Apple muncher's number crunching

Comments

• Well done on the sales! :T

Hope tonight went well xx
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,662
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hmmm. Last night was dire... Awful sales! Plenty of compliments but people were there to get pamper treatments, buy themselves lotions and potions, and then drink in the bar until the raffle was drawn.

So tis a night to forget!

However, in late November, they will be running a 'hand made' evening, so I may try that. But most sales are where there are children,not in the evening.

I did get a free coffee, but that caused me to really struggle to fall asleep - it was well after 3.30...

Today shall be a staying home day.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • :eek: on the sleep! You should be still in bed!

:( on the sales - but! Try to think of it as a good marketing experience. Plenty of people will remember you if they took the time to compliment you. They'll probably be more likely to buy next time they see you (Especially if it's near Christmas!). You'll have got good feedback to work from too (it's always worth doing practice events to see what works/what doesn't). I'm sure the next one will be much more successful! :) xx
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • apple_muncher
    Forumite
    Dh's alarm was set on mega loud, at 7.15. Ugh. And dd is usually awake by 7.30 anyway.

Am going to do a zuzka light bunny slope workout, to relax and mobilise me. She says it is a good one for mums to start them exercising. I feel old enough to be her mum today!
  • apple_muncher
    Forumite
    Payday came early, so I have tidied up the loose ends. Every 450 means a month off the mortgage.

Nsd total for Feb should be 18/16:D

Dh still has not heard from the interview 10+ days ago...

March needs to be tough (as per NST). Our food budget is the most fluid as dh spent a lot of Feb at home, thus eating both breakfast and lunch here. And gallons of tea/coffe with the accompanying kettle boils... May need to up it, so that we can see exactly where we are. May even use a separate purse for food and make him use cash, as he tends to shop with the debit card. Probably best talk it over with him first...!

March will have 13 days at work and therefore 18 not at work. Is it too much to ask to go for 18 exercise days...?

Eating well has to be high up on the list. I've done 7 days of no sugar and no grains, and am feeling better for it.

I'll aim to make 31 items. Have a few bunny ideas in mind, although I feel rather meh about it all at the moment. That will pass.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Sorry to hear about lack of sales :( xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • apple_muncher
    Forumite
    NST MARCH
    TURTLES ARE TOUGH

:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j

March starts with Mother's Day (6th) and ends with Easter (GF 25th) and then there's also the 17th. Some of you will have holidays booked (please feel free to join the challenge suitably adjusted). Have you extra childcare needs/ expenditure? Food budgets may need to be adjusted if people normally eat elsewhere. School holidays should include as many free/ low cost treats as possible (for adults as well). I mention it now as some events have limited numbers. However otherwise it is

Time to get tough. Time to get serious. Time to stop procrastinating. What have you been putting off? What have you been avoiding? Are there any areas where you are falling down?

U will avoid coffee shops, pie shops, sandwich bars, vending machines, canteens and takeaways

Reduce your food budget by 1/15th (divide this month's budget by 15 and take one off). This means that those with large family budgets reduce by the same amount as lone turtles.

The challenge runs from 1st March to midnight on the 31st March.

Lunchto work every day. Also to appointments/ other regular activities and if possible on outings.

Exercise. 4 x 30 minutes a week. Please exercise with caution if you have been ill. Break it down into 10 minutes sessions if you need to. Those who already have more developed regimes, continue as usual.

Savings or debt repayments come first. live on what is left over.

Audit your cupboards, fridge and freezer and meal plan before going shopping. Make a meal using something that has been in the cupboard for a while.

Review your annual budget. Next year's Council tax and Water bills will be arriving. The big energy switch has just taken place. These bills have greater impact on those on lower incomes but everyone needs to factor them in (don't go overdrawn). Are all your renewal dates in your diary so you can compare ahead of time? Are there any annual/ occasional expenses which you tend to forget?

Eat Well. Give your brain and body the fuel they need to do their jobs. Eat more veg to boost your immune system - particularly important for those who have been ill recently. Remember the standard portion of meat should be approximately the size of a small matchbox.

Tough. This is my aim this March. Deviations from the rules may be questioned. Alternatives will be suggested. This means that I must be tougher on myself then on you as to do less would be hypocritical. If you are putting yourself on the naughty step could you take a duster or wet cloth and give it a wipe when you are there as I am still finding it difficult to reach?

Others as ourselves Donate to a food bank or charity of your choice (time, goods or money). Someone somewhere is worse off than you.

U will aim for 16 Spend Free Days. Remember this is to help stop impulse spending, the 'went in for two things and came out with a basketful' syndrome. Also helps with small spends which can become expensive habits. A small chocolate bar won't kill you but when you get to 11 am and you are expecting that chocolate bar (and then eating tit without any awareness). If you prefer to chart your spending in line with your budget (ie half way through the month/ less than 1/2 spent) this is fine.

Get ready. the clocks change at the month end. Spring is officially upon us. Time to get fit - physically, mentally and moneywise.

Home. This will be my main focus for March, making up for years of neglect and patching up.I would like you to make up a 'snag list'. Go round your house one room at a time and list all the jobs that need doing. You can add 'niggly' jobs if you like - the drawer that never gets sorted. Sort into things you can tackle (or think of ways to tackle them) and those you might have to pay for. Start with the no cost ones. If it's something that would take less than 5 minutes, just do it (you are allowed to put it on the list and tick it off afterwards - I know how satisfying that can be).

So are you tough enough for March?

So, this is the March challenge by mothernerd...

Started the month well with my first NSD and 10k steps. But am having a weary time of it. So is dd. It is therefore up to dh to keep us going!
  • apple_muncher
    Forumite
    I think that I was asleep before dd last night!

She came home from brownies with a borrowed brownie badge book, so she'll probably devour that soon, and plot and plan...
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,876
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sorry to hear your sales evening was a bit of a wash out but as you say it sounds like they were not there to spend but to indulge in freebies

Did you enjoy the chatting/selling bit though :D
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • apple_muncher
    Forumite
    I have finally cut out some more bunnies. Denim ones with stripey or rose under-limbs and hats.

Dh has been inspired re dress-up day at work tomorrow: James Bond. My trousers and his shirt, jacket and bowtie.

He has a job centre appt first thing, so we'll see what comes of that. He is completely up for reducing our outgoings (yay!) as the job he wanted has fallen though because the company didn't get the contract (boo). We have some annual renewal stuff coming up, so his job will be to find the best deal. He does already do this, but now has the extra motivation...!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback