Cutting Down Alcohol Thread

Comments

• doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    8/30 for me please Muppets :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,284 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Glenda wrote: »
    Well I didn't succumb to the wine last night, as you said CathyBird I told myself I could have it another night if I really wanted it. I had 3 glasses of soda water and lime instead but ended up with a headache anyway. It must have been the lime...lol

Thanks everybody for your support I really appreciate it!

6/25 for me today please Baileys

Oh Glenda I'm so pleased that what I said helped! :) Sorry to hear you ended up with a headache tho anyway - perhaps some sort of withdrawal, even after 20 days? But still happy to hear that you found the "not now" mantra useful. I have always found that it works for me :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • cathybird
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    It would work if I had an ounce of willpower left, Maman! I became a non-smoker 12 years ago and a non-drinker four years ago and neither require much effort any more, but sugar .... It's my ultimate downfall. I'm a stone overweight and it's a stubborn stone that at the moment I seem to be stuck with. I can resist anything until about 4.00 pm every day but from then on, until I go to bed, I crave chocolate and failing chocolate, anything sugary. At the moment I'm okay with a couple of chocolate ginger biscuits and I can then stop myself, which prior to Lent this year I couldn't.

I'm awfully glad you're not here to see that I'm typing with my fingers crossed because yesterday there were three chocolate ginger biscuits left in the box. The box was in the bin by 4.05 pm.

Honey Bear, I feel your pain as I too have a stubborn 5kg/10kg that I feel I really should shift. The one thing I would say on the chocolate, and I don't really feel I can talk as I have no willpower towards chocolate either, but I find if I eat one mini avocado every day that I don't eat or crave so much choccy. I'm not saying it's a better alternative fatwise necessarily as avocados are fatty but it's good fat and they're good for you in all sorts of ways (I believe). If I don't eat the avocado I notice I end up raiding the cupboards. I usually eat it mid to late afternoon. Hey I love chocolate ginger biccies btw. :)
  • 5/22 for yesterday.
    Today will prob have 1 glass at home and then some on Tuesday and most likely Saturday.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Itisme_2
    Itisme_2 Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    6/12 please.
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    maman wrote: »
    Sorry if I seem to have been nagging you. :o

I wish I was there to give you a big pat on the back. You've done brilliantly to give up the most important things. :T:A

I do think the same techniques could be applied though. Would you go out in pj's to buy biscuits?? :D:rotfl:

You don't nag, Maman, you've been amazingly helpful over the past four years.

Thank you about the important things - I agree!

And no, I wouldn't go out in my pjs to buy bisuits! Speaking of which, the old job centre sort of next door closed down a few years ago when it moved to a spanking newbuild a few streets away. It was empty for a few years and attracted a few homeless people who stripped out all the pipes and then 'they' discovered asbestos, so that took a while to sort out. A couple of years ago it was converted into about 30 social housing units. No smoking in the building, so the front steps are now kneedeep in fag butts, and until about 10.00 am most day, a woman or two in their pjs, dressing gowns and slippers, puffing away while tapping a mobile phone. I feel old.
    fatrab wrote: »
    They're also a bit too expensive to be a viable option at almost the same price as their alcoholic equivalents.

I think they make B***s B**e in the same way as normal B***s and then dealcoholize it, so the production costs are the same or higher, as are the distribution costs. I'm really not sure about how duty is calculated on AF beers, although I notice I often get a 'Think 25' on my till slips when I pay for it - which is obviously a nonsense. So while I totally get your point about the cost as I usually only have one a day as opposed to two thirds of a bottle of wine, I calculated we're saving quite a bit as OH now usually only has one glass of wine, and he drank as much as I did in the olden days.

You're a lot braver and stronger willed than me, too, because I wouldn't go to a pub with Mr Bear for at least six months after I stopped drinking. I just couldn't trust myself.
    cathybird wrote: »
    Honey Bear, I feel your pain as I too have a stubborn 5kg/10kg that I feel I really should shift. The one thing I would say on the chocolate, and I don't really feel I can talk as I have no willpower towards chocolate either, but I find if I eat one mini avocado every day that I don't eat or crave so much choccy. I'm not saying it's a better alternative fatwise necessarily as avocados are fatty but it's good fat and they're good for you in all sorts of ways (I believe). If I don't eat the avocado I notice I end up raiding the cupboards. I usually eat it mid to late afternoon. Hey I love chocolate ginger biccies btw. :)

A woman of great taste, obviously. Next time we have an avocado, which we do a lot, I'll make a point of noticing if it kills the cravings. Nothing's going to kill the chocolate ginger biscuit cravings, though. ;)

8/30 please, Baileys.
    Better is good enough.
  • CuppaTea
    CuppaTea Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    4/17 please
    Live for the moment and plan for the future
  • Wanna_Bee_Free
    Wanna_Bee_Free Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Committing early - 3/14 for this evening please.

Interesting about the avocados. I’m finding almonds seem to be good at taking the edge of my craving for crisps, at least more often than not. There are some days nothing else will do though.
  • cathybird
    Morning all, 8/21 for me please. :)
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Almonds and avocados it is, then!

9/30
    please, Baileys.
    Better is good enough.