Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Feb 11 at 9:52 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the third Grocery Challenge of 2011, it's almost spring so hopefully this will be a new beginning for all of us.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your February budget, then keep on posting in the February 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-02-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Page 42
    • Kitchenbunny
    • By Kitchenbunny 13th Mar 11, 3:37 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 20,252 Thanks
    Kitchenbunny
    An NSD for me today! The coconut tarts I made yesterday have all gone (yep, they were that good) so I am probably going to make another batch of those this evening while the lamb breast cooks. We will need some fruit and veg tomorrow, as well as some cleaning stuff from Wilkos. Just thought I'd share the stuffing recipe I've used to stuff the lamb breast as it smells gorgeous. Will let you know how it tastes!

4 slices bread, blitzed in a processor
    zest of 1 lemon, with the juice of half of it
    Glug of milk
    1 dessertspoon dried mixed herbs

Mix everything together and spread out on the meaty side of a lamb breast. Roll it up and secure (I've used cocktail sticks). I'll let you know how I get on with it. It's on a little metal trivet to go in the oven so it doesn't sit in the fat as it roasts.

Have a good evening, everyone.

KB xx
    Last edited by Kitchenbunny; 14-03-2011 at 7:31 AM. Reason: Amendments to recipe

• catslovelycats
    • By catslovelycats 13th Mar 11, 4:29 PM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 11,207 Thanks
    catslovelycats
    Hi pinkwinged
    Can I please have a go at reducing my total to 200 a month with effect from March?
    Cheers
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 13th Mar 11, 4:33 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    Hugs, and spoons to all who need or want them.

Have finally caught up the thread it seems to move so quick!

A simple quick recipe for using up dairylea triangles

Boil up some pasta of choice and drain off the liquid, while hot stir in the triangles and a splash of milk and some chopped up ham, season with black pepper and hey presto quick and easy carbonara.

Reporting a spend on dog food on Friday of 9.99 but that should cover the rest of this month and possible all of next. Which does mean i am on super tight reins to stay in budget for the end of this month. Freezer meals and home baking it is.

Must try out the mr t mr a price war i need some shampoo and i do love tresemme so will have to make an extra to budget buy for this i think.
    Originally posted by destroyerofdebt2011
    thanks i don't know why i didn't think of that
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
  • M0neysav3r
    Just reporting that this weekend has been one big NSW!!
    I challenged dh to it as he was off yesterday and today and suprisingly we've both stuck to it, we went out yesterday to a lovely park and had our first picnic of the year which delighted ds fresh hm bread chunks and butter out in the sunshine was heaven!! I've been buzzing around ebaying and cooking at home today whilst my boys and dog have been to the woods.

I need a few bits tomorrow so will have spent then but very pleased to report my successful weekend
    No Debts (Other than HUGE mortgage! )
    Generally trying to cut back where possible
    GC - March 143.82 / 200 Feb 156.03 / 150 Oops! Jan 180.78/200
    • esmer
    • By esmer 13th Mar 11, 5:12 PM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 9,044 Thanks
    esmer
    i am confused about the mr t mr a thing!!! not sure i can get my head around it
    Originally posted by minnie2
    Its Mr Asda, Mr Morrison, Mr Tesco.
    Saving 2.00 coins
    Grocerys set to 40.00 pw
    Being Thrifty
  • Long tall sally
    I spent 5.50 at the market yesterday on F & V , 10.39 at Farm Foods on bread, milk, chocolate spread & chocolate bars, a whopping 41.66 at the Co Op (well that was on Thursday before I got my new car) & 42.69 at Mr T but did get a voucher for 22.76 back on that. I have deducted this 22.76 from my spends so I must remember to not take it off again when I actually use it. This Mr T thingy is tempting but really I think I only need milk, bread, potatoes & other f & v & yogurts for the rest of the month & it would also be nice to come in on budget for once!
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 13th Mar 11, 5:32 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    No NSD for me today. Succumbed to the coffee from Mr T's. I will await my voucher back from them. Although now I want to pop out and get the wine (which I do not need!!) Only other spend was on the Sunday papers which I do include in my GC.

Hopefully a few more NSD's to come this week though, as I've just spent 47 filling my wee car up with petrol

ETA: If you're like me and can't remember how many times you have Tesco price checked, is there a way of finding out?
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - 46.73 / 100.00
    • never too old
    • By never too old 13th Mar 11, 5:45 PM
    • 2,954 Posts
    • 31,255 Thanks
    never too old
    i got my voucher aswell, i'm not sure if i shud spend it tho, i thought i'd done 3 receits already but acually the firts one i did was my email, and the last 2 was oh's because our online shops threw there, so i could sqeeze another 1 in lol, i'll see what offers are on on wed when i go with my mum as i'm determined to not just buy stuff for the sake of it
    Originally posted by quintwins
    I have spaved, shouldnt have to buy teabags for ages lol

my shopping today was over 17 more expensive in Mr T Than Mr A, so should get 34 back. will keep this for a week or so as that should pay for w/c 21 st shopping.
    Last edited by never too old; 13-03-2011 at 5:59 PM.
    2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

1993.52 / 2019
    0%/100%
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 13th Mar 11, 6:15 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    I have spaved, shouldnt have to buy teabags for ages lol

my shopping today was over 17 more expensive in Mr T Than Mr A, so should get 34 back. will keep this for a week or so as that should pay for w/c 21 st shopping.
    Originally posted by l.m.hart
    you did well i did see the tea bags
    but we don't use many tea bags it made more sense to stock up on pepsi lol, oh is trying to talk me into a chinese since we've saved so much money
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • wuvvies
    • By wuvvies 13th Mar 11, 6:32 PM
    • 324 Posts
    • 3,685 Thanks
    wuvvies
    hi everyone.have rea lised im spending quite a bit on lunchboxes so today have put in two homemade biscuits and opened a tin of mandarins which split into three tubs so will do three days. he has his sandwiches and a babybel. normally i would put in some fruit a sandwich a sweet bar like alpen or something a babybel and a youghurt like froobs that you suck. these are what is costing me a lot.
    any ideas for cheap lunchbox items for a 6 year old.
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 13th Mar 11, 6:32 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    Its Mr Asda, Mr Morrison, Mr Tesco.
    Originally posted by esmer
    oh no i ment the price checkers and price guarantees etc
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • Long tall sally
    oh no i ment the price checkers and price guarantees etc
    Originally posted by minnie2

Minnie - what is it that you don't understand- I will try & help you if I can. Have you read the "Teco Best Offer Ever" thread (or something like that!) on the Grocery forum?
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
  • rosieben
    I've just added a recipe for Chinese Chicken to the index, ChocClare posted it on the Tough thread
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • katholicos
    Evening all!

Had a frugal day food wise today, made a lentil and vegetable soup using a turkey carcass to make the stock, it worked out really well. Lastnight, however, i crumbled when i saw Ben & Jerry's icecream, 2 500g pots for 5 at the co-op. I did also buy 10p loaves of bread and battons though, so that kind of balanced things out, don't you think? Nah, me neither!

Will update siggy after posting this.
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • rosieben
    destroyerofdebt, your Carbonararecipe and Kitchenbunny, your Stuffing recipe are now in the index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 13th Mar 11, 7:05 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    cutiepie, I had missed your Cider and Mustard Honey Pork recipe, sorry; I've added it to the index now
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Hey no probs!! it was more a 'chuck it all in' than an actual recipe. lol. tasted yummy though!! really enjoying this grocery challenge. i feel so much more organised!
    DFBX2016 #160 - 3550/8800

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) 0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) 0/795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
  • Winged one
    NSD for me today! Yay! We went out twice - to a local park for a walk/cycle (but had coffee at home before we left) and to get DD a book with her "World Book Day" token (we managed to find a nice one of the free ones).

Spent €90 on groceries this weekend. I spent €73 in our Mr. S and DH got a few things in Li*l (am allowing €17 for 2 bottls wine, bacon pieces, grated mozarella and a pizza). We are using up things from the freezer pretty much this week - stewing beef made a chilli for tonight, sausages will be used on Tuesday, cooked ham mixed with pasta tomorrow night, that sorta thing. We got a whoopsied pork joint for last night and had sambos with leftovcers today, which were tasty. I also got 2 packs of smoked salmon which were reduced to €2 each (I usually freeze them to have for scrambled eggs for groups).
    GC 2010 6,000/ 5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: 6,000/
    5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr 587.82/550 May 453.31 /550
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 13th Mar 11, 7:18 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    I made the cookies but my jury is out on this one. I managed to over cook the cookies on the top shelf and the ones on the other shelf were undercooked. The undercooked ones were much nicer than the overcooked ones.

I'm going to try therecipee again in a couple of weeks but use smooth peanut butter next time. How do you gauge when they are correctly cooked?
    Originally posted by Aldahbra
    I usually cook mine on the middle shelf in my combi micro on the oven setting and usually go for 13 minutes, which means they are cooked but are still moist.

It was a NSD today for me. Having added up what DH spent yesterday on food we are now hitting 135 this week. I was trying to keep it under 100 a week. Still, I have stuff I can carry over to next week.

I have nearly finished my 5 week menu plan, only have to find another 7 meals. I have been trying to balance the meals for each week so I can make sure things like veg get used up. As I have been making my lists I have been writing out the recipes as well to put in a folder. Next job is to work out the shopping lists.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 13th Mar 11, 7:31 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    Could you post the normal (no SC) recipe? I do not have a SC but might try it on the hob since it is so yummy!
    Originally posted by martafdz
    OK, this is the ACTUAL recipe.

Creamy Honey, Mustard & Cider Pork

- 4 pork chops/1 pork fillet cut into medallions
    - 1/2 large onion/3 shallots
    2 tsp w.g. mustard
    2 tsp honey
    3 tbsp creme fraiche
    100ml dry cider

SC version
    - increase the amount of liquid ingredients (2 tbsp of mustard and honey, tub of creme fraiche, can of cider)
    - chuck all the ingredients in the SC (bar the creme fraiche) leave it on low all day, and then add the creme fraiche half hour before serving.

Hob version
    - Mix creme fraiche, mustard and honey in a bowl and set aside.
    - Put a little butter in frying pan on high heat. Slice onion and fry until softened. Add a little more butter then add pork.
    - Fry pork for one minute on each side, then pour cider over them and leave to bubble for a few minutes until reduced slightly.
    - Take pan off the heat, and add creme fraiche mix. Stir in well, reduce heat and put pan back on heat.
    - Let it simmer for a few minutes, have a taste and add s&p if needed.

Serve with rice/potatoes/veg/noodles/etc.
    DFBX2016 #160 - 3550/8800

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) 0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) 0/795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
    • pepsi-kins
    • By pepsi-kins 13th Mar 11, 7:33 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    pepsi-kins
    Hi,
    I've made chorizo, haddock and new potatoe one pot for tea. I can't see it already in the recipe index, apologies if its there, but thought I would share.

Ingredients
    1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (i just used ordinary olive oil)
    50g chorizo
    450g salad or new potatoes
    4 tbsp sherry or white wine (i used white wine)
    2 thick pices white fish (i used some whoopsied haddock)
    handful of cherry tomatoes (I didn't have these)
    Parsley

Heat the pan, and then add the oil, then the chorizo cook for two minutes. Add the potatoes all sliced up, and 3 tbsp sherry put a lid on the pan and cook for 10-15mins until tender (mine took more like 20 mins)
    Season the fish. Add the tomatoes to the pan and most of the parsley, lay the fish on top and add 1 tbsp of sherry. put lid back on and cook for 5 minutes (I cooked mine for longer, as a bit scared of poisoning us - about 12 mins)
    Add more parsley, and drizzle with more oil if liked..

I had fine green beans, carrot and sweetcorn, but really didn't need all of that. The recipe said to serve with crusty bread.
    It was really nice, we don't eat much fish, as I never know what to do with it, but have been experimenting with a few recipes lately, and this one will definitely be one to have again. Also it only uses one pot, so not much washing up. yay!
    2018 G/C 2951.61/2250
    Vouchers used 553.23
    Extra money 250
    2019 G/C 2248.60
    Vouchers: 207.33
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,923Posts Today

5,562Users online

Martin's Twitter