Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ~ Daisy ~
    • By ~ Daisy ~ 6th Jan 19, 7:06 PM
    • 48Posts
    • 53Thanks
    ~ Daisy ~
    To raw feed or not to raw feed?
    • 6th Jan 19, 7:06 PM
    To raw feed or not to raw feed? 6th Jan 19 at 7:06 PM
    We have a 3 year old Spaniel, Mum was Sprocker, dad full ESS. Beautiful, well behaved, and above all healthy and loved . I frequent several Spaniel forum/ facebook groups and almost all answers to almost all questions are raw feed them....

I do understand that a dogs diet is paramount to its wellbeing, I too offer/give fresh/cooked veggies as well as fish and chicken to supplement her dried food. I have been thinking of moving towards a raw diet but am not sure if it will have any benefit to her over all health.

Daisy.
Page 3
    • HClements
    • By HClements 7th May 19, 4:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HClements
    Also caught up in TB cases....
    I was also going to move to a raw diet for two adopted kittens - but that all came to a halt when they were diagnosed with bovine TB. They were rescued from a multiple cat household, along with 13 other cats (including their siblings and mum) and we were told that they'd recovered from feline flu at the time of adoption.

We lost one of the kittens after four months and our remaining kitten (now 1yr+) is the only one alive of the initial 15 - as others have died from active TB or been put down due to testing positive. Our cat is only alive because we refused to put him down and committed to a regime of three antibiotics every day for the past six months.

I can't describe how horrendous it is to watch a kitten/cat slowly starve and cough themselves to death, until their breathing is so laboured they can no longer sleep. As someone who's kept cats for her whole life, it was the most distressing thing I've ever experienced and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I also wouldn't wish the bungling vets (although we eventually got an amazing vet who has helped us save the others life and seen us through it all) or incompetent DEFRA on anyone. Having just put down a kitten I'll never forget being told the next day on the phone that DEFRA don't know how to handle the body for official TB testing, and whilst there are instructions for dealing with a camels body - there's nothing about cats!!!

Investigations are still ongoing to see if their infection came from raw food, but it's looking very likely that it's linked to the other cases.

I am telling everyone I can that for the moment it's just not safe to feed your cats raw - unless where you're buying it from can prove that every single carcass used has been tested for TB. It saddens me as I can clearly see the benefits of feeding raw - but whilst there's no vaccine for cats and whilst DEFRA and the veterinary and rescue community are so entirely clueless on the subject, I just wouldn't take the risk.

I would love to hear from anyone else caught up in this - as we've been left feeling entirely isolated by the experience.
    • ka7e
    • By ka7e 7th May 19, 9:12 PM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 1,947 Thanks
    ka7e
    The 5 cases of cats (as at Dec18) diagnosed with intestinal TB had all been fed on the same commercial frozen raw food.

In contrast, the BVA has published a paper that states "Over 1 per cent of all routine histopathological submissions from UK cats are found to have changes consistent with mycobacteriosis, which is thought to be an underestimate of the true prevalence"

Mycobacteria in cats: an update
    Conor O'Halloran and Danielle Gunn-Moore
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

297Posts Today

4,223Users online

Martin's Twitter