PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• esmer
    esmer Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    Options
    26.05 in Mr T's Didnt need much this week. Will update my signature. :)
    Saving 2.00 coins
    Grocerys set to 40.00 pw
    Being Thrifty
  • burge23
    burge23 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    HI, I've been lurking around viewing this post and I think it's time to join! Can I be put down for £300 for March? It's a rough estimate but I'm saving receipts so next month will be accurate. That's for 3 adults (including mother in law!), one child, one dog, the demented rabbit and a shoal of goldfish! Have to make more savings as the dog's insurance is up and we're due to start paying for his meds. Have found them online at half the price of the vet, who wanted £65 a month :eek:, but it's still a lot. Also MiL usually looks after tiny terror after school but due to health we're having to find extra for childcare. :(
  • roger_ramjet
    Options
    Im down to my last 6 potatoes! And they are looking a little tired - so they're getting mashed tonight - reckon half will be frozen and the rest eaten with my left-over oxtail stew. Over the 3rd way mark now.
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    1st April 2015
    Outstanding Mortgage (1&2): £75023/£76400 Target MF date: Jun 2019 (49 payments)
    Target OP (2015): £1500
    Outstanding Mortgage 3: £77000
    [STRIKE] Outstanding Loan: £1161 [/STRIKE] What Loan!
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    Angel - so glad to hear the news - lots of "good result for Op" being sent

Now we need to concentrate on Spiggle too

Helen x

PS a NSD planned here but as we haven't managed 1 yet I don't hold my breath for a result today lol
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Just spent £27.21 in lidls. They still have fruit trees in so I have bought 2! I already have 4 fruit trees, 2 nut trees and countless fruit bushes but I was looking recently at my camellia which is a thing of beauty but doesn't produce anything edible! I'm afraid it will have to be uprooted in favour of something more productive!
    I also bought 2 boxes of their washing powder offer sp shouldn't have to buy anymore this year. I bought 3 packs of pork medallions too!
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • fingersxed
    fingersxed Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    hi every body

I had a tesco delivery this week. Got a email offering £10 off os jumped at it. I was very sensible and managed to only spend £59.42. only forgot carrots and milkbut got those now. I am amazed because i normally run to lidl, then b&m then finally tesco tryin catch bargains. This was so much easier. Think i might start lookin for the discount codes again. Updated my sig. Seem to be keeping on track. Got plenty of meat in freezer again now so with some careful planning should keep to budget for the fist time this year!!! Have a jusy jinxed myself saying that??
  • jovi20
    jovi20 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    Popped into Mr T's about 8.30pm last night and was overjoyed to get there just as the man was re- reducing whoopsies. There was already about four people waiting so they got what they wanted, but I did manage to get two large chicken breasts marked down from £4.50 to 45p, some diced turkey £3.50 down to 35p and a joint of pork £7.75 down to 77p, so basically all for 10% of their original price.

Cooked them all when I got home, Chicken & turkey both fine and dated use by end 11th, but the pork even though dated use by end of 12th just smelt and tasted really funny so binned that. Glad I didn't pay more for it!.

spent £24 in total this week which I have added to sig, but forgot to get milk so will be adding to it again later no doubt.
    :T 2015 TARGETS :T
    Weight loss 12.5/112lb 18th feb -4.5lb, 25th feb -2.5lb, 4th mar -2.5, 11th Mar -3,

Savings £100 per month £300 /£1200
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 March 2011 at 11:26AM
    Options
    £230.65 spent so far including a first Ocado order coming today - £7.50 cashback from Quidco, and £15 off a £75 spend - bought nice nibbles for OHs birthday dinner instead of going out for a meal plus some storecupboard bits.

So busy I have forgotten to post. Please put Hex2 down for £500 for March

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • highland_fling_2
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    must buy milk, haven't a drop in the house. just hope no one pops in unexpectedly until I have been at the shop.

Have chicken breasts and minced beef defrosting at the moment. Both organic and bought them both on offer. Haven't decided what to do with them yet but will have a look at recipes at beginning of thread and I will be spoilt for choice. We need never buy another cookery book again with all the lovely recipes there. Thankyou to everyone who contributed. I for one really appreciate your ideas.

Have a frugal weekend.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have just popped on to update my signature. I did some very very careful shopping on Thursday, preceded by hours on end playing with Tesc0's price check thingy. There are a few people here who've asked about it so I'll go into a bit of detail - hope nobody minds!

Where it gets complicated is that Tesc0 will refund double the difference if your ENTIRE shop would have cost less at MrA. So if your bread would have cost 10p less at MrA but your milk would have cost 10p more then they cancel each other out and there is no refund. So the trick is to prepare, and split your trolley.

On the price check website ( http://www.tesco.com/pricecheck/ ) you can check the two costs for an individual product, or "browse by aisle" to spot real bargains. I did a LOT of this and made myself 2 SEPARATE shopping lists. You have to check the prices on the same day as you do the shopping as they're changed every day, and as far as I can tell you need to use the price check website because some of the others come up with different comparisons. I copied the info from the website & printed it so I bought exactly the right product at the right price - to make sure it was the comparable one.

There are a few things where the "double the difference" refund is bigger than the cost - so they're paying you to take it away :beer: Example was Banrock wine - priced at £10.49 a bottle :eek: at Tesc0 but £5 at MrA. So you pay £10.49, but are refunded double the difference - the difference is 5.49 so the refund is 2*5.49 = £10.98! BUT be aware - the refund is in a Tesc0 voucher and must be used within 28 days of issue. There is also a risk - prices do change often (both shops are watching each other and repricing daily) and sometimes things get excluded for no apparent reason. A lot of the stuff which I wouldn't have bought except for the offer I didn't unpack when I got home - I put it to one side until I got confirmation of the refund, so I could return it if I didn't get my refund :p The 4 bottles of wine in particular!!

So I have one list of stuff I want to buy which is cheaper at Asda, and one of other stuff. I go round Mr T's with my trolley split in half - to keep the 2 lists separate. I paid for the 2 lots separately. When I got home I put the details from my carefully selected trolley into the pricecheck thingy, and the following day they emailed me my voucher for more than 3/4 of my money back :j Of course the snag is that I have spent the money - it's come out of my account, even though I have this massive voucher sitting here ready for next month! In hindsight I should have split my trolley further and divided the "selected" lot into 2 batches so I would have got 2 medium vouchers instead of one huge one - it can only be used once, so next month I'll have to do a mega top-up shop at the beginning of the month to make full use of the voucher.

It's taken me a couple of days to work out how to account for it in the grocery challenge, but I think I've got it now!

Other hint for anyone who's going to try and work the system...
    Particularly good deals are often things where Tesc0 has the product on BOGOF while Mr A is half price - I got cheese for £3.98, it was on BOGOF but I only bought one, didn't get the "free" one. It was £2 at MrA so my refund was £3.96 - meaning I got a block of cheese for 2p :beer:.

Anyhow, after pondering it, I am only charging the balance (what I paid MINUS the refund voucher) to this month's grocery challenge. More money than that has come off my credit card, but it will rebalance itself next month when I spend the voucher. It all gets very complicated. I kind of enjoyed it, it's like a game, to see whether I can beat Tesc0 on their home ground. Like most gambling, bear in mind that the house always wins in the end - I got a massive voucher, but I have to go back to them to spend it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure