PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

4 Weeks - no viewings!

Hi

Looking for some advice re not receiving any viewings or any interest in 4 weeks.

I have gone with a local estate agent - who I have now realised isn't much use and provide no communication unless I contact them.

We are looking for a quick sale and have reduced the price now by £10,000 hopefully to generate some interest.

I can't post the right move link as I am new to the forum but the property reference is 71354152 - if you google rightmove 71354152 it will bring up our property!

I am hoping for some feedback - however brutal!!

Thanks

Comments

• Halfie
    Halfie Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It looks like a lovely home, spacious and well presented. If it was in the area we're looking I'd definitely be viewing! I don't know St Helens at all but I can only assume the price isn't set quite right to get people through the door to view it and fall in love with it. I would suggest dropping to £250k to take it to the next band on Rightmove and get it on more people's radars. Good luck!
  • Nice home . I see it's a 4 bedroom detached house . What I don't understand though,is why it's leasehold . I didn't think leaseholds applied to houses . Sorry I'm not much help otherwise .
  • AH15
    AH15 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Thanks.

All of the houses in this area and our previous house have been leasehold - now its changed so new builds cant be sold as leasehold but when we bought this house it was common for all new builds to be on a leasehold basis.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I can't see anything obvious really, it's a clean, tidy house (apart from the full dirty laundry baskets ;) ), nice garden, no chain, £5k less than comparable houses and much nicer than some of the £250k houses.

Only one little niggle that would put me off is 'offers in excess of'. Do you want £255k or do you want more? It's a buyers market and buyers want to haggle down, not up. That just makes you seem very inflexible.

Other than that, it seems like a lazy EA.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Agree, it's well presented and there's nothing that would make anything think "Christ, I couldn't live with that".

So the supposition must be that the price is wrong. The next step is to figure out what the market value actually is. To do so, you can look at recent sales and at what your competition is.

If you look at Zoopla it appears that the last sale in your road was 18 months ago. That was a differently-configured 4-bedroom, #9, that went for £210k. Zoopla now reckons it's worth £217k. That's based on local sales information, so has to be taken with the requisite amount of salt in any specific case. But it appears that prices where you are have been flatlining lately, so based on that, something in the £210 to £220k range is what you should expect.

Rightmove also shows similar properties nearby. Apart from yours there's another 4-bed on at £260k but three others at £220 to £240k. I guess if those are the asking prices they would probably sell at £200 to £220k.

So what the competition will sell for again points to £220k- ish being the top end of the likely price.

Zoopla also shows that you paid £207k 5 years ago. The obvious question is, why would someone pay 23% more than that now? Zoopla reckons prices have gone up 17% over that period, so I suppose that could be a reason, but on the other hand that particular Zoopla number has to be treated with great caution (if a small flat sells for £100k and then 5 years later a large house in the same street sells for £1 million, ISTR Zoopla will conclude that prices have gone up 900%, whereas in fact, the two sales were of very dissimilar properties).

It looks to me like you would get £220k for your place, perhaps a shade over, so the question to the agent is what price do you offer it at to get a sale at that price? At the moment, people who'd pay you £220k for it may think you won't come down from £255k to £220k so there's no point viewing, and meanwhile, they have 3 other places to look at that are much closer to that figure.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    AH15 wrote: »
    All of the houses in this area and our previous house have been leasehold - now its changed so new builds cant be sold as leasehold but when we bought this house it was common for all new builds to be on a leasehold basis.
    That would put me off, would it be possible for you to purchase the freehold?
  • 'Offers In Excess Of'...
    that is likely to be putting people off.
  • AH15
    AH15 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Thank you for replying with your feedback.

Agree with what your saying but we didn't pay £207k - we paid £250k with Zoopla saying we should sell for £291k, however at £255k we are looking for a 2% increase.

The houses marketed at the £220k - £240k are smaller than ours or don't have the additional dining room area downstairs plus are on the main road within the estate - lots of vehicles where as we are in a quiet cul-de-sac.

But I do take on board your comments re price and accept that people will only be willing to pay £220k
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure