Grain Free Quality Dog food

Options

Comments

• Kajsa_B.
    Options
    I am a new dog owner (have a precious rottie rescue!) and I'm really struggling with this as well. I've used allaboutdogfood to help me better understand the quality of the foods I am researching and seems to be a good starting point but I feel it is a bit out of date...

I find it really hard to understand the labels. Tey talk about composition and breakdown in a language I can't quite grasp. Some brands claim to have a high meat content (between 50-95%) but when I check the fine print, the "meat" content can be anything from feathers to bone. This doesn't feel right!

Has anyone found any other websites that give a good overview of the pet market here in the UK?
  • iori
    Options
    Exactly! Even that website 'allaboutdogs' and 'zooplus' I don't feel show ingredients clear enough. It feel like big brands probably pay premiums to get top publicity for not necessarily better products. Someone mentioned on here a brand id not heard of before called Moonjoon Nutrition. (Im all about non commercial, small personal service). And that it was different (clear and reasonable). It looks promising - Ive tried everything else so I ordered a bag to try. It came in a day (free delivery) and the ingredients look great. Its early day but my dog loves it. They have a few different flavours and free samples etc. Ill post an update in a couple of weeks on how shes getting on. Fingers crossed, so far so good:j
  • Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    This is what I buy https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/1797/wolf-of-wilderness-adult-dry-food

It's rated well and is a good price. You currently get a free sample of the wet food from Zooplus at the moment if you buy a 12kg bag.

Wolf of Wilderness gets my vote.. well priced and good quality.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kajsa_B. wrote: »
    I am a new dog owner (have a precious rottie rescue!) and I'm really struggling with this as well. I've used allaboutdogfood to help me better understand the quality of the foods I am researching and seems to be a good starting point but I feel it is a bit out of date...

I find it really hard to understand the labels. Tey talk about composition and breakdown in a language I can't quite grasp. Some brands claim to have a high meat content (between 50-95%) but when I check the fine print, the "meat" content can be anything from feathers to bone. This doesn't feel right!

Has anyone found any other websites that give a good overview of the pet market here in the UK?
    I'm not sure if this helps but there are a couple that give some good information about the ingredients in dog food.
    US based Dog Food Analysis - see 'How do we assess the foods')
    'Dog Food Ingredients @ wagthedoguk.com'

Basically, look for food with a reasonable meat content (it will be this first or second ingredient in the ingredients list). If its not grain free food, look for good quality and/or whole grains (oats, rice, peas) and avoid grains like corn/maize, wheat and the generic 'cereals'.

More specifically:

Meat content - it should be a named species (chicken, lamb, beef, turkey, duck etc). Avoid those that use general terms like 'meat and animal derivatives', ' animal by-products', 'meat and bone meal', as these could be from any animal and are basically just the leftover bits of an animal after slaughter, so while it will contain some protein, it can include stuff like the feathers and bone you mention.

Meat meal or whole/fresh meat - Whole meat has a high water content (70% approx) whereas meat meal is just meat that's been treated to remove excess moisture, so its basically a more concentrated version. Both are fine, and many dry foods will contain both (so a dog food claiming a high meat content of say 70% will probably be made up of 40% fresh/whole meat, 25% meal and the other 5% gravy/fat).
  • preaney
    Options
    Try Swedish firm Husse available online and free delivery. No grain
  • thedogsmum
    Options
    I use Purizon single meat for my two. One a GSD and the other a Kelpie. Suits both of them. Only sold by Zooplus and Bitiba (German). I’ve just order 2 bags from Bitiba - £83.99 (salmon). They do have offers on, so worth checking regularly.
  • Brookelloyd
    Options
    Hi Iori, totally feel you on this! We went through the exact same process about a year ago when we got our dog Dorris. My husband and I researched everything we could that was available and even requested free samples off many. Like you say many have quite low meat content and the fancy brands like Lillys Kitchen and Tails to name a few actual fit into this bracket unfortunately. I think they don’t openly state the meat content as many people see the ‘grain free’ and assume they’re perfect. You’re not the only person going through this dilemma - we were lucky to meet a lovely lady while out walking Dorris who passed on info on a brand that seemed to fit the bill for us. They’re called Moonjoon. Dorris has been on their food for nearly 11 months now and she’s doing amazing! We order the food from their website ‘moonjoon nutrition’ and its delivered next day for free. Hope this helps you :money::T

Thanks for this - great find!! I ordered a bag yesterday and it arrived this morning. I’ve also requested free samples of other flavours for free. I’ve read a lot of articles lately about dog food and quizzed many vets and nutritionists. One article said that 95% of dog foods owned by big commercial brands as well as supermarket brands don’t reveal their exact ingredients and actually have hooves, feathers, beaks, connective tissues and wool (...I know! Wool!?) in recipes under “meat and animal derivatives”. This is shocking! Hopefully some new regulations will come into force in future to sort this out. It’s great to find a small personal brand like this who clearly show everything and have recyclable packaging as well. I compared the prices with the other brands people have been recommending such as Arden Grange and Millie’s Woolfhound etc (these also look great in terms of ingredients - quite similar) but the Moonjoon Nutrition comes out cheaper than them all and it seems like they can’t do enough for you. You’ve got to love this forum! Last week I got a top tip regarding broadband and yesterday I’ve found this top dog food! Thank you savvy people :beer:
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My dog has been on some really expensive brands and hasn't seemed to enjoy them at all.

At long last we have found food that he really loves and chases the bowl around the kitchen! It is Butchers grain free wet food which we combine with some Lukullus cold pressed food. It works out far cheaper than we have paid for other brands and it is wonderful to see him enjoying his food so much.

I did check out the Butchers grain free on the All About Dog Food site and it gets 4.3 out of 5, so a very good rating.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport