Personal Assistant Qualification Recommendations

Hi Everyone,

I've gained quite a lot of senior admin/PA experience over the years and am now thinking of working towards a qualification to formalise this. Does anyone have any recommendations for qualifications that are recognised and respected by employers? I know that Pitman Training is well regarded but it is incredibly expensive. At the other end of the scale I've seen lots of PA courses on reed.co.uk that seem too cheap to be true!

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What are you hoping to do: a course to give you a qualification so you can show you've got a qualification, or a course where you will learn useful, relevant skills - or both, of course, in an ideal world.

The reality is that the days of 'secretarial certificates' showing shorthand and typing speeds are long gone, and you may fare better if you look at the job sector(s) in which you work or would like to work, and see what qualifications are realistically within your grasp. You may find you could make a serious career move and thoroughly enjoy it, especially if you can find an employer willing to sponsor you.

Have a look at http://www.directoryoftheprofessions.co.uk/sites-professions-admin.html which may help.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd just check job listings you would like to work for and see what they ask for. Going up the career ladder isn't quick or easy else everyone would do it. Get a lot of experience under your belt then ask for a promotion, if they can't offer it, go elsewhere for it.

My personal opinion is that a qualification would be a waste of time/money and I don't often see qualifications preferred in postings. YMMV.
    Know what you don't
  • monkey84
    monkey84 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Thanks. Well, yes, both really! The issue that I'm having is that even though I do have the skills and experience and can look through a job description and say 'I can do that', because I've never had a job title of PA/EA, agencies seem to overlook me for these roles. I made sure to highlight all of the relevant bits in my CV.
    I'm just thinking that a qualification might help to show that I'm serious and capable!
  • Exodi
    monkey84 wrote: »
    Thanks. Well, yes, both really! The issue that I'm having is that even though I do have the skills and experience and can look through a job description and say 'I can do that', because I've never had a job title of PA/EA, agencies seem to overlook me for these roles. I made sure to highlight all of the relevant bits in my CV.
    I'm just thinking that a qualification might help to show that I'm serious and capable!

I think this resonates the adage of 'can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job' - this applies to all sectors and is irrelevant of qualifications.

Your other issue is that agencies just want to get the best matched people into jobs as quickly as possible to get their commission and maintain their credibility. Recruitment agencies would be presented with a job spec similar to one you'd see online, so don't think you're being disregarded to a criteria you couldn't be aware of.

Personally I would;

1) Apply for jobs directly where possible
    2) Have people scrutinise your CV, make sure you clearly show that you could do the job and how you stand out from the rest.
    3) Clear up the obscurity in your cover letter; why haven't you been a PA/EA before and why do you want to be one now?

Out of interest, you say 'job title of PA/EA' - do you mean Personal Assistant and Estate Agent? These are quite different jobs, I'd personally tailor CV's to each of these roles rather than a slapdash document that says you'd be willing to both (as it sounds like you're not committed).
    Know what you don't
  • EA - Executive Assistant
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I went from working in an advertising agency for 8 years as an Account Handler to becoming PA to CEO of a telecommunications company without specific PA/EA experience, I went to agencies and demonstrated my transferable skills and was given a chance at the tele company and kept on for 2 years until I left.

I'm now an EA at an Investment bank. I do have computer skills like Word and some Excel and basic PowerPoint but my role is mainly arranging calls and meetings and travel and I use email a lot!

Make sure you state in your cover letter what your transferable skills are: liaising with clients / customers / travel agencies / finance department etc, organising meetings / conferences / evening events for example, dealing with personal duties for your boss (i.e. paying credit card bills, researching holidays).

Maybe look at PA/EA roles on secsinthecity for example and see what transferable skills you have.
  • Exodi
    MarkN88 wrote: »
    EA - Executive Assistant

Now that makes a lot more sense :rotfl:

I was scratching my head wondering why the OP was fixated on two specific roles that seem the opposite of each other; makes sense now!
    Know what you don't
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    It's all about transferable skills and how you put them in your coverings letter to demonstrate you know how to do it.

Eg you take notes for a letter / detailed phone messages from clients /customers = you can do minutes in meetings.

Arranging meetings = Diary management.

I've got the secretarial and legal qualifications, but it's my transferable skills employers look at.

So look at your CV, go over your job history and see what's relevant to the jobs you are going for. But being a PA isn't all it's cracked up to be! One of my workmates is one and she has had enough now.

Make sure you are not just chasing the money as without job satisfaction you will not stick it out.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm a group level PA in a FTSE100 company, I don't have a PA qualification but loads of experience.

If I was to gain a certificate in a subject it would probably be project management or business finance related.

Although I manage my directors mail box and meetings I'm more hands on with projects and the organisation of other people to meet the projects deadlines etc

I guess it depends on the field you want to be in.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Just having a quick look at a few advertised PA roles in my area and the "essential and desirable" aspects in relation to qualifications are featured around the following -

1. GCSE's including Maths and English Language
    2. A-Levels
    3. Microsoft Office training
    4. Business Administration qualifications
    5. Leadership and management courses
    6. Project management qualifications

Obviously each individual job role will have its own requirements, but if you are missing any of the above maybe concentrate on gaining those, but as already pointed out, I would work on experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure