Paid with PayPal and received DOA item - why should I pay return postage?

Hi All,

In April I saw an ad on FB and bought an Arduino UNO board with a ebook and some LED from this company (inventr.io) for $9.97.
It was a bit strange offer ("FREE board, you just pay small postage and handling fee"), but they sent me an email saying "At InventrKits we do something crazy that no other company can do, we offer a 100% money back guarantee if you don't like our board."
And they accepted PayPal, which I use (normally in conjunction with Ebay) so I felt safe.
The board arrived from China and it didn't work so I emailed their CS with all relevant info. The seller promised to come back to me with a solution but never did that.
I went to PayPal and opened a "Not as described" dispute (as "Not arrived" option was the only one left and obviously not applicable). The seller asked me to send the board to their US address.
I explained that the item is faulty so I expect them to provide me with a pre-paid return label, but they replied that it's not covered by their policies and offered to re-send a replacement item at no additional cost.
I pointed out that in case it doesn't arrive/DOA I won't be covered by PayPal Buyer protection because the case will be automatically closed in 10 days and therefore asked for another option.
They never came back to me and 2 days later I escalated the case to PayPal.
I explained the situation and underlined that in case of faulty item the seller should pay return postage and if I do that, it'd cost me as much as the refund and would left me with no item and no money.
After several hours I received 2 emails: one said "inventr has responded to the claim you filed against them. We're reviewing the claim and will carefully consider all the material before making a decision." and the other "After reviewing your case, we've determined that you are eligible for a refund of $9.97 USD.
To receive your refund, you need to: Return the item(s) to the seller at the address we provide, .. Provide online delivery tracking information in the Resolution Centre before 27 May."

Both emails were sent with no difference in time and based on the decision I'd say it's an automatic one.

Could anyone clarify if there is any way forward in my case or it's over and I lost it?

So far it looks like an almost perfect scam using a reputable online payment company as despite sending a faulty item seller will get the money because it's economically not viable to send it back with tracking overseas.

The company inventr.io has a page on FB where one can find several "they scammed me" posts so apparently they have a good business up there courtesy of PayPal.. :\

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,031
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    AS you bought from a non EU country you are bound by their rules so it is perfectly possible that they are not required to pay returns costs.

If the country in which they are based requires sellers to pay for returns then your recourse would be through their legal system, which would seem unworkable for such a small amount.

Even if they were then paypal can't enforce that, the only money they have is what you originally paid. If you had been signed up for the free returns scheme paypal might have provided a label themselves, however I don't believe you can sign up retrospectively.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Ulrich
    Ulrich Posts: 31
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yeah, I'm not familiar with the US consumer law, but mostly interested in PayPal side of things.
    Don't think I can sign up for retrospectively, and AFAIK it has a limit of £15 or so, hasn't it?
    PayPal cannot enforce the seller to pay for the return, but they could resolve the dispute in my favour, i.e return me my money they are currently having.
    But as it stands now, they effectively took the seller's side and left me out of pocket. Great "protection" it is.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    The company claim to be based in the US, they're not big on consumer protection... The applicable legislation will come from the state in which they're based, but they don't seem to specify that anywhere and the T&Cs specify that "US law" applies which is nonsense. I suspect they're really based in China, so...

Unfortunately this is one of the risks when you buy from overseas.
  • Ulrich
    Ulrich Posts: 31
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well, chargeback could be another option, but unfortunately it's £10 minimum on MasterCard (no minimum with Visa), and these guys charged me just below that.. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure