JKenH wrote: »
    It's all in the signature :)

doh - thanks :):):)
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,600
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    1961Nick wrote: »
    The larger output would be fine with a smart thermostat that works properly.

Thanks - I'll do some digging and see what I can find. Thinking about it, I had a wireless programmable thermostat that was smart in the last house and that worked really well with a laggy central heating system, so that might be an option if the unit itself doesn't have one. I'm hoping to find a pre-charged / easy-fit unit that I can install myself as it should be a simple installation.
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,743
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 April 2019 at 10:06AM
    mmmmikey wrote: »
    Thanks - I'll do some digging and see what I can find. Thinking about it, I had a wireless programmable thermostat that was smart in the last house and that worked really well with a laggy central heating system, so that might be an option if the unit itself doesn't have one. I'm hoping to find a pre-charged / easy-fit unit that I can install myself as it should be a simple installation.

I am sure that would be possible if you are good at diy but having watched a couple of installations at my house I am pleased I left it to the experts. The second one was done as a job on the side by the guy who installed the first one on behalf of his employer. (To some people that might not seem too ethical and I am still feeling a bit guilty about it.)

One downside of that is the unit itself and all the incidental wiring, piping, trunking and brackets attract VAT at 20% rather than 5% from an accredited installer. The second issue with a self install is what if it doesn’t quite work as it should? My second brand new Mitsubishi unit has developed an intermittent rattle (think tappets sort of noise) on the outside unit which, while not affecting enjoyment on the inside, would be a pain if sitting out in summer.

My “on the side” installer has been out once when of course it ran perfectly quietly but the noise has come back and I imagine it could take a while to resolve. I am pretty sure the problem is within the manufactured unit rather than the installation but if I was a diyer I could be faced with a return to base exchange which would involve a fair bit of extra hassle.

I know this is a money saving forum but I would recommend a professional install.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,600
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    JKenH wrote: »
    but I would recommend a professional install.

Thanks, good advice I'm sure. I have actually decided to go ahead with the DIY route, but your post prompted me to check that the friend-of-a-friend who used to work as an aircon engineer will come and help if I get stuck :)

Having realised that I have far more choice if I get a standard high-wall unit, I've managed to rearrange the bedroom to make this an option. Will place the order in the morning, hopefully for delivery and installtiaon next week.
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,045
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    mmmmikey wrote: »
    Thanks, good advice I'm sure. I have actually decided to go ahead with the DIY route, but your post prompted me to check that the friend-of-a-friend who used to work as an aircon engineer will come and help if I get stuck :)

Having realised that I have far more choice if I get a standard high-wall unit, I've managed to rearrange the bedroom to make this an option. Will place the order in the morning, hopefully for delivery and installtiaon next week.

Going with a overhead wall unit is a wise decision if you can get it to fit.

If you can get hold of that aircon engineer & he still his kit, it might be worthwhile getting him to vac your pipes before you release the gas. The less air in the system the better & you'd also get a leak test. Just a consideration but not essential.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure