Export Meter/No Export Meter?

Which get's most cashback?

Given that I'm in all day and am running a marine fish & coral aquarium 24/7 the panels will be using at least some energy all the time they are running. Of course there's the usual day to day utilities being used where time of day habits can be altered.

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on which gives you the best return on your investment. I'm curious of other people's thoughts for a 4kW installation.

Comments

• chamelion
    chamelion Posts: 473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    chaoszone wrote: »
    Which get's most cashback?

Given that I'm in all day and am running a marine fish & coral aquarium 24/7 the panels will be using at least some energy all the time they are running. Of course there's the usual day to day utilities being used where time of day habits can be altered.

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on which gives you the best return on your investment. I'm curious of other people's thoughts for a 4kW installation.

i've opted for no export meter. I used 84% of what i generated in 2017, which means i'd have made less if i had an export meter.

depends on how much of your energy you use... if <50%, export meter may make sense.
    5.41 kWp System, E-W. Installed Nov 2017
    Lux + 3 x US2000B + 2 x US3000C battery storage. Installed Mar 2020.
  • mgbond
    mgbond Posts: 86 Forumite
    Same question kind of.
    If I decide to fit a battery then should I not have a smart meter fitted?
    6kWp system, 20 x 300W Longi Solar panels with a Solis 6.0 inverter + Wifi and iBoost
    22deg pitch East to west 12 panels on the East and 8 on the West
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OVO dictates that customers with smart meters must be subject to export metering. It acts to my disadvantage since I use 80% of my generated electricity. I had not contemplated this action when OVO installed the meter. The difference in money terms is not vast.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure