Court awards Santander

Hi all

Please can someone give me advice

I was trying to get bank charges recovered from Santander, however a county court ruled that it was statute barred as it was over 6 years ago. It awarded that I have to pay Santanders legal costs which they say are £1490. I cannot afford to pay this. Can someone please advise me of my options.

Thanks for your time

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Agree a payment plan with them.

Have to ask, what were you thinking.....the banks won the bank charges case years ago.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,347 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I was trying to get bank charges recovered from Santander,

On what basis?
    however a county court ruled that it was statute barred as it was over 6 years ago.

it could also have arrived at that decision after the banks won the high court case in 2009.
    t awarded that I have to pay Santanders legal costs which they say are £1490. I cannot afford to pay this.

What on earth possessed you to take Santander to court on something that was already ruled in 2009? This outcome was highly predictable. And if you dont have the money, it was foolish thing to do. It was foolish even if you had the money.

Did your solicitor not warn you of the risks and consequences? (you may have a case against thm if not)
    Can someone please advise me of my options.

Agree on a payment plan with them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,800 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Paging Brown

This is what happens when you try and take banks to court for old fees and the bank decides to fight it. Still want to personally indemnify people over old charges?
  • brown1950
    brown1950 Posts: 264 Forumite
    Oh Dear why involve me in bank charges when clearly the UK Banks won in the Supreme Court ?
    Any court action involving bank charges will fail however on this site certain posters think credit
    card charges are also somehow linked into the Banks Supreme Court win which they are clearly not.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,800 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    brown1950 wrote: »
    Oh Dear why involve me in bank charges when clearly the UK Banks won in the Supreme Court ?
    Any court action involving bank charges will fail however on this site certain posters think credit
    card charges are also somehow linked into the Banks Supreme Court win which they are clearly not.

1) Your credit card "reclaiming" is based on threatening to take banks to court. This is what happens when banks don't fold but actually fight it. Your credit card case could easily seen this happen
    2) Precedent. I suggest you look up how the law works
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport