Wedding Marquee- How Much To Expect To Spend?

Options
Hi Money Savers,

Partner and I are getting married next year. We've had a few quotes for marquees, tents etc. but honestly I'm just not sure how much is 'reasonable' to spend on a marquee. At the moment it's coming out as the biggest expenditure- is this right?! We've got around 100 people to protect from the elements.

I would really appreciate any advice or shared experiences.

Thanks!

Comments

• Keen_Young_Learner
    Options
    Hiya BangBangBoom,

I've been struggling with a similar question! I put my details into one of those websites to get loads of quotes and prices varied massively. I got the shock of my life when I opened the first one: £2500. Thought "right, that's it, we can't have a marquee"... But then the next one was £1000, and we had another quote for £580. Prices seem to vary massively and I can't see much difference between the marquees themselves or the services provided. For me I think it came down to the distance the marquee would have to travel to my wedding venue.

It is my second biggest expenditure after food which I'm a bit annoyed about (since for me it's just a back up in case it rains!) but when you think what some people spend on venues - like posh country house hotels for thousands and thousands of pounds - you can justify the cost for a blank slate that you can really make your own :)

Are you going to decorate it yourself? What are your plans for that?

KYLx
  • cashewnut
    Options
    Don't forget toilets! My cousin hired portable toilets (quite fancy ones - that were nicely decorated inside and had music playing) to go with her marquee and they were £500.
  • BangBangBoom
    Options
    Phew. Relieved to hear it's not just me finding the cost a little overwhelming!

We are planning a reception in the village hall/field attached. Unfortunately the village hall isn't big enough to seat everyone as well as a dance floor... plus the other half doesn't like to look of the hall (money saving goes out the window! :))

We'd been quoted just over £3000 for what we need, have looked at it again and are considering other providers, looks like we could save £500 - 800. It's just shocking how the price goes up (VAT!)!

Definitely decorating ourselves, luckily lots of friends have gone before us so can borrow bits and bobs. We're doing a church wedding, hog roast buffet, our own drinks so marquee is easily our biggest expenditure- it just doesn't quite sit right with us... but I guess it costs what it costs, especially if we want 100+ guests for. Also, keep reminding ourselves how much nearest and dearest have paid per head for theirs (extortionate prices!)

Luckily cashewnut we have the village hall as well which has toilets in, otherwise I can imagine that'd be an extra £300+....

Happy days none the less. I'd love to hear what everyone else is doing x
  • firebird082
    Options
    We are planning a reception in the village hall/field attached. Unfortunately the village hall isn't big enough to seat everyone as well as a dance floor... plus the other half doesn't like to look of the hall (money saving goes out the window! :))

Is the dancefloor needed at the same time as everyone is going to be seated? We used the same (inside, village hall) space for both, and had outside space plus inside bar for everyone to use in the intervening time - worked like a charm.
  • Chrissie24
    Chrissie24 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    We have spent about £900 on a marquee so they can be expensive
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business