Can you get fit without a gym

I'm a single mum who works 4 days a week so going to the gym is just not a possibility at the moment. I used to enjoy fitness classes and did a lot of them but nowdays walking (which i do a lot of whilst pushimg a 3yr old aroynd) is about the most i do. I was wondering if I could get a bit fitter/build a bit of muscle doing exercise dvds/ you tube videos and if anyone has any recommendations?

Comments

• wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Quick answer - Yes.

Have a look at Joe Wicks on YouTube, other channels available but it's a good place to start.

If you're short on time then interval training is your friend. 20 mins 3 or 4 times a week is enough.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Pushing your 3yr old around will get you fit if you do it vigorously for 20 minutes five times a week. Often this just requires you to take a slightly longer route to/from some you were going to anyway.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Park run - seen other parents doing it with a pushchair.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Oh I walk about an hour a day pushing her as I don't drive but feel I need something more
  • ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    You need a special type of pushchair for it to be safe to run with, but that's one possibility.

There are plenty of outdoor gyms in parks these days. Combining a few exercises on that equipment with some pram running would give you a decent work out.

If it has to be at home and you don't want to buy any equipment then it's still possible, there are no end of work out videos on YouTube that you could follow.
  • Your fitness gains are determined by what you do, not where you do it.

Walking isnt really going to improve your fitness very much. Can you have somebody watch your child whilst you get in a run? Or perhaps you could have a run when you are on your lunch break at work? Depending on the shower facilities. Could you cycle to work and turn it into a training session?
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    A bag of rice in each hand, then step up and down your bottom step for 5 mins including arm lifts/bends. Repeat daily.

It can be as simple as that.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The NHS has some podcasts for running and strength and flexibility that you can do without much stuff - think the strength/flex one is designed to be done in a park.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    I didn't realise you needed special pushchairs, but if you wanted to get your heart going a bit you could do a sort of fartlek - push, then jog for a bit (when and where might be decided by the pavement and other people).Quite a few ideas in the replies, so hope you find something that works for you.

Another exercise to get the heart going is skipping - cheap equipment and can be done anywhere with a spare 10 minutes.

I play women's football and there are plenty of mums in mine and other teams, but perhaps not practical for you at the moment as it's a bit of a time commitment. But I do exercises for this at home on my own: lifting weights to strengthen my knee and leg muscles, for example.
  • lozzy81
    lozzy81 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Check out rebecca louise on YouTube I have been doing some of her 10 min abs work out and they are great, she is really motivational as Well
    Virtual sealed pot 2019 member #6 :j
    £0.00/£200 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family