Humax T2000 as a sky replacement

Comments

• Thanks both for further comments.

I'm cancelling a joint Sky TV/Broadband at £49 a month after expiry of deal, switching to £18 a month NowTV Broadband+Entertainment pack. Given the £31 saving, the set-top box would pay for itself in 5 months if bought from BT not as a customer, so think that seems the most sensible route.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    BWFCAaron wrote: »
    Thanks both for further comments.

I'm cancelling a joint Sky TV/Broadband at £49 a month after expiry of deal, switching to £18 a month NowTV Broadband+Entertainment pack. Given the £31 saving, the set-top box would pay for itself in 5 months if bought from BT not as a customer, so think that seems the most sensible route.
    Fair enough, although the MSE option would be to buy a BT box from ebay ;)
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,499
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi - firstly, what a brilliant forum, it's really helped find a solution for binning off sky.

Looking around it seems the Humax T2000 is an almost like-for-like replacement for the skybox - I wanted something which has a similar planner and recording function, access to apps like sky store (where we've already purchased kids movies which are repeatedly viewed) and things like Netflix, iPlayer etc

You will lose access to everything recorded on the Sky box EVEN IF you have paid for it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    brewerdave wrote: »
    You will lose access to everything recorded on the Sky box EVEN IF you have paid for it.

No you don't, they change the Sky account to a Sky Store only account so paid for movies (buy and keep) can still be viewed.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,499
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    No you don't, they change the Sky account to a Sky Store only account so paid for movies (buy and keep) can still be viewed.

Even if they are on the HDD in the Sky box??
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534
    Forumite
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Even if they are on the HDD in the Sky box??

You will not be able to watch them on the sky box. Just the streaming app.
  • Thanks all, really helpful information. Planning on sorting the Humax box tomorrow.

Just one query left though - would I be able to plug in an external drive to view content via the box? I can't seem to find a straightforward answer anywhere.

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks all, really helpful information. Planning on sorting the Humax box tomorrow.

Just one query left though - would I be able to plug in an external drive to view content via the box? I can't seem to find a straightforward answer anywhere.

Thanks

Are you talking about the Humax T2000? You do remember that it's a Freeview/Youview box so needs an aerial (not the satellite dish)?

Any Humax box that has the letter 'T' either end of the model number is a terrestrial box (Freeview/Youview), if it has the letter 'S' either end of the model number then it requires a satellite dish (Freesat).
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    Forumite
    Are you talking about the Humax T2000? You do remember that it's a Freeview/Youview box so needs an aerial (not the satellite dish)?

Any Humax box that has the letter 'T' either end of the model number is a terrestrial box (Freeview/Youview), if it has the letter 'S' either end of the model number then it requires a satellite dish (Freesat).
    The OP is well aware of this, read his initial post ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    neilmcl wrote: »
    The OP is well aware of this, read his initial post ;)

Post #3 (his 2nd one) stated that they have never tried the aerial, they need to check it first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure