did get hung up on me after about 10 minutes of telling to press this key and that key I started crying and said I can't do any of this as I hadn't got a computer, poor "David" or whatever who was only trying to help.:)
    If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you!
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 April 2019 at 11:04AM
    missile wrote: »
    It is a real pain in the … for genuine callers trying to phone you :money:

Not really.

Important contacts are on the allowed list.

Most "one offs" I give my mobile number to.

I've only had two genuine people in the couple of years ringing me not on the allowed list. They both announced themselves and I picked up. Takes a few seconds more.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    I'm over 55 and get very few, I register with TPS and tend to be very vigilant with the tick boxes. I know who I expect emails from and simply junk anything I'm not expecting.
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I have an old Panasonic phone that allows you to assign ringtones and all my contacts have a jaunty tune assigned! If the phone rings with a normal ringtone, I know it's a cold call and ignore it. If it is important, they can leave a message on the answering machine. I am currently mid-flurry - 6-8 unknown callers a day.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am just 55 and enjoy scammers trying to scam me I always get the better of them, one said my PC was infected so I asked which one as the place is full of them so they said it could be all of them and asked how many I had. 300 was the reply. he said £1500 for the lot and asked him for his card details after a lot of talk I said I now have your IP address and home address and will send the boys round to collect the money he was off the phone quicker than a failed drugs test.
    Some scammer tried to lock me out of my PC and he said £200 to free it so I emailed back I had his IP address and location and not the VPN one he was using and I was using sandboxie and the PC wasn't locked but he was going to jail when the police came round.
    I haven't done any reverse scams on scammers for years but feel like trying it again.
    Someone please tell me what money is
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport