Money Moral Dilemma: Should I start spending more to go plastic-free?

13»

Comments

• Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    jwil wrote: »
    No it's not incorrect. Plastic is recycled into new bottles and food grade packaging. Coca cola use rPET in their bottles as do many other companies including M&S. Milk bottles are HDPE and again contain recycled milk bottles in their content - they are aiming for 50% rHDPE by 2020. The plastic packaging tax mentioned above is for packaging that contains less than 30% recycled content. It aims to stimulate the recycling markets and make recycled plastic more competitively priced compared to virgin plastic - which has been part of the issue - it's cheaper to use virgin material than recycled.

I agree that plastic is not infinitely recyclable, and I agree about microfibre shedding. Clothing is another big environmental issue.

Not everyone can shop daily. It's not 'laziness'. Food waste is a massive problem, bigger than plastic. Most food is wasted before it gets to the consumer. Plastic packaging helps reduce that. There are definitely some things that should not be packaged, but some do need it.

Pre-prepped veg is also not always 'laziness'. Some people have health issues and disabilities which mean they cannot prep veg themselves.

Glass is infinitely recyclable (as is metal), but it is very heavy so produces a great deal more transport carbon emissions than plastic. Like my original post said - there is no simple answer. We need to look at the whole life cycle of products to see what the solution is, not just focus on what it's made of.

No, there is no simple answer to the complexities of the system that humans have created, unless people accept that they need to live a simpler, more responsible life.

Whilst some people (very few) may rely on chopped veg in plastic, that cannot be a good enough argument for the many. And sadly it is laziness, on one level of another and greed that causes the problems we have in our society, whether on the personal level or corporate.

Unfortunately you are incorrect, though you're very good at making your information look and sound convincing. A PET plastic bottle can only be recycled 7-9 times and it can only be turned back into more plastic bottles, if virgin plastic is added to the mix. Once it is degraded after 7-9 uses, then it goes to landfill. Plastic is formed of polymer chains and they degrade every time it is recycled or reprocessed. Glass is infinitely recyclable.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/how-many-times-can-one-plastic-bottle-be-recycled_uk_5bc9b98be4b0d38b58771df3?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAABo_MhR9qZJi-wIlayDIXeUbxzm1xaASqnmmg8roLvs34Ln1m8IUX_0wDAZDnOLL1Ja0sMvV2LWGdCoCK9N1pb-YprFiIyCVuMa853-gCdmjaECHovZfHghuBgLzoJpDi5pQMUYFlZoYrZ3_ceT3F0YvEHN9uwqda0Hw6QOSqwI_
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,065 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    No, there is no simple answer to the complexities of the system that humans have created, unless people accept that they need to live a simpler, more responsible life.

Whilst some people (very few) may rely on chopped veg in plastic, that cannot be a good enough argument for the many. And sadly it is laziness, on one level of another and greed that causes the problems we have in our society, whether on the personal level or corporate.

Unfortunately you are incorrect, though you're very good at making your information look and sound convincing. A PET plastic bottle can only be recycled 7-9 times and it can only be turned back into more plastic bottles, if virgin plastic is added to the mix. Once it is degraded after 7-9 uses, then it goes to landfill. Plastic is formed of polymer chains and they degrade every time it is recycled or reprocessed. Glass is infinitely recyclable.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/how-many-times-can-one-plastic-bottle-be-recycled_uk_5bc9b98be4b0d38b58771df3?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAABo_MhR9qZJi-wIlayDIXeUbxzm1xaASqnmmg8roLvs34Ln1m8IUX_0wDAZDnOLL1Ja0sMvV2LWGdCoCK9N1pb-YprFiIyCVuMa853-gCdmjaECHovZfHghuBgLzoJpDi5pQMUYFlZoYrZ3_ceT3F0YvEHN9uwqda0Hw6QOSqwI_

I wasn't disputing the fact that plastic is not infinitely recyclable, I said I agreed with you. Paper and cardboard are the same, they can only be recycled a few times as the quality is reduced each time. I disputed the fact that plastic cannot be made into anything other than clothing. It can and is made into food grade packaging, albeit mixed with virgin material.

I agree with you about downgrading not being ideal. There is a big move towards companies offering collection facilities for non recyclable stuff like crisp packets, baby food pouches, etc etc through Terracycle. People have to get them to the collection points themselves. Terracycle then 'recycle' these items into things like plastic benches. The benches at the end of their lives are not recyclable. Is that truly sustainable? Do people drive to collection points with half a dozen crisp packets? The packets then have to be transported to the central collection point and then the reprocessor. That can't add up environmentally. Companies should be developing truly sustainable packaging, not using this as an example to put it off. The stuff in the government's strategy might help this in the future.https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/resources-and-waste-strategy-for-england

Glass is infinitely recyclable, but that doesn't automatically make it a better choice. It comes with a carbon cost associated with increased transport emissions. Which is the lesser of two evils? This article by FoE seems to be reasonably balanced and they come out in favour of glass https://friendsoftheearth.uk/plastics/plastic-or-glass-milk-bottles-crate-expectations

I'm not trying to make my information sound convincing, I do my research and look at things from both sides. It's my job to do so. I try and post things evidence of what I'm saying, rather than just posting randomly without backing it up. My opinions are my opinions and there will be stuff out there that agrees with me, there will be stuff that doesn't. People should do their own research looking at arguments from both sides. Perhaps a link I post helps them look into it more and gives a starting point.

I fully agree we need to live a simpler life with less consumption and less waste. It's not always easy and even small steps will help. It's just important to be aware of unintended consequences and make an informed choice.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It's very much YOUR choice and will probably depend a great deal on your financial situation and availability of alternatives, as well as your conscience.
    Personally, I am happy to recycle my plastic as I believe that a great deal of progress is being made in finding ways of re-using it - and even in breaking it down into it's basic, manufacturing form.

So, I can only say that I think you pays your money and you makes your choice - according to your personal views and situation.
  • Yes. What's the point of having money if there's no planet to live on?
    I'm broke, not poor. Poor sounds permanent, broke can be fixed. (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
    LBM June 2009, Debt Free (except mortgage) Sept 2016 - DONE IT!
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It's a sad fact that our government has done nothing about this issue - plenty of debates, discussions and proposals, but nothing constructive or useful has come of them while politicians busy themselves feathering their own nests.

As local authorities are powerless to resist the onslaught, consumers are left with very little choice other than to pay more for less, because even the manufacturers can't be bothered to change their raw materials in their quest to pay Directors bigger salaries.

Ultimately, campaigns are the only way to go. I don't know your gender but, if you're female, the Womens Institute is a powerful lobbyist, so you could start something there. Tackling the manufacturers is a waste of time, as they'll find any reason they can not to do anything that will affect their profits.

I'm of an age that remembers fish and chips in newspaper, crisps in greaseproof paper bags and all soft drinks in glass bottles. None of us caught some disease, and it's a pity we can't get back to those days when there was far less waste, and far less litter on pavements, in hedgerows and public places.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure