Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 63
    • buel10
    • By buel10 29th Apr 19, 9:19 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    buel10
    You don't want a refund, what you must insist upon is the difference in what you've already paid for the SAS flights and the new flights with the alternative alirline.
    It would appear that SAS have made it almost impossible for you to contact them so making your own convenient arrangements. Compensation most likely due as pilots strike is not an EC.

jps, on what grounds are SAS refusing compensation?
    Originally posted by JPears
    Thank you for this.
    What would the chances be of getting a full refund by taking SAS to small claims court?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 29th Apr 19, 9:39 AM
    • 3,906 Posts
    • 2,431 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Ah... EC specific to pilot's strike, not compensation claims in general?

Yes, sorry. I meant that SAS are rejecting all claims for the flights cancelled during the currect strike.
    • Trichotoise
    • By Trichotoise 30th Apr 19, 4:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Trichotoise
    Finnair Cancellation
    I hope this is where I ask another question, rather than give an answer, apologiess if not.
    We had flights with Finnair, from Hong Kong to Helsinki, and Helsinki to Manchester, changed, departing us at 00.25, instead of 09.25. 30th April. This meant , mainly, we had to miss a family event, and scrap a hotel - although that had free cancellation. Can we still make a claim for compensation for the inconvenience despite arriving back in the Uk early?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 30th Apr 19, 5:24 PM
    • 3,906 Posts
    • 2,431 Thanks
    jpsartre
    I hope this is where I ask another question, rather than give an answer, apologiess if not.
    We had flights with Finnair, from Hong Kong to Helsinki, and Helsinki to Manchester, changed, departing us at 00.25, instead of 09.25. 30th April. This meant , mainly, we had to miss a family event, and scrap a hotel - although that had free cancellation. Can we still make a claim for compensation for the inconvenience despite arriving back in the Uk early?
    Originally posted by Trichotoise

When were you notified of the change? There's no explicit mention of schedule changes where a departure is brought forward in EU261 although I think a case could be made for compensation under some circumstances. However, it's all a moot point if you were notified of the change more than 2 weeks before your scheduled departure.
    • Trichotoise
    • By Trichotoise 30th Apr 19, 7:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Trichotoise
    It was just over 7 days from the travel date., so within scope according to the regs.
    • Justice13075
    • By Justice13075 30th Apr 19, 9:23 PM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Justice13075
    I think that your change of flight time is covered by their terms and conditions as below.

ARTICLE 9—SCHEDULES AND IRREGULARITIES
    9.1 SCHEDULES
    9.1.1 The flight times shown in timetables may change between the date of publication and the date you actually travel.

9.1.2 Before we accept your booking, we will notify you of the scheduled departure time in effect as of that time, and it will be shown on your Ticket. WE MAY NEED TO CHANGE THE SCHEDULE DEPARTURE TIME SUBSEQUENT TO ISSUANCE OF YOUR TICKET. If you provide us with contact information, we will endeavor to notify you of any such changes.

Somebody else might come along and disagree.
    • buel10
    • By buel10 30th Apr 19, 9:30 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    buel10
    You don't want a refund, what you must insist upon is the difference in what you've already paid for the SAS flights and the new flights with the alternative alirline.
    It would appear that SAS have made it almost impossible for you to contact them so making your own convenient arrangements. Compensation most likely due as pilots strike is not an EC.
    Sorry to trouble you again but two questions:
    1. How do I start this, please? Getting hold of SAS by any other means than phone seems impossible, and even that is close to impossible.
    2. Am I right in thinking that any compensation due to having to wait an extra 8ish hours will have to wait until this Danish court casel is resolved?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 1st May 19, 7:00 AM
    • 3,906 Posts
    • 2,431 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Sorry to trouble you again but two questions:
    1. How do I start this, please? Getting hold of SAS by any other means than phone seems impossible, and even that is close to impossible.
    Originally posted by buel10

There's a claim form here:

https://www.care.flysas.com/selfservice/feedbackform/Sections/EU261

Make it clear that you are looking for rerouting costs and attach all relevant receipts. Also make it clear that the rerouting option offered by SAS was not suitable and that you were unable to contact them for alternatives. I can see a potential problem in that you booked your alternative before your flight was cancelled but hopefully they won't notice that.

2. Am I right in thinking that any compensation due to having to wait an extra 8ish hours will have to wait until this Danish court casel is resolved?
    Originally posted by buel10

You can claim but SAS will reject it. So unless you're willing to take legal action yourself or hand it over to a claims company you may as well wait until the legalities have been clarified.
    • Murphya795
    • By Murphya795 7th May 19, 10:34 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Murphya795
    Hi all,

Long time forum reader, first time poster

I booked a flight with Primera Air in April 2018 which was delayed by x number of hours and was due to receive compensation, but they have since gone under and I'm new to the Section 75 rules

I paid on a credit card and have email confirmation from Primera the compensation was due, I completed the forms they sent out to me but unfortunately that was the last I heard

The credit card agent I spoke to kept referring to the transaction on my statement, but didn't seem to understand I'm owed compensation, not a refund

The flight booking was over £100 (as is the compensation) so I'm confident the value is sufficient to be covered and the payment was direct to Primera Air, no 3rd party involved

Would my credit card supplier be liable for my compensation now or have I missed my chance? Sadly I don't remember arranging travel insurance (I know...)

Any help would be great!
    • JPears
    • By JPears 7th May 19, 10:45 AM
    • 4,609 Posts
    • 1,257 Thanks
    JPears
    If you have evidence of the intended payout from Primera, I would have thought that as they have breached contract, the obligation now passes onto the credit card company. If you have tried via telephone without sucess, I would suggest it is time to use written letteer or email where ytou can explain yourself in full, with a paper trail.
    Start asking the credit card company about referral to the FOS if you get no joy.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 7th May 19, 10:46 AM
    • 11,975 Posts
    • 7,820 Thanks
    Caz3121
    as per this article you can register as an unsecured creditor (likely not get anything - as pretty common when airlines go bust)
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/10/primera-air-collapses---latest-info-and-your-rights/
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 7th May 19, 11:41 AM
    • 3,906 Posts
    • 2,431 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Has there been any reports of anyone successfully obtaining EU compensation from their creditcard provider after an airline bust? If it was possible it seems to me such cases (and this option) would be well-publicised.
    • Murphya795
    • By Murphya795 7th May 19, 2:11 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Murphya795
    Spoke to them on the phone again this afternoon and they've asked me to send everything in the post. It may take some time but I'll let you know if I have any luck

I had a good dig through the internet and found very little about this as an option

Thanks for the advice
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

616Posts Today

6,005Users online

Martin's Twitter