Does my ex need to know where I live when I have my daughter?

Comments

• edmond
    edmond Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Spendless wrote: »
    I've got RL female friends (inc one with bi-polar) whose exes has also refused to tell them their address, when having their child/ren and tbh no matter how their ex has tried to dress it up why they should keep their address secret, in reality it has boiled down to one thing, it's been about still having some control over their ex . Nothing else.

So with the benefit of hindsight from someone who knows kids who got older whose Dad was playing this game, child learns how to read and tells their Mum the street name that they see pass in the car and the door number on the house. My own daughter was an early reader at 4-5 years old, so unless you live at a complicated address name or can design a route where child never sees the road signs, this will happen. Older step siblings may also tell child the address, there's also the chance if you don't live too far away that child will remember a route and be able to describe which house is yours.

What were your plans for keeping your address secret for years?

My situation is slightly different, as in my case it’s about my ex wanting some kind of control over me, trying to manipulate situations. This was a constant in our relationship, controlling mind games. It got to a point where I had become a different person. Like a lot of people you only realise how bad things were once your out of it.
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    pickledonionspaceraider Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 October 2018 at 10:03AM
    edmond wrote: »
    Thank you for your response.

Can I please start off by saying I have a young baby girl (a child) not a baby goat.

Right from the start I stated this was my perspective and I did not want to use her mental health issues as a reason for her behaviour.

As stated above my ex is a contract lawyer and very intelligent. When she was much younger she was Mensa tested and deemed to have a high IQ. I can only assume my daughter has inherited this intelligent from her mother.

My daughter was 2 1/2 when she first told me about my ex’s new partner. I think most 2 1/2 year olds would in some way be able to verbalise that a new man was in their life, a man who had moved into her house, gone on holidays. I think we can both agree that wouldn’t be to much of a stretch.

I have three children and I don’t not as you so eloquently put it ‘grill’ any of them. I have a very open relationship with all three and believe communication from both sides is key.

Legally as far as I know the mother or father has no right to know where the other live or what they do. I refer you to the judgment of the case of D. v D. (Shared Residence Order) [2001] 1 F.L.R 495, Lord Justice Hale said that where a child is being looked after by one parent, that parent must be allowed to take the decisions relating to the child. While this parent has care of the child, the other parent should not try to interfere with matters relating to this time during which they don’t have care of the child. This does not, of course, extend to taking decisions that contravene a court order. However, where possible, flexible and practical arrangements should be made.
    This had not been an issue for the last 8 months BTW.

My daughter did not go back to my ex’s with a bloody nose, the accident happened on a Saturday I dropped back on the Sunday.
    I did mention above I should have mentioned it when I dropped off. But as it had been dealt with I didn’t think it was an issue. This BTW was raised by my three year old to her mother. Maybe she was being grilled by her mum? Or maybe I have an intelligent daughter who is able to verbally communicate at a high level.
    When the accident happened my daughter was not with strangers, she was with me, my partner and my two older children. All of whom have been a part of my daughters life and all have met my ex partner.

You quite clearly know nothing about bipolar disorder. Let me elaborate.
    Bipolar disorder, previously known as manic depression, is a mental disorder that causes periods of depression and periods of abnormally elevated mood.The elevated mood is significant and is known as mania or hypomania, depending on its severity, or whether symptoms of psychosis are present.During mania, an individual behaves or feels abnormally energetic, happy, or irritable.Individuals often make poorly thought out decisions with little regard to the consequences.

I have to put faith in my ex as in the UK the law system often favours the mother meaning good men good fathers are left battling to see children who are being used as a pawn in a controlling one up mans ship game.

Honestly... to get down to the bones of it.... I am still struggling to understand any real reason you don't want your ex to know where you are living?

I know a great deal about Bipolar, you couldn't be more wrong, sadly - although I wish you were correct in your assumption

People with Bipolar go through a life time of discrimination, from every perceivable angle

Bipolar does not make you any less trustworthy

What is the real reason you won't give the mother the address? Do you fear she will turn up unannounced starting trouble? Has she been violent?

It just does not match up with the fact you are happy for your daughter to live with someone you say you don't trust. You will give her your daughter, but not your address..

What is the real reason? What has gone on before? What are you scared will happen?
    With love, POSR <3
  • Are you planning to try and keep you address secret from your daughter too?

Not very safe, kids should be able to tell someone their parent's address and phone number in case of an emergency, shouldn't they?
  • edmond
    Honestly... to get down to the bones of it.... I am still struggling to understand any real reason you don't want your ex to know where you are living?

I know a great deal about Bipolar, you couldn't be more wrong, sadly - although I wish you were correct in your assumption

People with Bipolar go through a life time of discrimination, from every perceivable angle

Bipolar does not make you any less trustworthy

What is the real reason you won't give the mother the address? Do you fear she will turn up unannounced starting trouble? Has she been violent?

It just does not match up with the fact you are happy for your daughter to live with someone you say you don't trust. You will give her your daughter, but not your address..

What is the real reason? What has gone on before? What are you scared will happen?

How many realationships where children are involved end where trust is lost or betrayed. Although you no longer have any trust in that person you hope they can be trusted with the welfare of a child.

In my case my ex has very erratic behaviour towards me, it’s all fine for a few months then there is a trigger and for a few weeks / months she will not allow me to see my daughter. This is the 3rd time this has happened in 18 months.

For her it’s all about control.
    It’s a form or mental bullying / control and sooner or later it has to stop.

For me it’s to protect my current situation. And my two eldest children who do not need to be exposed to such a person.

This has all deviated from the original question of legally having to inform my ex of my address not personal opinions.
  • Your posts are all just moans about your ex.

Fair enough, you don't like her anymore, but there are no real reasons here for not telling her your address.
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    pickledonionspaceraider Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 October 2018 at 10:38AM
    edmond wrote: »
    How many realationships where children are involved end where trust is lost or betrayed. Although you no longer have any trust in that person you hope they can be trusted with the welfare of a child.

On a romantic level or personal level , trust lost on many occasions when folk break up. But the opportunity to put the child first, where a child exists, is prevalent. It is no longer about you, your ex, or your feelings, it is about the child.

In my case my ex has very erratic behaviour towards me, it’s all fine for a few months then there is a trigger and for a few weeks / months she will not allow me to see my daughter. This is the 3rd time this has happened in 18 months. Well we only know bout the latest issue and I can honestly understand her pov due to the accident with the ball - which she wasn't told about.

You have lost HER trust as a parent, not as a romantic partner...they are just my thoughts and I realise you say you should have told her about the ball incident, however you didn't..but knowing that your daughter is likely to tell her, left yourself in a bad position there. You can't take that back.

Not only to bring up Bipolar again, but if your EX suffers with anxiety on top this could be a massive trigger for her, as in not knowing where her child is etc

For her it’s all about control.
    It’s a form or mental bullying / control and sooner or later it has to stop.Mental bullying wanting to know where their child is staying?? Have a word with yourself.. The way you have dressed this up I was expecting you to explain some violent past or hysterical window smashing. I still do not see a real reason or understand what you are scared of..

For me it’s to protect my current situation. And my two eldest children who do not need to be exposed to such a person.Protection from what? A person who worries about your/her kid getting hurt ?

This has all deviated from the original question of legally having to inform my ex of my address not personal opinions.

And going back to your original question - I think you must already know the answer yourself, as you seemed quite the legal expert, a few posts ago - when you were cutting and pasting...

It seems you have two choices

1- Give the address and continue the relationship with your daughter

2- Don't give the address, ....and lose the relationship with your daughter. Eventually drag it through the courts and maybe a long time into the future, reunite with your stranger daughter

Unfortunately your EX is going to be in your life for a long time to come. As you know yourself having older kids...You need to find a way to make it work...but IMO any attempt at keeping the address secret is going to be short lived and barely worth the dramatics
    With love, POSR <3
  • edmond
    Your posts are all just moans about your ex.

Fair enough, you don't like her anymore, but there are no real reasons here for not telling her your address.

See latter part of above post.
  • edmond wrote: »
    See latter part of above post.

Real reasons
    With love, POSR <3
  • edmond
    Real reasons

It really doesn’t matter what I respond with. If I elaborate more I will be accused of BS or just morning. I only wanted to understand from a legal standpoint where I stand.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Denying a parent the basic comfort of knowing their child's whereabouts is a horrible form of control.

You need really GOOD reasons and yours are not exactly convincing.

To be honest, you sound more like the one playing control games from the story so far.

Whether you legally have to disclose shouldn't come into it really.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure