Do you tip in restaurants?

Comments

• Domayne
    Domayne Posts: 623 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Yes if the service was good. If they add the service charge automatically then no, i do not.
    Saved so far - £28,890.97
    ~Selfish is the name that the jealous give to the free~
    Save 12k in 2019 #18 £5,489.43/12000
  • Tipping is neither mandatory nor its amount rates the quality of the service. I usually pay a fraction of money to the servers, because I do not like to fade away their expectations.
    {Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com}
  • As a general rule - I don't 'Tip'.

When you go out to eat, the prices are clearly listed for the items you order.

The establishment has spent time and energy to work out these prices based on their costs (Materials/Labour/Running Costs etc.) and a % of Profit they want to make.

I pay the price listed on the menu for the items I order.

Once I've paid the listed price, why should I pay extra for the service.

The servers have been employed and are being paid for the job they are doing.

I don't expect anyone to 'Tip' me in my job, why are the servers any different.

• i dont tip for pretty much the same reasons as above. end of the day your being paid to do a job so why would i tip. no on tips me for doing mine! XD
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I sometimes going out with friends and this guy airways waits for us to put our share in which includes a 10% tip and then all he does is make the money up to the total price of the bill, so he ends up getting all the tips and I'm not quite sure how many times were going to go out before he feels guilty about it. Grrrrrrrr.

They'd swiftly be excluded from future invites.
  • pantaiema
    pantaiema Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 December 2018 at 7:25PM
    A question to those who tip here in the UK. A lot of people on MSE here are providing you the useful answer to your questions. In some cases it is equivalent to the professional services such as the one on finance, mortgage. Did you tip/pay them? Did you tip your doctors, dentists, pharmacists? Did you tip the young boys girls working in fast food chain like McD, KFC, Subway. Did you tip your bin man? If not why not?? Keep in mind the young boys, girls bin man probably need more money than the waitress in the restaurants?

People could probably understand when it is done in the US because waitresess is expected to top up their salary from tips. But here in the UK everyone get a decent minimum wage. The waitresess might be earning more than bin man. Say one of your young son, daughter or you yourself are working in McDonald none if them get tips. Are you feeling comfortable, you, your sons, daughter do not get tips while you tip other people in the restaurant?

By the end of the day it is your money but keep in mind your action spoil the market raising pressure expectation to anyone else to do the same. At some point you might become pensioners with poor pension pot, or people who were relying on benefit. You are now under pressure / great expectation to provide tips even your pension / benefit might be less than what this waitresses are earning.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    pantaiema wrote: »
    A question to those who tip here in the UK. A lot of people on MSE here are providing you the useful answer to your questions. In some cases it is equivalent to the professional services such as the one on finance, mortgage. Did you tip/pay them? Did you tip your doctors, dentists, pharmacists? Did you tip the young boys girls working in fast food chain like McD, KFC, Subway. Did you tip your bin man? If not why not?? Keep in mind the young boys, girls bin man probably need more money than the waitress in the restaurants?

People could probably understand when it is done in the US because waitresess is expected to top up their salary from tips. But here in the UK everyone get a decent minimum wage. The waitresess might be earning more than bin man. Say one of your young son, daughter or you yourself are working in McDonald none if them get tips. Are you feeling comfortable, you, your sons, daughter do not get tips while you tip other people in the restaurant?

By the end of the day it is your money but keep in mind your action spoil the market raising pressure expectation to anyone else to do the same. At some point you will become pensioners with poor pension pot, or people who are relying on benefit. You are now under pressure / great expectation to provide tips even your pension / benefit might be less than what this waitresses are earning.

I suspect much of this is to do with the time spent and the personal (!) service involved. A waiter/waitress can spend a number of hours dealing with your group and their ongoing requirements. All your examples are "in and out". Perhaps a better comparison is the hairdresser who many people do tip.

And not everyone "will" become a pensioner with a small pension pot or be on benefits.
  • I sometimes going out with friends and this guy airways waits for us to put our share in which includes a 10% tip and then all he does is make the money up to the total price of the bill, so he ends up getting all the tips and I'm not quite sure how many times were going to go out before he feels guilty about it. Grrrrrrrr.

That is cheeky... Taking advantage of other people generosity...
  • pantaiema
    pantaiema Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 December 2018 at 7:42PM
    NeilCr wrote: »
    I suspect much of this is to do with the time spent and the personal (!) service involved. A waiter/waitress can spend a number of hours dealing with your group and their ongoing requirements. All your examples are "in and out". Perhaps a better comparison is the hairdresser who many people do tip.

And not everyone "will" become a pensioner with a small pension pot or be on benefits.

Your dentist, doctors, surgeon, dentists nurse, nurse in the hospital might be spending more hours with you if you need to be hospitalised. Did you tip them? If not why not?
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    edited 23 December 2018 at 9:24PM
    pantaiema wrote: »
    Your dentist, doctors, surgeon, dentists nurse, nurse in the hospital might be spending more hours with you if you need to be hospitalised. Did you tip them? If not why not?

Probably because

a) they are likely paid a lot more than a waitress - especially dentist, doctors, surgeons. ETA I strongly believe nurses should be paid more.

b) Arguably, if NHS, I am already contributing to their salaries through taxes, NI contributions. If private I suspect they are doing fine anyway.

c) the waiter/waitress is contributing to my enjoyment of a night out - particularly, if the service is good. Not sure medical staff (much as I have huge, huge respect for them -my mum being a nurse) are doing that!

d) it's how it is. There's professions/jobs who get tipped and there are those that don't. My mum would never have expected to be tipped but she happily tipped in a restaurant. Do you tip anyone?

ETA.

On the couple of occasions I have been in hospital for any length of time I have returned with chocs and flowers to thank the nursing staff for their superb care. Perhaps it's about showing appreciation in different ways?

After all it tends to be policy for NHS staff not to accept cash gifts

https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/coi-qa-provider-managers.pdf
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback