Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melita
    • By melita 10th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    • 47Posts
    • 23Thanks
    melita
    Severn Trent Amey duped me into a meter upgrade
    • 10th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    Severn Trent Amey duped me into a meter upgrade 10th Jan 18 at 3:07 PM
    We have been resisting the march of the smart meter. We had a water meter installed some years ago (in the house) with a remote external reading point. ST have been trying to get us to upgrade our meter to a smart meter but without success. I was about to go out earlier today when there was a knock at the door from an Amey engineer to replace the battery in our meter - it would only take 10 minutes. As he was finishing the work I noticed our old meter in his toolbox and that a new one had been installed (Aquadis+ with Everblu Cyble enhanced). I challenged him and said that this was not a battery change but a smart meter and that I didn't want wifi in the house. He told me that it was a mechanical meter, not smart and no wifi. I foolishly believed him. Subsequent online investigations seem to imply that it is indeed a smart meter and potentially sends daily readings wirelessly (isn't this wifi?). Can we get this meter removed now or are we stuck with it?

Page 2
    • Extra_vert
    • By Extra_vert 3rd Dec 18, 6:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Extra_vert
    Since Severn Trent are not fitting smart meters yet, even for those who want them and are not scared of 'wifi' I think you need to have another look at the specs of the meter.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 3rd Dec 18, 10:33 PM
    • 27,919 Posts
    • 13,785 Thanks
    Cardew
    Since Severn Trent are not fitting smart meters yet, even for those who want them and are not scared of 'wifi' I think you need to have another look at the specs of the meter.
    Originally posted by Extra_vert

Welcome to the forum.

I am with Severn Trent and have had a 'Smart Meter' for four years - Meters changed Dec 2014.

By 'Smart Meter' it is, as described earlier, only smart in the sense that it is interrogated every six months or so by the meter reader.
    Last edited by Cardew; 03-12-2018 at 10:39 PM.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 4th Dec 18, 8:22 AM
    • 8,488 Posts
    • 7,338 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Originally posted by Extra_vert
    I think you need to check the date of the posts you respond to.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,639Posts Today

5,878Users online

Martin's Twitter