Daughter’s Boyfriend Moving In

Options
In need of a little assistance. I am a 41 year old mother of two. I live with one 22yo son, one 19yo daughter, and my 51 yo partner. My partner is not working, we are not married, his only income is income support and he receives Carers allowance for me. I receive PIP & Housing Benefit which covers the rent for my 3 bedroom council home. My son works full time and contributes £250 a month board money. My daughter is declared as disabled by DWP and is in receipt of the LCWRA component of Universals credit and receives standard daily living PIP and enhance Mobility PIP. Now here’s where it gets confusing for me. My daughter has been with her boyfriend for almost 2 years now, and is getting married to him in October. My daughters boyfriend is currently living at his mothers but his situation with her isn’t the best and has asked if he can move in with us. He doesn’t work currently and is living at his mothers, again which is a council property, rent free. We don’t have a problem with this, however I want to know whether him moving in would affect any of my benefits and if so how. My daughter is very limited to what she can do and as my son works, and my daughters dad is already my Carer, her boyfriend does take care of her a lot and if he were to move in he would need to become her Carer full time, which agin, Carer’s allownace would be his income. Would him moving in affect me or my partner or anyone in anyway? Please help.

Thank you.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You don’t say if he is getting any benefits already but I would expect daughter’s boyfriend/husband will need to claim Universal Credit and be joined to your daughter’s claim. He can be treated as a carer within UC without claiming Carer’s Allowance. If he does choose Carer’s Allowance the money will be taken into account when working out the UC.

The only way in which he could affect your benefits is an expectation that he would contribute towards your rent and Council Tax - however because you receive PIP this will not apply.

You may wish to go to an advice agency such as Citizens Advice to get a thorough benefits review for everybody in the house.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whilst you continue to receive PIP, you are not subject to non-dependant deductions to your Housing Benefit.
    So as calcotti says your HB will not change as a consequence of your daughter's boyfriend moving in.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure