TV Licence article Discussion

Comments

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    2. Block URLs on the Router.

3. Block URLs on the ISP's access controls (might be called child protection or similar).
    This evening I've had a dig into the 'guts' of my new router.
    It has one place to enter keywords or domain names you want to block.
    I told it to block anything with iplayer - but the app on my TV (which I can't delete) still works.
    I then told it to block a.files.bbci.co.uk - but the app on my TV still works.
    I then added bbci to the list - and the app still works

Any idea as to what I should be adding to the list?
    Cheryl
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    cw18 wrote: »
    This evening I've had a dig into the 'guts' of my new router.
    It has one place to enter keywords or domain names you want to block.
    I told it to block anything with iplayer - but the app on my TV (which I can't delete) still works.
    I then told it to block a.files.bbci.co.uk - but the app on my TV still works.
    I then added bbci to the list - and the app still works

Any idea as to what I should be adding to the list?

When I was researching URLs for blocking, I found the iPlayer app to be extremely resilient, and it makes sense for it to be built that way.

Since you now get either the ID challenge or the Licence challenge, I gave up trying to find URLs, although I found that if wildcards were available then *bbc* knocked out pretty much everything.

The full list I got to in 2016 was this:-

ibl.api.bbci.co.uk
    mybbc.files.bbci.co.uk
    emp.bbci.co.uk
    component.iplayer.api.bbc.co.uk
    bbc.co.uk/iplayer
  • cw18
    edited 21 July 2019 at 11:54PM
    What worries me is the chance of visitors accessing it - my son and I (two different properties) are the only people in my friend and family circle without a licence, and a lot of them get confused when I try to explain what can & can't be watched without one.....

I shall try adding the rest and see how it looks then.

Edit: iPlayer still quite happily operates - as does the bbc news website on my laptop even when I put the address for that into my blocked list. Looks as if I need to contact NowTV to find out why my 'block' list doesn't seem to work :shocked:
    Cheryl
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 22 July 2019 at 7:46AM
    Whilst its good practice to block iPlayer if you can, for those not technically minded, its not a requirement to block it to be licence free - just don't use iPlayer.
  • cw18
    wymondham wrote: »
    Whilst its good practice to block iPlayer if you can, for those not technically minded, its not a requirement to block it to be licence free - just don't use iPlayer.
    I'm aware it's not a requirement to block iPlayer, but when you have visitors who aren't as licence savvy as you are it's most definitely a wise move. A puzzled 'this doesn't seem to be working' is definitely preferable to one of us ending up with a large fine. Even if I could delete the App from my TV, having it available through my router means they could fire it up on a plugged in laptop / tablet / phone......
    Cheryl
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 July 2019 at 8:28AM
    I think you're right to be cautious, but there are a number of different scenarios, each of which has different licensing requirements, and will be treated differently by TVL (at least according to their official policy documents).

- A visitor using their own phone or tablet on its own batteries will be covered by their own home Licence.

- A visitor using your TV without you being present is responsible (legally) for their own licence compliance. However, TVL policy is not to prosecute visitors (the "babysitter" rule).

- If you are present, presumably you would tell your guests that they must not use the TV to access iPlayer, etc.

The nature of it is that it's just too complicated to find and block the entire list of URLs to prevent access to iPlayer and the various sources of live streaming that someone might conceivably have access to. And, for example, if you don't have access to Sky Go, how can you be expected to find and block its URLs to prevent visitors accessing it? Also, what about live streams embedded within other, much bigger services (like Sky News on Youtube)?

I think it pays to be reasonably diligent and reasonably cautious where TVL are concerned, but I also think that to do this blocking properly is in the too hard category, and TVL ultimately have to respect that.
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry if been covered before...

When on sky TV I can look at Iplayer/Hub, etc with no sign in/email/passwords.

When using the smart function of the TV it requires me to sign in.
    Obviously I don' t want to use my real email address (so they can trace me ?). Is it a once only sign in (? so I can use any old email address), or is it an 'each time' sign in (so I need to remember/write down)

thanks
  • cw18
    castle96 wrote: »
    Sorry if been covered before...

When on sky TV I can look at Iplayer/Hub, etc with no sign in/email/passwords.

Obviously I don' t want to use my real email address (so they can trace me ?). Is it a once only sign in (? so I can use any old email address), or is it an 'each time' sign in (so I need to remember/write down)

thanks
    Do you have a licence? If so, why would it matter?

If not, then I'm afraid you'll have to try it and see - this group is NOT here to encourage or support licence evasion.
    Cheryl
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    castle96 wrote: »
    Obviously I don' t want to use my real email address (so they can trace me ?).

Why don't you want to use your real email address?

If you are trying to watch iPlayer without having a TV License, this is not the Forum for you. The site is for ways of legally saving money, not criminals.
    1005922 Posts: 176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You can use any email address you like but if you don't have a TV licence then you'd be breaking the law by watching anything on iplayer
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback