National Trust Membership

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    roddydogs wrote: »
    NZ website says "does not include parking"
    Nevertheless it does!
  • Quentin wrote: »
    Nothing cheeky about using the reciprocal arrangements with the heritage NZ.

That gives you admission to NT of England, Scotland AND English Heritage too

Not true. The only organisations who get free access to all EH sites are HIstoric Scotland, CADW and OPW (Irish Heritage). You will be able to gain access to sites with joint sites such Stonehenge and Housesteads (where monuments sit on NT land). You will get a DISCOUNT for admission, not for free. Stonehenge will only accept English NT (not even Scottish NT). I know this as I used to work for them. There is now a monthly DD which starts at £3. Historic Scotland is cheaper, but you will have to wait until year 2 for free admission (half price in first year).
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Dont forget that from 2018, you will need to scan your membership card to get a parking ticket, the sticker will Not be enough. Whether its enforced is another matter. Anyone with a Scots mem card care to tell us if they can get a ticket with it (its not being enforced till 2018).
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Dont forget that from 2018, you will need to scan your membership card to get a parking ticket, the sticker will Not be enough. Whether its enforced is another matter. Anyone with a Scots mem card care to tell us if they can get a ticket with it (its not being enforced till 2018).

Actually it has already started at a few places; Killerton Estate and Arlington House in Devon for example
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, but as I posted its NOT being enforced till 2018. Crazy situation then next year that a Scot sticker will be enough, but not an English one!
  • Incidentally, Heritage NZ membership does not allow admission to Wakehurst Place. Full list of benefits to members is here: http://www.heritage.org.nz/~/~/link.aspx?_id=A79E087FB9A44AA0A2566D2E70CC58CC&_z= z
  • beefturnmail
    beefturnmail Posts: 905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 September 2017 at 4:31PM

It's associated with the Botanical Gardens, Kew, London ...

Not just associated but actually (according to the website https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/wakehurst) 'funded and managed by the Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew', begging the question of why is it even on the NT website, with their branding all over it?

In fact (also according to the website) NT members, despite getting free entry, have to pay for parking. You only get free parking if you are a member of 'Friends of Kew' or 'Friends of Wakehurst'.

I've never been so not sure how they operate this in practice, but I imagine many NT members would assume that they would still get free parking here...

Wonder if certain other posters would think it immoral to use their NT membership to gain access to Wakehurst Place ...:D
  • thanks ino..
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Not just associated but actually (according to the website https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/wakehurst) 'owned and managed by the Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew', begging the question of why is it even on the NT website, with their branding all over it?

According to the NT website:
    Wakehurst is leased from the National Trust and is managed by Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.

I guess a condition of the lease is access for NT members.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • beefturnmail
    beefturnmail Posts: 905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 September 2017 at 4:36PM
    OK that makes sense - I had originally mis-read the website as saying 'owned and managed' by Kew but it actually says 'funded and managed' by Kew (The NT still own it)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure