PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Signature is now up to date. I have about £50 per week and I have quite a lot in. Enjoying the change in season - I have made my first cauliflower and brocilli cheese in ages :j.

LO chicken to become noodle soup/ barley broth for a quick tea tonight. I'll make spotted !!!!!! and custard for pudding. I also need to make something cakey for tomorrows packed lunches.

Hope everyone enjoys their blowey day and stays safe. x
  • FoxFace
    FoxFace Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Very early morning spend of £8.25 after finding out Mr T's 50p products this week are strawberries, mangoes & plums... three of our favourites :D

So I have stocked up on those and grabbed some eggs whilst there, for more baking :heartsmil
    Debt Free Journey started 21.05.2017
  • FoxFace wrote: »
    Very early morning spend of £8.25 after finding out Mr T's 50p products this week are strawberries, mangoes & plums... three of our favourites :D

morning foxface, was that a big mr t? i've just checked online and can't see any 50p offers - i didn't know mr t did them.

thanks in advance

poppy x
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • FoxFace
    FoxFace Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Photogenic
    poppy-glos wrote: »
    morning foxface, was that a big mr t? i've just checked online and can't see any 50p offers - i didn't know mr t did them.

thanks in advance

poppy x

T3sco, yes :) I had an email voucher for £10 off a £50 spend, and went to have a nosy for stocking up purposes, it was on the front page... I wonder if it's a regional thing then?
    Debt Free Journey started 21.05.2017
  • What I need to stop doing is putting off doing a proper online shop, because then I run out of milk and have to go and get some, and tend to pick up other bits while I am there. Still, although over half my budget has gone I am feeling good about ending the month on budget, as I stocked up the freezer at F@rm Foods and now have the basis for at least a fortnights dinners in there. The other trap I must resist is feeling pleased with how the budget is going, and then if we go out for breakfast or coffee as a treat buying it out of the food budget. Over £30 has gone that way so far this month! Still I am learning lots which has to be a good thing. Task for today and tomorrow is to make out a new menu plan inspired by my freezer contents, and then do a small online shop for milk, sandwich filling etc etc.

I hope everyone else is having a good month so far!

PS Best buy in F@rm Foods....2.5kg bags beef mince with onions that you can cook from frozen, 2 bags for £5. Used some last night to make cottage pie and was really pleased with it.
    September Grocery Challenge £236.28/£260
  • So far I have done quite well. I am impressed but have a LONG way to go still.

Went to Mr T and bought a huge bag of cat litter for £8, reduced from £9 at least that is sorted for the rest of the month. I have decided that cutting down on the cat food and supplies is the next step in managing the weekly shop.

My local Tesco always has so much reduced but the staff are so rude! this normally puts me off going in there. I wrote a letter and a follow up letter however no reply was ever recieved!
    Return and Restart August 2016
    22 Months to be debt free Aug2016 £12971.00:p:o:p By Jun2018
    PAYDBX2016 #155 = £2268.93/£3414.93 00% paid
    UK Debt #00 = £9857.23/£13039 6% paid
    EmSavFund #204 = £85.00/£1000 6% paid
    Mortgage #00 = £183084/£183093 00% paid
  • annem38
    annem38 Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hi all, not been on for a while but can i change my target for sept to £250 and not £200, was meant to be going away for a week but didn't happen, bummer but at least i didn't have to get on a plane!

anyhoo for the first 2 weeks of the month i have managed to get thru £138.48:eek:, but at least my one big monthly shop is out of the way and i have enough cat food to see them thru to oct, am now going to see if i can get back on track by only spending 12 quid this week, well a girl can dream can't she??

right, got a chicken carcass to turn into stock, not sure what to make with it at the moment so will prob freeze it

thanks for listening

anne
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Had no electricity for about eight hours yesterday - my upright freezer with drawers is pretty full and I didn't dare open it. The chest freezer (in garage) is about 3/4 full. I use this mainly for storing of vegetables / loafs of bread etc.

The inside freezer has all sorts including sausages, chicken pieces, breaded chicken pieces and the like.

I am led to believe that as long as you don't open the freezer (which I didn't) and because the freezer was quite full that the contents will be safe for about 12 hours. The power was off off for about 8.

Am i correct in my thinking - will the stuff (in my freezer) be ok ??
    The cat can have the ham that was in my fridge :D and I think mainly fruit/cheese yogurts are the only other items that might be spoiled but will obvious if they are ?

Obviously as and when I go to use something (for example chicken pieces), when defrosted, the sniff test should determine whether its safe to use ???

Im sorry for posting this on this thread but I wasn't sure where else to put it and I will add I am very glad I didn't buy too much when I visited the shop yesterday !!! (only a carton of soup!)
  • Flat Eric personally i would think if they have not defrosted, then they should be fine, but i always smell meat products out of habit, so the sniff test should suffice - hope its all ok
  • Flat Eric I would say the contents will be fine as you didn't open it. If you do the sniff test I don't think you can go wrong. The cheese and fruit will be fine. I would check a yogurt. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure