Needing reassurance when travelling on public transport and PIP?

I can only travel on familiar journeys, journeys I have done with staff so I know what to do. If unfamiliar I can get lost/overwhelmed. Sometime when loud groups of people get on the bus/train I become paranoid that they are looking/talking about me. Sometimes I find it too overwhelming and get off at earlier stops than become lost. I rarely go on public tansport on my own but when I do it's familiar journeys. I find when I'm with my staff my anxieties are less as I focus on taking to my staff.

I'm seeing on going on some coach trips with my friend I live in supported living with. He's more confident with public transport than me. He will be leading the way on trips. Well we will be supporting each other.

Do you think this will not make me eligible for low PIP mobility if I can travel with my friend and can travel on my own sometimes if it's not too overwhelming? Travel that I have trained for with my staff.

Comments

• w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Try not to worry about you PIP application. Do as much as you're able to do, including the trips with your friends, and be open and honest when you come to apply for PIP, they'll then decide what you're entitled to. Don't limit yourself because you're worried about PIP
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,921
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Also bear in mind that PIP looks at what you can do reliably for the majority of the time.

By having your friend with you when travelling to unfamiliar place does not invalidate a PIP award as the descriptor is:
    1d. Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid. 10 points.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure