Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 17th May 19, 7:57 AM
    • 4,399Posts
    • 3,943Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    Which WiFi Booster ?
    • 17th May 19, 7:57 AM
    Which WiFi Booster ? 17th May 19 at 7:57 AM
    I'm thinking about getting a WiFi booster. Our router is upstairs, it'll be a hassle to move it for a variety of reasons. The WiFi signal downstairs is quite weak, particularly noticeable when watching BBC iPlayer on the TV in the lounge - it often pauses mid-programme and buffers.

Anyhow, I though a WiFi booster may be the answer. Having had a quick look online, there seem to be dozens available, from about £10 to upwards of £100. So a fairly simple question - do they actually work, and do you have any recommendations for a reasonably cheap one that'll do the trick ? If I go for one that's less than about £20 I'm happy to just buy it and see how it goes - but if any of you good folk have a recommendation that would be great. Thanks.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
Page 2
    • Biggus Dickus
    • By Biggus Dickus 21st May 19, 1:28 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Biggus Dickus
    You can of course use a powerline with wifi to hard wire to the TV but act as a hotspot in the room as well.
    Originally posted by Croft12
    Absolutely ,... as the old saying goes “you pays yer money and you takes yer choice”
    • jaybeetoo
    • By jaybeetoo 21st May 19, 3:32 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    jaybeetoo
    I’ve tried different routers, extenders and power line adapters. I finally bit the bullet and installed a BT Whole Home WiFi and it has been great. No more complaints from the family. You switch off the WiFi on your router and just use this.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-whole-home-wi-fi-088269-CDXH.html
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 22nd May 19, 9:22 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    JP1978
    If you do go down the powerline+wifi extender route (which can be a good solution), don't allow the unit to "clone" or "copy" your existing WiFi details (e.g. SSI, password etc). Whilst this can seem a good idea - only having one wifi "network" in the house - in reality what happens is that devices connect to one router (or wifi transmitter, so to speak), and then stay connected to it even if there is another network with the same name with a stronger signal available. You have to turn your device's wifi off and back on again to force a reconnect to the stronger signal router.

This is because the cheap home kit we use for this purpose doesn't have the inbuilt management capabilities to hand off between wifi routers. A mesh network does have this capability, and "pro" routers (such as offices and public spaces use) also do.

So name each router's wifi differently, e.g. "UPSTAIRS" and "DOWNSTAIRS", as it makes it more obvious and a reminder that you need to switch between networks, and guarantees which router you are connecting to (or spend more money and invest in e.g. a mesh network, such as https://store.google.com/product/google_wifi )
    Originally posted by CardinalWolsey
    I have a TP-Link Router (VR900) and two TP-Link powerline extenders (Wi-Fi & Ethernet) - the SSID is the same on all of them and dont have issues with handover to the stronger signal.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

860Posts Today

6,453Users online

Martin's Twitter