Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rmc86uk
    • By rmc86uk 16th Jun 19, 8:46 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rmc86uk
    Jet 2 holiday problem
    • 16th Jun 19, 8:46 AM
    Jet 2 holiday problem 16th Jun 19 at 8:46 AM
    Hello everyone

We bought a package holiday with Jet 2 on 1/1/19.

The cost of this holiday was 1214

This was to go away on 5/7/19 for one week.

We bought this holiday online via Jet2 website.

This holiday was paid for via debit card

Jet 2 have emailed us on 14/6/19 just three weeks before we are due to go that the hotel pool area is out of bounds due to building refurbishment and that there is building work on the site next to the hotel.

They have said the hotel will let us have free sunbeds on the beach (we are not a beach couple). The other alternative is to move hotels but we have to pay the difference of which the next available hotel with pool is 500 extra for us.

After phoning them to sort they said they'd found us a hotel at same original price but this hotel does not have a pool either.

I have asked for Jet2 to pay the extra as I don't feel we should or get a full refund. They have said that because we go away in 20 days we will lose 90% of the total holiday cost. I feel it is not our issue as they only told us 20 days before we fly out.

I asked to speak to a manager of which they said they will have to get one call me back in 48 to 72 hours which puts us closer to the flying out date.

I am going to call ABTA and Citizens advice when they open tomorrow to see what we are entitled to.

I have since checked their website and they are still selling holidays to this hotel with no information about the pool being shut and building works (false advertising? Misleading?)

Does anyone on here know what we are entitled to and what agencies should I be reporting this to. I want to fire clear facts at them when hopefully they call me back tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

Russell
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 16th Jun 19, 9:16 AM
    • 4,219 Posts
    • 5,615 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 16th Jun 19, 9:16 AM
    • 16th Jun 19, 9:16 AM
    Wait and see what they say, they may offer something more when they call back.

At this late stage, it comes down to how vital pool use is to your holiday. I’m sensing it’s really important so the obvious question is: Did you make absolutely clear that use of the pool was a requirement of the holiday when you booked? If you did, you have a stronger argument.

I suspect there’s something in their terms and conditions of booking that permits them to vary the availability of facilities. Also, things can happen that put a facility out of use at any time. For example, there might be a problem with the pool’s filtration system it a similar issue that put the pool out of use whilst you were there. What would the company be obliged to offer then?

This is planned works though, so you have grounds to push harder for a satisfactory solution but I’m not sure that you are entitled to use of a pool. Good luck.
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 16th Jun 19, 9:54 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    mobileron
    • 16th Jun 19, 9:54 AM
    • 16th Jun 19, 9:54 AM
    Tip, always try to use a credit card not a debit. You can then ask for charge back,not all debit cards do this.
    Check with your bank.
    • Mrsn
    • By Mrsn 16th Jun 19, 12:54 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    Mrsn
    • 16th Jun 19, 12:54 PM
    • 16th Jun 19, 12:54 PM
    Aylesbury suck the holiday was booked online so wouldn’t have been able to express a specific need for the pool. I would have liked to have thought that with less than 3 weeks to go it’s been an unexpected repair etc that’s come up hence the short notice. I know that’s not very helpful but I would wait to see what they come back with
    • rmc86uk
    • By rmc86uk 16th Jun 19, 3:54 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rmc86uk
    • 16th Jun 19, 3:54 PM
    • 16th Jun 19, 3:54 PM
    Like I said we are not a beach kind of couple. It's not really given us much of a choice. Either use the beach or sit in our rooms. I'm sure some people wouldn't see this as an issue as maybe they like going to the beach. If were not out and about exploring we are lounging by the pool using the pool bar. If for example the pool broke down while we were there then fair enough that is out of their hands. What annoys me is they're still advertising the hotel and doesn't contain any information regarding pool being shut.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 16th Jun 19, 4:01 PM
    • 20,288 Posts
    • 47,038 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 16th Jun 19, 4:01 PM
    • 16th Jun 19, 4:01 PM
    How about asking them if they could arrange day passes to use the pool facilities for the duration of your stay at a nearby hotel? Or even better ask the hotel direct.

Not knowing where you're going or the rating of the hotel you've booked it's hard to say if this is even possible, but if it's a tourist area with lots of large 4/5 star hotels this should be a possibility.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • greenface
    • By greenface 16th Jun 19, 4:49 PM
    • 4,760 Posts
    • 2,381 Thanks
    greenface
    • 16th Jun 19, 4:49 PM
    • 16th Jun 19, 4:49 PM
    Very similar problem at the start of February . The thing that attracted us to the hotel we wanted was the pool . also its not just the pool its the amount of disturbance while repairs are going on at that hotel . I'm in construction and didn't want to hear drilling ect while I'm away at the hotel I am staying . I had a short list when I booked a few months earlier to hand all similar prices and JET2 wanted around 200/250 each
    to be relocated . They would have been equal price to the one we chose at the time . I spoke to a friend in consumer law ( told JET2 it was my solicitor ) ended up getting a similar hotel for same price a few miles away . BTW what area is it . Mine was Los christianos Tenerife , P.S if the brocure has the pool as a selling point .Its the reason why you have chosen that hotel . Good luck and keep us updated
    hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world
    • rmc86uk
    • By rmc86uk 16th Jun 19, 5:26 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rmc86uk
    • 16th Jun 19, 5:26 PM
    • 16th Jun 19, 5:26 PM
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. We are going to Budva in Montenegro. I think it is quite a new resort. The hotel has only been open a year. I would be happy moving to another hotel but don't see why we should pay the difference of 500 when it is Jet2 who is at fault. This is the third year in a row we have booked a package holiday with them and have had nothing but praise for them but if it doesn't go my way and we end up travelling we are just not going to enjoy the holiday we paid for in good faith.
    • Cefca
    • By Cefca 16th Jun 19, 11:48 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    Cefca
    • 16th Jun 19, 11:48 PM
    • 16th Jun 19, 11:48 PM
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. We are going to Budva in Montenegro. I think it is quite a new resort. The hotel has only been open a year. I would be happy moving to another hotel but don't see why we should pay the difference of 500 when it is Jet2 who is at fault. This is the third year in a row we have booked a package holiday with them and have had nothing but praise for them but if it doesn't go my way and we end up travelling we are just not going to enjoy the holiday we paid for in good faith.
    Originally posted by rmc86uk

It's the hotel at fault, if anyone, not Jet2.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 17th Jun 19, 7:37 AM
    • 7,553 Posts
    • 7,387 Thanks
    DoaM
    Irrelevant ... the OP has no (direct) contract with the hotel.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 17th Jun 19, 10:01 AM
    • 570 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    wesleyad
    I'd be annoyed too, we are the same, we really dislike beaches but have to have a pool.

It comes down to whether they have broken their contract which isn't an easy thing to work out. Personal preferences play a massive part. Is the contract broken if only 5 of the 6 advertised bars are open? Probably not. However I would say not having pool access breaks the contract. Others may disagree.

I really think Jet2 should be offering a refund if they cannot move you to a similar hotel for free.
    • Potbellypig
    • By Potbellypig 17th Jun 19, 12:31 PM
    • 498 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Potbellypig
    I really think Jet2 should be offering a refund if they cannot move you to a similar hotel for free.
    Originally posted by wesleyad
    I'm amazed that they're not, to be honest.
    • photome
    • By photome 18th Jun 19, 6:10 AM
    • 14,107 Posts
    • 9,623 Thanks
    photome
    It's the hotel at fault, if anyone, not Jet2.
    Originally posted by Cefca

Maybe, but its Jet2 that need to sort it out
    • Mrs_Kralc
    • By Mrs_Kralc 18th Jun 19, 2:27 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mrs_Kralc
    ABTA is pretty clear about the process when there is a significant change to a holiday. The fact Jet2 have contacted you about the building work would constitute a significant change.

As a newbie I can’t post the link but the guidance doc for the code states:

"If Members make a significant change to a booking or cancel a booking they must, without undue delay offer clients a choice of an alternative comparable holiday (if available) or their money back. This must be a genuine choice. Members shouldn't offer an alternative holiday first and then, only if the client complains, agree to a refund."

It also outlines what the alternative holiday should be:

“In terms of the alternative that Members need to offer, the following guidelines may be helpful. Members need to offer an alternative of equivalent quality, i.e. closely similar standard and price if they are able to. This should be at no extra cost to the client. If they can't, then they should offer an alternative of higher quality if they are able to. Again, they shouldn't ask the client to pay more for this. However Members aren’t obliged to offer a holiday that's so far superior as not to be a genuine substitute. If they can’t then they can offer a replacement of a lower quality. Members need to refund the client the difference in cost if the client takes this alternative.”

As to whether you should be paying extra for the alternative holiday comes down to whether the alternative hotel would be deemed so far superior, I suspect not.

I would ask Jet2 to quote which part of the ABTA code they are following when refusing a full refund and asking you to pay significantly more to move to an alternative hotel.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,030Posts Today

8,625Users online

Martin's Twitter