Bought Stolen Car in Good Faith - what options I have? Pls help

tirfk
tirfk Posts: 5 Forumite
Hello there
I wish if someone can give me some advice. I purchased a stolen car in good faith only to be told y police a week later that its stolen and they handed over the car to insurance company who paid off to the original owner.
HPI wont cover me as its cloned car and the fact I paid in cash.
My insurance still weighing options. Police still investigating to find the fraudster.
I asked the insurance company who is the real owner of the car to sell it to me. They have quoted me almost the market price. I have lost a big chunk and they asking even bigger amount than that. I think the insurance company is playing a trick thinking am desperate to get the car but not at such a huge price tag.
Anyone can give some constructive suggestion in this regard?
Thanks

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I am afraid not. Horrible situation to be in.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,333
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    So if you have lost a big chunk, and they want even more - and this takes it almost to the market price …. Then how cheap did you get it?

What car, year, model and how much?

Did you meet them somewhere and hand over the cash or did they bring it to you?

What was the log book V5 situation?
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,894
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The insurance company will have paid out nearly the market price to the original owner, so they are not being unfair in asking for close to the market price from you. They could sell it to anyone else, and anyone else would be happy to pay a little less than market price. Have you pointed out to them that you have paid for the car once already and could do with a break?

I don't think there is anything you can do to get your money back, other than to try to find the fraudster. No doubt they are perpetrating the same fraud on others. You might be able to identify them by looking for ads that include the same language as the ad you responded to. It will be very hard work though.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,874
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you need a car immediately, buy a really cheap runaround to get you by whilst you await the outcome of all of this. If by chance you get a resolution then your outlay is minimised because you can just sell the runabout. Sadly, I think your money's gone though.
  • tirfk
    Its 12reg Audi Q5 9grand
    Insurance wants 11grand
    Met him at v5c registered address.
    Finalised deal after couple of days cash sale.
    Hpi check came clear and v5c doc legit.
    Apparently it was stolen few months ago.
    Its cat X and its real market value is around £12
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Make a civil claim against the individual who sold you a stolen car.
  • tirfk
    His numer no working and no one at address. Got his photo and video footage- gave to police
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,333
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    To get the V5 at the address he must have at least access to the property, worth £3 to get the land registry details. A £12k car for £9k sounds too good to be true.
  • tirfk
    Guys
    Its all done and I am suffering. There is no point in what I did and what i should have done etc etc; if someone who have gone through a similar situation in past or know who have gone- can you pls post some info which will be useful to me pls?
    Thank you
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Have you tried googling his tel number to see if it is linked to any other sales/scams?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure