Dental Bridge over a gap of 2 missing teeth-Can it be done?

Hi Guys,

Been a few years since my last dental problem but here we go again.
Had a bridge over a gap of one tooth which was great for years, but last week the cap came away. What's left is a ground down rotted and infected tooth which has to be removed.

That leaves me with a gap of 2 teeth now so dentist has said need a denture fixing. However, I want another bridge. They have said.
they can't do a 2 gap bridge. Surely this is the same procedure but with a bigger gap. In fact my brother has one I'm sure.

Can a 2 tooth gap bridge be done? I can't see any reason why it can't!
Anyone know please?

Comments

• brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    There are many reasons why a bigger bridge may not be possible , ranging from the health and position of the remaining teeth and health of gums, to , if you are a NHS patient, where a denture would be provided as the most cost effective way of filling the gap.

If you want such a large bridge and it is technically possible , you would not get it on the NHS although you might be able to privately.

You need to discuss with your dentist the reasons the bridge is not possible, without seeing you and your xrays etc it is imp0ossible for anyone else to say for sure.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If the tooth under the bridge was 'rotted and infected' then something is going on in your mouth to rot and infect the teeth.

So if the same thing was done again, and you haven't got to grips with why this has happened, then in a few years time, 2 more teeth are going to be rotted and infected and you're up to a 4 tooth gap.

At least with a denture you're not chopping down 2 more teeth and making them more likely to fail in the same way.

So as Brook said, there are many reasons why a bridge may have been suitable for someone else, but not for you. You need to find out why in your case it is not considered suitable.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    a bridge does not "strengthen " a damaged tooth. The strongest thing is untouched tooth. Any man made replacement is a second best option.

Any prepared bridge comes with a 25% risk of the nerve inside the tooth dying.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite

Can a 2 tooth gap bridge be done? I can't see any reason why it can't!
    Anyone know please?

I had a one gap bridge same as you, then had to have a supporting tooth removed. Now I have a two gap bridge. I had it done 15 years ago. Ok up to now, no probs, but I don't expect it to last forever, (69 now). Staying optimistic with good oral hygiene. I was given the option of NHS at £200, or private £800, I went for private.

Be guided by the responses from the dentists, not from me.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • You prob need a denture as it can take upto 6 months for the bone & ligaments to heal. This will cause shrinkage , so would leave a gap under bridge if it was placed. Don't really do a lot of cosmetic work on NHS now, so you may have to go pvt. Discuss all the options with your dentist then see what is best.
    Though if you get treatment the dentist doess't think you fit the criteria for. You will be charged to fix anything again.
  • I had a 2-tooth-gap bridge fitted years ago. It lasted 16 years. When it broke, 10 years ago, dentist would not replace it. I enquired about implants, but was told I was too old, as bones in jaw would not take the implant. I knew I would never suffer the discomfort of a plate, so left the gap, and ate on other side of mouth. Consequently, the teeth on the other side took all the wear.

To cut a long story, last year I had a 2-tooth implant done privately to fill the gap. Cost £2500, worth every penny. Orthodontist assures me it will last longer than I do (I'm 70).

Good luck!
  • Rahul123
    Rahul123 Posts: 7 Forumite
    yes, consult a profecient dentisitfor fast results.
  • Scrounger
    Scrounger Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I had a 4-unit NHS bridge fitted for my missing lower front two teeth 27 years ago - and it is still going strong!
    It didn't cost me a penny as I was unemployed at the time. :beer:

Scrounger
  • OK, decided to have a denture fitted to cover the 2 missing teeth.
    I asked the dentist if it was a partial denture to cover just the 2 missing teeth and they said yes.
    Had dentures fitted today and 4 problems straight away.

1. The plastic piece covers all my upper teeth!
    2. It also covers almost all of the back of my upper teeth, which doesn't feel right.
    3. The plastic also covers the roof of my mouth much more than I thought it would!
    3. And when I close my mouth I can feel the denture with my bottom teeth.

Surely this can't be the normal fitting of dentures?
    Just thought I would check before complaining.
    The missing teeth look fine to be fair, but the fit is simply doing my head in.
    Plus, £250 for a piece of plastic doesn't help much either. It's like a licence to print money in my opinion.
  • akh43
    akh43 Posts: 1,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I had a 3 tooth bridge done on NHS 26 years ago after a tooth broke and not enough left for a crown. 18 months ago I had problems with one of the supporting teeth and it had to be removed so left with 2 of the teeth left which are so far holding up, but I hate the gap. I asked about my options and my dentist will only do a denture under NHS. She has said she can do the 4 tooth option as private at £350 (is that the going price?) a tooth. I am currently deciding what to do as not priority as lived with it for 18 months. I hate the gap both because food always getting caught in the gap and cosmetically as teeth different colour (I think the main reason my dentist will not do on NHS) My missing tooth that was part of bridge is at top 3 teeth from back, so bridge would be most of the top back teeth. I have had a temporary denture previously when a different tooth was removed and waiting for it to settle down before doing a bridge. I know I could not live with a permanent denture as I hated the weeks I wore it and could not wait to get rid as I found it so uncomfortable. I dont really fancy an implant due to the amount needed to be done and cost. I feel I will probably end up going for the 4 tooth bridge private option.
    Decluttter 2022⭐Declutter 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport