MSE News: Millions with basic bank accounts...

Comments

• Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Much as I enjoy a bit of bank bashing as much as the next man, seems to me this is a problem created by the pump operators not updating their systems to meet the (not so) new requirements.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,532
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    At the risk of sounding like let them eat cake, can't you pay at the kiosk if your card won't work at the pump? Surely the whole point of a basic account is to prevent you overspending?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    jimjames wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding like let them eat cake, can't you pay at the kiosk if your card won't work at the pump? Surely the whole point of a basic account is to prevent you overspending?

Often the PATP is used out of kiosk hours, I always pay at the kiosk where possible, that said I pay with CC that a settle as the statement appears online.
  • jimjames wrote: »

I'm slightly surprised that all fuel outlets haven't switched to pay at pump only. If a debit or credit card is declined before even any fuel is dispensed, then the only other option should be that any person wanting fuel should go to the kiosk if they have physical cash on them and if for example they need £20 worth of fuel, the operator authorises the pump for that amount, takes the cash in advance issuing a receipt and then the person takes the fuel from the authorised dispensing pump. If you don't have the physical means to pay for what you want, or your account doesn't satisfy in advance particular transactions because of the type of account it is, you shouldn't be able to purchase. That sounds harsh, but there it is.

I used to have a basic bank account with Halifax a few years ago, even though I didn't need it, I only got it for the Electron card and I never had a problem with it. I eventually switched the account to another bank and earned £125 for doing so. I bet I couldn't do that now with a basic bank account.
  • tony541 wrote: »
    If my bank did this to me I would close my account with them. The bankashould be fined for this action, one would think it is their money they are trying to protect. If they think their customers are uncredit worthy they should say so instead of letting many people down in this uncaring way, bloody vermin that they are.:beer:
    As above, though, these are customers that the banks really don’t want. If you’re a basic account holder then the bank will probably give a sigh of relief if you close it rather than shed a tear.

I’d prefer if banks could just decline the customers that they don’t want to serve.
  • The banks are doing their customers a favour. It is quite clear from someone I know that there are plenty of ways to accidentally go overdrawn even on a basic account. Blocking an obvious way of going overdrawn - potentially deliberately - makes sense.

The solution is not to berate the banks but question why so many people haven't been helped to understand the cost of living on credit in a buy now, think later, regret sooner society.
  • I've never understood why there isn't an option to prepay a set amount before filling. This would remove the potential for overspending and also stop people driving off without paying?
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Peanuckle wrote: »
    I've never understood why there isn't an option to prepay a set amount before filling. This would remove the potential for overspending and also stop people driving off without paying?
    Essentially that is the point of the pump upgrades. In the States it is pretty common.
  • Starling Bank customers will also be affected. I have just found out via their online chat
  • pje
    pje Posts: 27
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Asda filling stations are blocking their own Asda credit card, so it would appear that banking limits have little to do with it.
    My card has no balance on it, so it has nothing to with card limits either.
    Seems to be more to do with incompetence!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure