Older and fitter

Options

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    does anyone still use a watch just for telling the time??

Yes, me! That's all mine does.
  • Souffle59
    Options
    Thanks TRAILINGSPOUSE that's all good advice, I went to the pre op physio appointment today and they said exactly the same as you! My intention is to start of with little walks locally and build up slowly from there. Luckily we have loads of nice places to walk, being by the sea! I have a few sitting down jobs lined up like sorting through and putting in albums a lifetimes worth of photos, starting knitting again, sorting out my address book (taking out all the deceased people - it always depresses me every Xmas!) and I am a distance learning tutor so that always keeps me busy. It's a bit scary as not had a big op before but looking forward to feeling better in the future.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Hope it all goes well for you Souffle. When's the op?
    When I had my hysterectomy 5 years ago, I had to walk every day, but for a variety of reasons I wasn't able to go out for the first week that I was back home - so I just walked in the house!! From the bedroom, into the spare bedroom, then into the bathroom, back to my bedroom, and repeat, for 10 minutes, twice a day. Then when I was well enough to go downstairs and outside I literally just walked to the end of our street (it's not a very long street) and back again. Then each day I walked a little further. Once I was walking 15 minutes up hill and 15 minutes back again, I decided I was better!
    All the very best.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Souffle59 wrote: »
    Hello :j
    I'm new to the forums, first post :beer:
    I'm 59 and about to undergo a major operation which means I will be out of action for 12 weeks! I am finding this hard to deal with as I like to be active, and am trying to keep positive with ideas for how I can get my fitness back afterwards. This last year has been ok but I haven't been able to go to the gym or walk as much as I like due to my condition, although I have 'kept dancing'! My husband and I dance Argentine Tango, which we love, and I can still manage, although I won't be able to dance for the 12 weeks so feeling pretty miserable about that :(
    I'm off to hospital tomorrow to find out what physio I will need to do following the operation, and I have been told I will be able to walk short distances at first and gradually build back up again.

Hi. I had a hysterectomy at 59, they cut me from belly button to pubes because they wanted to remove the massive cyst in one piece. I think 12 weeks to recover is the norm. I was shocked when I got the diagnosis and told it's best to take the whole lot away, I'm hardly ever ill, couldn't understand how it happened.

My sister stayed with me for five days after the op to help me, then I was on my own, apart from one or two friends popping in to ask if they could help, and someone pushing me around the supermarket in a wheel chair.

I very foolishly thought I was ok to mow the lawn, after all it's only walking up and down pushing the electric mower. I was ok on the day I did it, but felt rotten the day after. Very slow movements and gentle pottering around the house is best until gradually you gain your strength back.

Ten years later I am fine. Walking a lot, 1000 miles in a year, now on my fourth year. You will be fine, listen to the advice from doctors and medical people, and follow it.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • cupkate
    cupkate Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Trailingspouse, thanks for starting this thread.
    I am very overweight and in mid 50s. Still working full time in a sedentary job. Like you, I also suffered from back and hip pain. Ironically, hip pain came from injury on an exercise bike which led to the increase in weight!
    However, after struggling to get out of bed in the mornings because of pain and stiffness, I joined the gym, which has a swimming pool. I couldn't swim a full length without stopping half way at the beginning but now manage up to 10 lengths. Back and hip pains have all but gone. (Although I feel it creeping back if I sit for too long)
    Have also progressed to using gym equipment and lost 7 kg. Been too shy/scared to try exercise classes up till now. Reading this thread has inspired me to book a spot at a body pump class today. Fingers crossed I don't keel over!
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    That's just wonderful cupkate. Come back and let us know how you get on!! Just remember - if everyone was fit and skinny all the gyms and exercise classes would go out of business, so go for it!! You'll be as stiff as a board tomorrow, but don't let that put you off. Pain is just unfitness leaving the body...

It's amazing (although maybe we shouldn't be too surprised) that doing a bit of exercise helps with all our aches and pains. I guess it makes sense that if we're using our bodies the way they were designed to be used, everything just works better. And the pain after exercise is completely different from the pain due to sitting for too long!!
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cupkate wrote: »
    Reading this thread has inspired me to book a spot at a body pump class today. Fingers crossed I don't keel over!
    Good for you!

If this is your first, don't be put off by the fact that you don't know the moves, don't know how much weight is appropriate for each track -- you'll find you used too much in some, and perhaps too little in others! -- can't always find the rhythm, generally feel like a fish out of water, and then still maybe ache like hell for a couple of days afterwards.

All of these happened to me in my first couple of body pump classes. After the first, I couldn't even get a fork to my mouth that evening without my arm muscles complaining, and I grunted going up and down stairs for two days afterwards. But ... all of this recedes once you get in a bit of practice, provided you stick with it. After about three sessions the moves start to make sense, and then you can concentrate on form rather than just trying to remember what the heck an 'upright row' is, and on finding the right weights for you. Don't compete with others in the class; everybody is different, and you have to work to your own pace.

In the past two years I have gone from 'never set foot in a gym' to going eight times a week. I've even started to welcome some of the aches from exercise. Those are muscle building up. I just wish I had realised all of this earlier on in life. :-)
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2019 at 12:35AM
    Options
    My exercise of choice, I never get bored with it. Seven miles along Flamborough Head on Thursday. Fabulous scenery.

flambo%2B029.jpg

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    That looks wonderful Ilona - I haven't visited that neck of the woods in ages. You've got me thinking!!

Ed - '...grunted going up and downstairs for two days...' made me giggle. It's so true! I dragged my step-daughter to the gym yesterday. She's as fit as a lop (used to be a football coach), but has a 7-month-old baby so has been out of action for a while. Apart from a few gentle 'young mum' exercise classes, she hasn't done any serious cardio or functional work since Before Baby. She was very sensible, used the smallest weights and didn't push herself too hard. Nevertheless, she swore at me this morning...
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That looks wonderful Ilona - I haven't visited that neck of the woods in ages. You've got me thinking!!

Where did she go? I hope she hasn't slipped off the edge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure