Charity fundraising article discussion

Options

Comments

• Saving4Jesus
    Options
    I'm using www dot give dot net because unlike some other sites they are 100% not for profit.
  • littlesmasher
    Options
    They charge the donor [not the charity] a 2.75% transaction fee. They also allow fundraisers to set up pages for their fundraising event.

The MyDonate site [charge the charity, not the donor] is a little off-putting for first time donor as it makes them think they have to register first [they don't at all but they do have to click past it a couple of times to get to the payment form].

Hope this helps
  • kittyscavern
    Options
    Charity Giving used to be on the table as a good option, they seem to have disappeared. Does anyone know why they have been removed from the table or am I going blind? Thanks.
  • Jamie1989
    Options
    I work for a charity and we have a page on our site comparing the three fundraising sites we use (MyDonate, VMG, JustGiving):

As a new user, I can't post links - but if you Google "sos children online fundraising comparison", it's the 1st (non-sponsored) link!

It's not comprehensive in that it gives quite a simple explanation of the respective benefits of three sites, but it does show clearly in table form how much more our charity receives from fundraisers who use MyDonate, which is nice :)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Charity Giving used to be on the table as a good option, they seem to have disappeared. Does anyone know why they have been removed from the table or am I going blind? Thanks.
    I don't know what was known back in April, but in July the Charity Commission opened an enquiry into the Dove Trust which was running CharityGiving, and something had clearly gone wrong. More information here.

I don't think there are any concerns about any of the other online giving portals, so please don't let it put you off using them!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Malc80
    Options
    I'm looking for a little assistance with a fund raiser the I intend to do next year.

I plan on running the Barcelona and Edinburgh marathons next year. I want to raise money for two organisations. One is a charity, a local hospice and the other is a pipe band that I play in. The band is a non-profit organisation and rely on fund raising like this to survive.

I would like to have some sort of on-line donation function but as I am doing this for 2 organisations and one is not a charity, I've found this to prove quite difficult. Does anyone know of a site that I could use to collect donations?

Thanks in advance
  • Ukdavidwoods
    Options
    We have used both sites for the same charity.

The reason bt my donate was best value for a small charity and cost nothing to set up BUT we had to set up a virgin giving site when one of our donors wanted to collect for 3 charities during the one sponsored event. Virgin Giving has this facility BT My donate does not

We then had to balance the cost of opening the second account against the likely revenue.

On this occasion it was worth doing as our share of the sponsored event raised 20 times the cost of opening the account.

So,it's worth doing a bit more research to see if the options offered meet your needs.

It's no problem having 2giving sites but in retrospect had we known we would have needed the charity 'sharing' option we would have gone with virgin in the first place. :T
  • StGregs
    StGregs Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I work for a small charity and agree with some of the comments here. For us it's about balancing cost (no big set up costs when we don't have a huge volume of donations) against quality of service. We use Global Giving a lot and they are fantastic. They give their charities quality free training and proactively promote both their site in general and some of the charities listed there. As a result we've raised thousands of pounds from donors who would never have heard of us without Global Giving.

Charities Aid Foundation is one of the few sites at the cheaper end that I have discovered that can process regular donations, which is also a huge benefit to charities.

Lastly, if providers don't invest enough in their site design or servers then donors can be put off. No-one likes it if the page crashes when they try to make a donation. It costs money to run the service, and it requires skilled staff who need to eat and pay the rent, so I don't think it is terrible to pay a small amount for that. In the old days, doing everything by post was also not free.
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i'm involved in fund raising for charity, after being stung quite badly with charity giving/dove trust last year our main event was the day after they shut it down, and we are currently nearly 5k out of pocket with out hope of seeing any or all of it.

we've gone down the route of using paypal directly it's not too expensive and we get the money straight away, we also use virgingiving as was cheaper and easier to use than some of the other sites - but find allot of our supporters struggle with it.

looking at options going forward.
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • olddoozer
    Options
    I am an administrator for two charities.
    Today I have had an email from TotalGiving.co.uk saying somebody has visited my charity's page there and I ought to register in case that person wishes to make a donation.

The website says that they route donations through Paypal free of charge (other than Paypal's normal charity tariff transaction fees) and it looks as if they just create a front end donations page, nothing more.
    However I have never heard of them and although the website has mail address, email and telephone contact details there is no company registered number and other details that one would expect from an organisation that says that it is a "company".

The site has several testimonial type quotes from various people but does not mention who these people actually are or what (if any) organisations they actually represent.

Does anybody know anything about them or have any experience of using them? I am just a tad suspicious.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure