Boffins uncover secrets of yellow-sticker shopping success - MSE News

Supermarket bargain-hunters require a unique set of "skills and knowledge" spanning both shopping and cooking to truly make the most of yellow-sticker discounts, according to a group of academics who analysed nearly a thousand MoneySavingExpert.com forum posts...
Read the full story:
'Boffins uncover secrets of yellow-sticker shopping success'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,059
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Forumite
    Don't forget freezer space, the only thing that prevents me making the most of YS bargains
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    maisie_cat wrote: »
    Don't forget freezer space, the only thing that prevents me making the most of YS bargains

Do what I did and get an extra freezer, my YS hunting/savings paid for the new freezer in less than 5 months :T
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The "academics" are proving as usual they might be bright in academia studies but lack common sense and street savvy.

They basically concluded they have no idea in their findings. What a waste of time. About as useful to the world as other notable "academics" degree study casework, like "why do cornflakes go soggy in milk" (i'm not joking, they did do such "research" and other such things!). Good use for university money and a positive benefit to a future employer they are! lol

Here are some other worthless studies, just the tip of the icebrug: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/275060

Yellow stickers are (I might be wrong) the colour Asda use (and red ones for damaged packaged items), some other supermarkets use red; so "discounted on the day stickers" would be more accurate a description.
  • theblagger
    theblagger Posts: 2,027
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Bacman wrote: »
    The "academics" are proving as usual they might be bright in academia studies but lack common sense and street savvy.

They basically concluded they have no idea in their findings. What a waste of time. About as useful to the world as other notable "academics" degree study casework, like "why do cornflakes go soggy in milk" (i'm not joking, they did do such "research" and other such things!). Good use for university money and a positive benefit to a future employer they are! lol

Yes...seems like they studied at STBO
    (State the bleeding obvious)

Here are some other worthless studies, just the tip of the icebrug: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/275060

Yellow stickers are (I might be wrong) the colour Asda use (and red ones for damaged packaged items), some other supermarkets use red; so "discounted on the day stickers" would be more accurate a description.

Nearly all supermarkets use yellow stickers...
    The Tesco nearer where i live was up to a year ago very lively on reductions...remember a Tesco employee standing there waving a shelf stacker stool shouting back back to a angry mob trying to get at the reduction trolley!!!, like a lion tamer...in a tescos!!...now its more pleasant , as its not reduced much and goods/Food are left on the shelf
    I refer to my byline below ...

Ad hominem
    An attack upon an opponent in order to discredit their arguement or opinion. Ad hominems are used by immature and/or unintelligent people because they are unable to counter their opponent using logic and intelligence.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,450
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    theblagger wrote: »
    Nearly all supermarkets use yellow stickers...
    The Tesco nearer where i live was up to a year ago very lively on reductions...remember a Tesco employee standing there waving a shelf stacker stool shouting back back to a angry mob trying to get at the reduction trolley!!!, like a lion tamer...in a tescos!!...now its more pleasant , as its not reduced much and goods/Food are left on the shelf

Lidl use orange, I believe Aldi ones are red too :)
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I remember when I moved to my current town, going into local Asda one day and these foreign people were there (relevant as people tried saying excuse me but the people didn't understand due to lack of English) they shoved 2 trolleys at the reduced section and took things out of the staff members hands despite people patiently queueing up, they knew this as the one person who was filling 2 trolleys for him and his friends saw people looking and gave a blank look, he got about 15-20 steaks reduced from £10 to 50p, filled up both trolleys with reduced stuff and the patient other people left with nothing!

When I go I do tend to take a lot but if I see someone behind me I ask if they want some of the items, I also stand back from staff when they are reducing and talk to them and ask if its ok to take the item they have just labelled.

Do remember one food store though where the guy there was a miserable sort, really snooty and I remember standing back and waiting for him to reduce for 10 minutes as I didn't want to shove, then a woman arrived with a trolley with about 20 whole chickens in, and he asked her if she wanted ALL the pizzas he just reduced and she said yes, she can use them for her grandkids, so me with a empty basket who waited 10 minutes got ignored and I felt annoyed as it felt like he was calling me greedy when I had nothing, at same place there was a guy who shoved in front of people and went in daily, even smarmily saying "first come first served" when I picked up something first once he tutted at me and moaned I took everything "2 packs of chicken" I turned to him and said "first come first served"

People can be so greedy.
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I've not done this but if people are being bullish and taking all the discounted stuff as stated above, ie loads; bear in mind legally because the items are in their basket does not mean they own it or have right to it; the trolley is the supermarket's and not the shoppers and the items are not theirs until the items are paid for, putting items in your trolley is an intention to buy not ownership as it is still the property of the supermarket at that stage. So, in other words if someone is really taking liberties, why not follow them around the store and remove some of the discounted items from their trolley when they aren't looking - it isn't theft as at that point they do not own the items, only "reserved" them with intent to buy. Just don't get noticed!
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,257
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I can tell you why people buy yellow stickered food without doing any research.* Does that make me cleverer than the boffins?

I hate the plague of locusts you get when the staff start reducing stuff. My OH loves buying YSF but doesn't always have a plan for it, he bought a pheasant half price a few days ago, just before it's use by date. It's still sitting in the fridge and both freezers are full.

* It's to save money :rotfl:
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,523
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 November 2018 at 8:29AM
    Do they mention having no shame at all while you body slam everyone else out of the way to get to the 10p courgettes?
    Having seen the treatment given to the poor staff and security having to get involved, I've decided I don't want to be involved in that sort of behaviour.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • I've noticed that old folk suddenly develop the ability to shift themselves quickly when the prices get reduced.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure