How to cancel Netflix after voucher expires

A month ago I entered a £15 gift voucher into my Netflix account (account already opened after trying a free month) but there is no indication of when it expires. The customer services chat wasn't very clear as I wanted to use a months worth, pause it, and re-open in the future to use the remaining voucher. Apparently you can't do this and have to use the full amount in one go.

So basically, how do I ensure that when this voucher runs it's course it doesn't automatically charge to my credit card ? I I cancel it now I don't want to lose my remaining voucher.

Comments

• hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,480
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    124 views and no response. Netflix must not be as polular as I thought.
  • sept
    sept Posts: 3 Newbie
    If your payment method is by paypal you should be able to login to paypal and cancel the pre-approved payment. I guess the same could work with your card too? Cancel the payment through your bank account. I've never done the latter though
  • You just cancel your account now, and as soon as the voucher runs out your access to watch programs will end automatically. Not sure if that means you lose any odd pound or two left on the gift certificate, but if you’ve cancelled your account they should def not take anything off your credit card.

Log in to your Netflix account via a browser NOT on the app - you cannot access your billing details in the app at all - then go to your name icon (top left on my website page) and select “account”. When in account you should see a link to “Billing Details”, click on this and it will show you the dates your membership is taken and how much is left on your gift certificate. You’ll also see the button on this page to cancel.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 30 March 2019 at 9:06PM
    Your voucher will be enough to cover 2 months (assuming you choose the basic package) but the third month a small amount will be needed to be taken from your card (I think 2.97 I think ) then I believe you cancel once that payment had been taken.

Its very easy to cancel, its done via your Neflix account.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ElizabethB wrote: »
    You just cancel your account now, and as soon as the voucher runs out your access to watch programs will end automatically. Not sure if that means you lose any odd pound or two left on the gift certificate, but if you’ve cancelled your account they should def not take anything off your credit card.

Log in to your Netflix account via a browser NOT on the app - you cannot access your billing details in the app at all - then go to your name icon (top left on my website page) and select “account”. When in account you should see a link to “Billing Details”, click on this and it will show you the dates your membership is taken and how much is left on your gift certificate. You’ll also see the button on this page to cancel.

Hi Elizabeth how sure are you that you cannot access billing details on the app ?
  • jjhdee
    jjhdee Posts: 65
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Afaik you cannot access billing on the app. You can do it on your phone, but it has to be through your phone's browser.

You won't lose access now if you cancel Netflix, but only after the voucher and your payment have run out. It should not charge your cc once the subscription expires.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    hubb wrote: »
    124 views and no response. Netflix must not be as polular as I thought.

Nah!...... who cancels Netflix??? ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport