Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DIYhelp76
    • By DIYhelp76 20th May 19, 8:58 AM
    • 90Posts
    • 8Thanks
    DIYhelp76
    Windows 7 - free/cheap upgrade to Windows 10?
    • 20th May 19, 8:58 AM
    Windows 7 - free/cheap upgrade to Windows 10? 20th May 19 at 8:58 AM
    Hi

I have Windows 7 Home Premium on a laptop.

Just received message saying support is ending for Windows 7.

What is the cheapest (or free?) way to upgrade to Windows 10?

Also how do I tell if existing laptop specs can handle an upgrade to Windows 10?

Many thx.
Page 1
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 20th May 19, 9:09 AM
    • 1,728 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 20th May 19, 9:09 AM
    • 20th May 19, 9:09 AM
    Upgrade is still free.

The way you upgrade is up to you. Over the top of the old or a clean install.
    Personally, I would take the opportunity to fit an SSD to your device if you haven't done so and clean install Windows 10 Home/Pro to it.

What is the brand and model number of your device?
    • dan958
    • By dan958 21st May 19, 8:35 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    dan958
    • 21st May 19, 8:35 AM
    • 21st May 19, 8:35 AM
    Upgrade is still free.

The way you upgrade is up to you. Over the top of the old or a clean install.
    Personally, I would take the opportunity to fit an SSD to your device if you haven't done so and clean install Windows 10 Home/Pro to it.

What is the brand and model number of your device?
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    With how cheap an SSD is now, and you only need a small sized one for a boot drive (as long as there is space for 2 drives, alternatively, get a bigger SSD). Doing this is also what I would recommend.
    Last edited by dan958; 21-05-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 21st May 19, 10:23 AM
    • 4,132 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 21st May 19, 10:23 AM
    • 21st May 19, 10:23 AM
    Just received message saying support is ending for Windows 7.
    Originally posted by DIYhelp76
    Of-course, there's no panic here. Plenty of time to consider options - and answer everywhere's question.
    An SSD is a great upgrade for aging computers but the cheap ones are quite small. First check how much USED disk space you have. Or more accurately, do a properties of C:\users\yourusername and see how much data you actually have (assuming you keep data under here; you may have data in other places too!)
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • DonnySaver
    • By DonnySaver 21st May 19, 10:57 AM
    • 476 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    DonnySaver
    • 21st May 19, 10:57 AM
    • 21st May 19, 10:57 AM
    Don't move to Windows 10 - it's awful in my opinion. The only stable laptop/PC in our house is one running Windows 7.

If you can afford it, buy a Mac !
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 21st May 19, 11:02 AM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 21st May 19, 11:02 AM
    • 21st May 19, 11:02 AM
    Don't move to Windows 10 - it's awful in my opinion. The only stable laptop/PC in our house is one running Windows 7.

Originally posted by DonnySaver
    Windows 10 is fine. If someone is asking about cheap options then suggesting they spend lots of money on Apple kit isn't really sensible.
  • archived user
    • 21st May 19, 2:37 PM
    • 21st May 19, 2:37 PM
    Of-course, there's no panic here. Plenty of time to consider options - and answer everywhere's question.
    An SSD is a great upgrade for aging computers but the cheap ones are quite small.
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    240GB is hardly small and you can pick that up for 28 from Crucial. And don't forget you have the original HDD to reuse for additional storage.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 21st May 19, 3:21 PM
    • 4,288 Posts
    • 3,785 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 21st May 19, 3:21 PM
    • 21st May 19, 3:21 PM

^^ Worst post ever award goes to this guy - Buy a mac OP is asking for a free/cheap solution
    Last edited by AndyPix; 21-05-2019 at 3:23 PM.
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Jakubk
    • By Jakubk 21st May 19, 4:06 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Jakubk
    • 21st May 19, 4:06 PM
    • 21st May 19, 4:06 PM
    Do not buy a Mac but do not upgrade to Win10 either, I am sticking with Win7 (they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands).

You do need to make sure your Win7 computer is locked down, do not use admin account for everyday use, run virus checks on it with malwarebytes but do not bother putting in AV running all the time unless it is a very fast machine.

The fact is that while MS says support is ending, if anything lethal comes along (like the malware that hit the NHS etc out or North Korea) then they issue a standalone fix.

I have not upgraded my Win7 laptops since 2015 and 2017, no issues so far!
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 21st May 19, 4:44 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    wongataa
    Do not buy a Mac but do not upgrade to Win10 either,
    Originally posted by Jakubk
    Terrible advice.

The fact is that while MS says support is ending, if anything lethal comes along (like the malware that hit the NHS etc out or North Korea) then they issue a standalone fix.
    Originally posted by Jakubk
    That is not guaranteed at all.
    • DonnySaver
    • By DonnySaver 22nd May 19, 7:38 AM
    • 476 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    DonnySaver
    ^^ Worst post ever award goes to this guy - Buy a mac OP is asking for a free/cheap solution
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Who said it was cheap? I didn't say that. I said "if you can afford it".

Windows 10 has caused me hours of pain since I upgraded to it. Had at least 2 very lengthy sessions with MS to try and fix stuff that Windows 10 updates caused. Ended up totally re-installing Windows each time.

Problems with Windows 7 machine = None.

I would NEVER buy another MS machine again. IF I could it afford I would buy a Mac....but I can't so I'm stuck with my crap Windows 10 machine for now.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 22nd May 19, 8:05 AM
    • 4,288 Posts
    • 3,785 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Windows 10 is great . Your skill level must be sub par.

You should have come on here and asked for advice - you certainly wouldnt have wasted as much time as you indicate you did with microsofts droids ..

And no you didnt say it was cheap .. But if the OP is asking for a cheap solution to their problem, do you really think 'buy a mac' is sensible advice ??..

I agree with you , windows 7 was great .. But it is a bit tired now and windows 10 is a great replacement IMHO .. I am responsible for a LOT of machines, running various OS flavours ..
    Windows 10 is my favourite .. If i could change one thing, I would stop it mysteriously changing default apps back to microsofts own 'because of a problem' (yeah right) now and again ..

But that is no biggy, just an annoyance
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 22nd May 19, 9:12 AM
    • 2,673 Posts
    • 2,312 Thanks
    giraffe69
    Can't work out why some get so upset with Windows 10. It is not perfect and there have been some problems especially with updates however I suspect there are some who have forgotten what Win 7 could do or not do and in any event there comes a time when technology moves on. You can ignore it but any computer attached to the internet after early 2020 running Win 7 will be more at risk than before and this will get worse as time goes on. In due course some new peripherals may not have the appropriate drivers to make them work/work at their best.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 22nd May 19, 9:32 AM
    • 4,980 Posts
    • 4,679 Thanks
    dekaspace

Windows 10 has caused me hours of pain since I upgraded to it. Had at least 2 very lengthy sessions with MS to try and fix stuff that Windows 10 updates caused. Ended up totally re-installing Windows each time.

I would NEVER buy another MS machine again. IF I could it afford I would buy a Mac....but I can't so I'm stuck with my crap Windows 10 machine for now.

You do realise macs are pc's as well don't you? If 10 is so bad assuming you have compatable hardware put 7 or 8 on it.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 22nd May 19, 11:30 AM
    • 20,748 Posts
    • 15,014 Thanks
    molerat
    I have upgraded 10 family machines to W10, from XP, Vista and W7, with very few problems. 6 of these machines are from 2007- 10 so hardly the latest.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • randm
    • By randm 13th Jun 19, 12:55 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    randm
    i have a similar question, i went from xp, to windows 7, so our pc is quite old, microsoft is not recommending loading windows 10 onto an old computer but says it is better on a new pc, is this just a marketing ploy??. i mainly use tablet for surfing and gaming but ethernet pc for buying/personal information stuff etc for security.
    also, i have read the above replies, can i ask what you do with the ssd. are you saying to load windows 10 onto that and then from there onto the pc??? sorry, really not a techie person.(i am presuming that a ssd is a usb data key thingumyjig). we do have an external harddrive.
    thanks for your help.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 13th Jun 19, 1:42 PM
    • 1,728 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    i have a similar question, i went from xp, to windows 7, so our pc is quite old, microsoft is not recommending loading windows 10 onto an old computer but says it is better on a new pc, is this just a marketing ploy??. i mainly use tablet for surfing and gaming but ethernet pc for buying/personal information stuff etc for security.
    also, i have read the above replies, can i ask what you do with the ssd. are you saying to load windows 10 onto that and then from there onto the pc??? sorry, really not a techie person.(i am presuming that a ssd is a usb data key thingumyjig). we do have an external harddrive.
    thanks for your help.
    Originally posted by randm
    You fit or swap your old HDD for an SSD(costing as little as 17) and then install Windows 10 to it.

What brand name and model your PC?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 13th Jun 19, 1:47 PM
    • 34,506 Posts
    • 29,251 Thanks
    custardy

Installed 8 &10 on multiple machines from 7.
    no issues and shown little love or maintenance
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 13th Jun 19, 2:10 PM
    • 4,288 Posts
    • 3,785 Thanks
    AndyPix
    An SSD is a replacement for your internal hard drive.

It stands for Solid State Drive, there are no moving parts, only microchips
    They are much much faster than conventional hard drives
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Jun 19, 2:48 PM
    • 29,148 Posts
    • 11,961 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Windows 10 is fine with classic start menu installed and updates blocked.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

116Posts Today

2,177Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin