The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

help with free bus pass rules

I want to use the York to Helmsley bus service using my bus pass.
There are only a couple of services per day and the one I prefer leaves at 9.28 am from York rail station. The next one is in the afternoon and too late for me to use
I believe that all bus passes can only be used at non peak periods from 9.30 am onwards so
will the bus driver charge me full fare for the quite long and slow journey to Helmsley ? Or would he just take a charge for to the next stop down the line where I would then be eligible for the 9.30 am free bus pass from then on all the way to Helmsley
I have had a bus pass for a few years but have n`t used it much so I m not familiar with the rules

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,050
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    He should charge you the full fare.

I have a similar timing for a bus so I walk to the next stop and use my pass from there
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Thanks Robin, I thought he might. I`ll walk 10 minutes onto the next stop. Its quite a pricey journey I would have thought as it takes over 2 hours .
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd have thought you should be able to buy a ticket to the next stop, then get off and back on again.
    Stompa
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Which local authority issued your pass? If it's a North Yorks one then according to this site you can use it from 9:00 onwards
    https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/senior-persons-bus-pass

If it's an out of area pass then you can use it after 9:30 so you would just need to buy a ticket from where you get on to the first stop due after then. No need to get off and back on again. But chances are the driver will let you go for free anyway if there's not another bus for a while.

Round our way bus pass users are known as twirlies, because they get on at 9:29 and ask 'am I too early?'
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,194
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As has been said some local authorities are more generous letting you use tickets earlier than the national time and in London it can be used 24 hours a day.

My local authority used to allow tickets from 09.00 and the ticket machines gave two or three minutes grace - if the machine accepted the card, drivers would let you on.

If the driver won't let you on offer to buy a ticket to the first stop and then present the card. I've found that sometimes drivers just wave you on and say to touch the card later, especially if there is a line of similarly aged people waiting to get on.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    martindow wrote: »
    sometimes drivers just wave you on and say to touch the card later, especially if there is a line of similarly aged people waiting to get on.

That would be shamefully dishonest. Might I also suggest that that is the reason there are only 'a couple of services a day'.
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,325
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 17 June 2019 at 8:42PM
    If it is a York City issued pass you can use it from 9.00am
    https://www.york.gov.uk/info/20103/travel_passes_and_concession/1486/older_persons_bus_pass

In fact, I think this indicates that in the York area an English bus pass issued anywhere is valid from 9.00am.
    This is also true in North Yorkshire, but not in West Yorkshire where 9.30am is the start time.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,615
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    If it is a York City issued pass you can use it from 9.00am
    https://www.york.gov.uk/info/20103/travel_passes_and_concession/1486/older_persons_bus_pass

In fact, I think this indicates that in the York area an English bus pass issued anywhere is valid from 9.00am.
    This is also true in North Yorkshire, but not in West Yorkshire where 9.30am is the start time.

You're reading more into the information given than is there. The Monday to Friday from 0900 refers to passes issued by that council only, and only for use in their own area, similarly with the before 0600 relaxation.

Use of any concessionary bus pass in other areas is always after 0930, simply because it is the local councils that are giving and paying for additional perks for their residents
  • harz99
    Forumite
    Robin9 wrote: »
    He should charge you the full fare.

I have a similar timing for a bus so I walk to the next stop and use my pass from there

No, the driver should inform you the pass isn't valid until 0930, and offer you a fare to the stop at which the bus arrives at 0930 or just after, or waiting for a later service. Split ticketing in that way is perfectly valid and legal as long as you are on a local bus service.
  • harz99
    Forumite
    edited 17 June 2019 at 10:06PM
    Houbara wrote: »
    Thanks Robin, I thought he might. I`ll walk 10 minutes onto the next stop. Its quite a pricey journey I would have thought as it takes over 2 hours .

Where do you get over 2 hours from? 0928 departing arriving Helmsley 1052 according to the operator Reliance Buses, if you aren't already, you should be aware that due to this route being built around a schools service, on non school days Mondays to Fridays, the Saturday timings operate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure