Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • first78
    • By first78 16th May 19, 1:48 PM
    • 893Posts
    • 406Thanks
    first78
    Can I buy a laptop paying instalments?
    • 16th May 19, 1:48 PM
    Can I buy a laptop paying instalments? 16th May 19 at 1:48 PM
    I really need a laptop so that I can Skype my family, apply for jobs and write a CV. Does anyone know where the best place to get a cheap one that I can pay for in instalments please?
Page 1
  • archived user
    • 16th May 19, 2:22 PM
    • 16th May 19, 2:22 PM
    Buy a cheap used one off Ebay or out of CEX if you're going to have to resort to finance on something you can buy from Currys for under 300. May I suggest Thinkpad T or X series as they're built like tanks and there's tons of them.
    • that
    • By that 17th May 19, 6:00 AM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    that
    • 17th May 19, 6:00 AM
    • 17th May 19, 6:00 AM
    As above post said.

these are still excellent https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Latitude-E7240-Ultrabook-i5-4300U-4GB-128GB-SSD-Touchscreen-Laptop/232902237137?

their webcam is broken, but is not a big issue for many people, could be replaced i suppose. Personally would like a larger disk, but still about the best cheapest deal around, were around 900 new, now 150 + 3-ish for windows license from ebay. if they are not already licensed?

These are not the best screen resolution, and if you are pay stupid money make sure it is at least 1,920x1,080.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 17th May 19, 9:46 AM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 17th May 19, 9:46 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:46 AM
    As above post said.

these are still excellent https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Latitude-E7240-Ultrabook-i5-4300U-4GB-128GB-SSD-Touchscreen-Laptop/232902237137?

their webcam is broken, but is not a big issue for many people, could be replaced i suppose. Personally would like a larger disk, but still about the best cheapest deal around, were around 900 new, now 150 + 3-ish for windows license from ebay. if they are not already licensed?

These are not the best screen resolution, and if you are pay stupid money make sure it is at least 1,920x1,080.
    Originally posted by that

12" Full HD Touchscreen is 1920 x 1080 pixels.

A working webcam would be quite important for Skype.

Yes, you can just clean install Windows 10 for yourself.

Also agree that the OP should buy what they can afford, as opposed to going on the "never, never".
    • dan958
    • By dan958 17th May 19, 10:12 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    dan958
    • 17th May 19, 10:12 AM
    • 17th May 19, 10:12 AM
    The interest rates will most likely be extremely high,

As other people have said, getting a used laptop from eBay will be your best bet. If money is a bit tight, I recommend using your local library as they may have computers.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 17th May 19, 1:57 PM
    • 7,341 Posts
    • 13,905 Thanks
    Farway
    • 17th May 19, 1:57 PM
    • 17th May 19, 1:57 PM
    Second for local library, or job centre use if CV & job applications
    • that
    • By that 17th May 19, 5:14 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    that
    • 17th May 19, 5:14 PM
    • 17th May 19, 5:14 PM
    12" Full HD Touchscreen is 1920 x 1080 pixels.

A working webcam would be quite important for Skype.

Yes, you can just clean install Windows 10 for yourself.

Also agree that the OP should buy what they can afford, as opposed to going on the "never, never".
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Most of the built in web cams, especially the older ones are crud, so even if it did work the chances are they would buy an external one.

The first batch of these were 1920 x 1080, but they are probably all gone before christmas.

End of the day you have to cut your coat according to your cloth. I'd rather buy one of these than a Chromebook for 300 as advertised in the London Metro this morning
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 18th May 19, 8:27 AM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 18th May 19, 8:27 AM
    • 18th May 19, 8:27 AM
    You can buy this cheapie for around 50(with the 10% discount they offer); https://www.encore-pc.co.uk/acer-travelmate-b115-m-celeron-n2930-1-83ghz-4gb-ram-500gb-hdd-grade-c and pair it with an SSD from 17 to 25 https://www.mymemory.co.uk/memory/data-storage/ssd-drives.html?dir=asc&order=price

It will happily complete the tasks above with an SSD fitted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEPh6CGD2GI

Five to ten minutes to swap to the SSD(that video is for changing the battery. The hard drive can be seen above the battery)
    • first78
    • By first78 18th May 19, 8:53 AM
    • 893 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    first78
    • 18th May 19, 8:53 AM
    • 18th May 19, 8:53 AM

As other people have said, getting a used laptop from eBay will be your best bet. If money is a bit tight, I recommend using your local library as they may have computers.
    Originally posted by dan958
    I use the library at the moment but it's not always convenient as I often have my daughter with me who I see not patient enough to sit still for an hour while I complete applications. I also work at the moment so can't always get to the library.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 18th May 19, 9:37 AM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Most of the built in web cams, especially the older ones are crud, so even if it did work the chances are they would buy an external one.

The first batch of these were 1920 x 1080, but they are probably all gone before christmas.

End of the day you have to cut your coat according to your cloth. I'd rather buy one of these than a Chromebook for 300 as advertised in the London Metro this morning
    Originally posted by that
    Whatever gave you that idea? You just made that up.

...as you did about the webcam; Webcam: 0.9 MP 720p video is quite good.
    So the issue would be "what exactly is wrong with the webcam?".

They are all 1920 x 1080p, otherwise they would not state Full HD. The first batch were actually 'A' Grade. Then when those sold out, it went to 'B Grade'. So as the better ones have already been given out, you are left with some that have defects.

I too would wholeheartedly recommend if it weren't for the webcam and her requirement to chat via Skype.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 18th May 19, 10:53 AM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    If the thought of swapping the drives is too much for you, then something like this should be ok out of the box; https://www.encore-pc.co.uk/lenovo-thinkpad-l530-i3-3120m-2-50ghz-4gb-ram-160gb-grade-c

Just make sure that you get the pop up with the 10% discount code before proceeding.
    • that
    • By that 18th May 19, 12:41 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    that
    Ah OK, i is the non touch screen ones which are 1366 x 768 - ta

under 7 for a new replacement camera from ebay + plus a sensible person with a screwdriver.

Not sure if the lens align, but have you seen the hbv-1815 module which is 8MP camera? - I'd try it if i had the need, I have, and prefer an external camera
    out ssd

First 78, EveryWhere's suggestions are good, the first one is a smaller screen and lighter, the second is a far better spec with a larger screen too, about double the weight of the first one. Personally I would chose the second, but i would not be carrying it much either.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 18th May 19, 1:59 PM
    • 18,810 Posts
    • 11,640 Thanks
    motorguy

Originally posted by dan958
    Very will offer interest free over 12 months on laptops.

Amazon are doing 5 months payments interest free on a lot of laptops and other goods but seems to be account specific. Worth checking though.

Lots of interest free credit card offers about too.

The problem is of course, that this pushes you in to a more expensive new product than most people need.

Personally - as already suggested i'd be looking at a used T series Lenovo Thinkpad or an X series. Maybe an X240 if in budget.

Loads about on ebay.

I've been looking at replacing my badly worn but just 3 years old HP Envy 13 i7 and rather than spend the frankly ridiculous 1500 required to by an XPS 13 or something by Microsoft with a bit of spec, i'm thinking of buying a used Lenovo X1 Carbon. A fraction of the price and business quality rather than consumer quality.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • first78
    • By first78 19th May 19, 12:10 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    first78
    If the thought of swapping the drives is too much for you, then something like this should be ok out of the box; https://www.encore-pc.co.uk/lenovo-thinkpad-l530-i3-3120m-2-50ghz-4gb-ram-160gb-grade-c

Just make sure that you get the pop up with the 10% discount code before proceeding.
    Looks like these are sold out now 😢
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 19th May 19, 1:10 PM
    • 18,810 Posts
    • 11,640 Thanks
    motorguy
    Looks like these are sold out now 😢
    Originally posted by first78
    Theres one avail for less on ebay and Grade B not Grade C

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-L530-Core-i3-3110M-CPU-2-40GHz-250GB-4GB-15-6-Win10-Pro-A83/183814595085?hash=item2acc34220d%3Ag%3ACBUAAOSwRON c3qRA&LH_BIN=1&frcectupt=true
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 20th May 19, 9:03 AM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Looks like a Grade C to me. They've simply added A+ & B+ to eliminate the need for stating C.

85.69 is not cheaper than the Encore laptop at 81. In addition, the Encore laptop had a slightly better CPU.

But the eBay laptop has a one year warranty and Windows 10 Pro installed. So just as good value if not better. Plus the OP can make an offer on it to bring it down to the price of the Encore laptop.
    • first78
    • By first78 20th May 19, 10:11 AM
    • 893 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    first78
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if a laptop has windows 10 installed does this mean it will have Word on it?
    • first78
    • By first78 20th May 19, 10:13 AM
    • 893 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    first78
    Looks like a Grade C to me. They've simply added A+ & B+ to eliminate the need for stating C.

85.69 is not cheaper than the Encore laptop at 81. In addition, the Encore laptop had a slightly better CPU.

But the eBay laptop has a one year warranty and Windows 10 Pro installed. So just as good value if not better. Plus the OP can make an offer on it to bring it down to the price of the Encore laptop.
    How long would you estimate a laptop at this price would last?
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 20th May 19, 10:39 AM
    • 9,027 Posts
    • 6,813 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if a laptop has windows 10 installed does this mean it will have Word on it?
    Unlikely but you can use free office suites like Libreoffice or Google Docs
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 20th May 19, 11:07 AM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    How long would you estimate a laptop at this price would last?
    The laptops mentioned, ThinkPads, can be expected to last for many years as they are built more solidly than many consumer laptops and often tend to be supported by the manufacturer for longer.

So it's not about the current price, as these laptops could easily cost 700 when new.

So you are buying a 700 laptop for 80.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

108Posts Today

2,205Users online

Martin's Twitter