Excessive cancellation charge for wedding band

2»

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Liam21 wrote: »
    Is it the case that if they sued we could just settle straight away and just pay the £600 without any other impact?
    It would be more sensible to offer them less than £600, given they'd be avoiding the risk and hassle of going to court and would be getting it faster.
  • Liam21
    Liam21 Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    DoaM wrote: »
    The ONLY time credit rating is affected is:

1. IF someone takes you to court; and
    2. IF they win the claim; and
    3. IF you don't pay the judgment within the specified period

Item 1 is in their control
    Item 2 you could supply a robust defence - it would be up to a judge to decide on the balance of probabilities whose evidence he believes
    Item 3 would be entirely in YOUR control

As you can see, there's a lot has to happen, including you being lackadaisical, before any credit rating impact can occur. :)

I just heard back from CAB (contacted them a while back) and they said I would have a CCJ against my name (and therefore credit rating affected) if we lost - even if we paid straight up?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If this is the advice CAB are giving, they need re-training!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I just heard back from CAB (contacted them a while back) and they said I would have a CCJ against my name (and therefore credit rating affected) if we lost - even if we paid straight up?

Here's the correct information:
    https://www.gov.uk/county-court-judgments-ccj-for-debt/ccjs-and-your-credit-rating
    CCJs and your credit rating
    If you get a county court judgment (CCJ) or a high court judgment, it will stay on the Register of Judgments, Orders and Fines for 6 years.

Banks and loan companies use this information to decide whether to give you credit or loans.

If you pay within one month
    If you pay the full amount within one month, you can get the judgment removed from the register.

Write to the court to say you’ve paid. You’ll need to send proof of payment from the person or business you owed money to.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My main worry with letting them sue is impact on credit rating etc if we lose...

We cancelled back in Feb - it was supposed to be in June.

Remwmber only you can see the rating, lenders see your history.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 24 May 2019 at 9:13AM

They're talking bullocks. If you pay within the stipulated time (and provide evidence to the court) the CCJ is removed from the register - i.e. made as if it never existed. If you pay after the stipulated time it remains on the register and is marked as Satisfied.

The latter can affect your credit-worthiness (rating); the former can't as there's no history of the CCJ to find (unless you apply for credit between CCJ being issued and you paying it ... only a fool would do that).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure