Becoming debt free is HARD WORK

And soo boring! I'm hoping a diary will help me to keep motivated.
I'm a nurse and my husband is a post and we have two children aged 4 &5- they keep growing and I've just had to buy them new clothes! I'd like to clear my debt by December but I'm not sure if I can do it so I need support to stop buying things!
I'll do my SOA this week but currently own 2000GBP on overdraft and 4000GBP on a credit card that I used for university fees and when I had a big bill to pay- like the car!
I'm doing YNAB but have to confess not used it in the last few days as I'm already over budgeted and that's before all the other things I've had to buy this month. It seems never ending.
Wish me luck!:beer:

Comments

• Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Good Luck Elvis. Kids grow at an alarming rate - I've just had to buy new shoes for my 2 which has set me back £70! Look forward to seeing your Soa and good luck on your journey.
  • elvis69
    elvis69 Posts: 110
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks Storm89- children are expensive!
    So I've had a relatively good day today. Went to a local NT for 'free' with the kiddies though they did sting me for some more bloody cuddly things which cost me 8quid and they have promptly discarded them! Need to learn the lesson there.
    Tomorrow we are going to a big stately home nearby that we got given a membership for for Xmas. Am really looking forward to that. Picnic already planned!
    Just settling down to work on my dissertation now, I'm not sure where I can fit it all in!
    Checked bank account today and everything has gone out ok and I'm 100pounds better off then last month but still not clearing the overdraft as quickly as I'd like. I really need to stay focussed on it!
    About 6 months ago my mortgage payment couldn't go out, I had nearly had a heart attack, I had to ring my mum and she helped me out and it went out that day on their second try. Skin of the teeth stuff and definitely a lightbulb moment for me.
    We are going away for a week next week. Going to stay in my parents' caravan so should be nice and cheap and I am already preparing food for the week so we don't have to spend too much on eating out and I don't have to spend ages cooking!
  • elvis69
    Forumite
    I can't seem to link my SOA as my computer keeps saying it's a virus
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,641
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    Getting debt free is hard work but worth it.
    You can do it.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • elvis69
    Forumite
    Thanks, BeanieLou. It will be worth it I hope!
    Good day today despite horrific weather. Took a picnic to a stately home that we got an annual subscription to for Christmas. Great fun. Lots to do. didn't spend much. Then when we got home found out that my youngest's waterproofs were no longer waterproof! That's another 40quid I need to spend!
    Went to Garden centre on the way home and pretty pleased that I didn't spend 30quid on something but instead a fiver and made it myself
    Onwards and upwards! Think we will do a NT thing tomorrow- school holidays are exhausting!
  • Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    I aren't very computer savvy but I just wrote my SOA out on here in my own way just did income and outgoings lol.
    Must have been scary with the mortgage thing , I had a similar panic when we came to the end of our fixed rate . I had a major panic that when we remortgaged they would do another credit check but thankfully they didn't and we went onto another 2 year fixed rate that was cheaper than what we had been paying. Annual passes to things are great , glad you enjoyed the stately home despite the weather !
  • elvis69
    Forumite
    Thanks it gave me a real fright! Part of the problem is that my wage is stuck but food etc is going up!
    I also seem to have an annoying ability of holding in my spending then when I've done well I 'splurge' like I have done today! Ended up spending 100gBP in town (including 35 quid for hypnosis to give up smoking so can't be all bad) on stuff we needed like health stuff in Boots.
    When I was walking round today in the sunshine I was thinking how lovely it would be to have a day in town with my girls and have nice lunch and do some shopping. I can't do that at the moment and that makes it hard too.
    They're still little so in the end we went to the park and they loved that more! I was wondering while I was in town how everyone affords all the stuff they buy? Is it all credit? None of them looked like it was bothering them! Hmm random musings
    My husband and I are going out for dinner tomorrow with friends. I was going to drive and not drink but my friend says she will take me down so it might be nice to go out and have a drink together! So long as I don't smoke!!
  • elvis69
    Forumite
    Nice morning so far. Beautiful day outside. Washing machine has broken down so I'm waiting for the repairman to come and fix it and have packed my husband off with the kids and dog to the park. I was going to do housework but instead I've made a posh coffee and watching the last of keeping faith with my feet up!
    I never do this!
  • elvis69
    Forumite
    NSD today! Hurrah! But spent loads on a night out last night. Damn it! Still managed to spend all day doing my dissertation, 1500 words down and another 8500 to go....
  • elvis69
    Forumite
    ON HOLIDAY!! Free holiday as my parents have a static caravan. Today was 'spend day' so we had picnic and then fish and chips and ice creams by the sea. Bloody lovely
    Girls exhausted..... so are we!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure