Student accommodation: which of these saves you the most money?

13»

Comments

• House / flat specifically bought for you by your parents
    I think, if you got house where you can live. You will save as much money as you can...
  • I go to uni in London and lived in halls for my first year and then moved into a houseshare because the rent was lower however I actually end up spending up more once travel is factored in. The halls were in a really central location and I could walk/cycle to lectures but to find an affordable houseshare I had to be a long tube journey away, which quickly adds up to £100+ a month.

I don't think you can really generalise on which would cost more overall as it also depends on facilities. I probably spent more on food in halls as the cooking facilities weren't great and it was harder to make things from scratch (had to rely more on ready meals etc.) but I saved money on travel and gym membership as the halls had a couple of pieces of accessible gym equipment.

If I was making the decision again I would look not just at rent but at all the main expenses you'll have and how each would be affected by where you chose to live.
  • Stay home with parents is the best option
  • Stay at home with parents
    One thing to think about is that though sometimes halls are slightly more expensive, you are paying for much more than just the room and facilities. They're often well located, and have an aspect of support (security, wardens, live-in tutors etc) that are useful as a fresher. Most of all, it's the personal relationships you build with people - the ability to have a large pool to make friends with so then you can move out to a shared house the year after with the friends you've met and got along with during halls.
    If living with parents is not an option is a private rented student flat the best option?
  • Student house / flat rented privately
    Although staying at home with parents is a good option. Sometimes it gets tough when parents bug me with house chores and I may not have enough time to study. So it comes with its own cons.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    PaidPoints wrote: »
    Although staying at home with parents is a good option. Sometimes it gets tough when parents bug me with house chores and I may not have enough time to study. So it comes with its own cons.

But you would still have all those same chores (plus many more) if you live away from home.

Or you'll live in a rubbish dump.
    Stay home with parents is the best option when university is located in the same city! But when university is located in another city then flat found through the university is best!
    This is certainly true if you're living in a rather expensive city such as London where most of my friends often commuted in order to avoid the high cost of housing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure